Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
SSsssteamer

Default Repro Parts That Don't Fit

I just finished up a '31 PU restoration and I though a heads up for the "Ford Barn" was needed for the Repro parts that didn't fit. I purchased the reproduction parts from several parts suppliers so I cannot fault just one of the suppliers.
*Distributor rotors had a large 0.1" spark gap. Rotor spark gap should have only been a 0.025 " gap.
*Speedometer cable to the speedo drive's round retaining nut was made of pot metal and in only hand tightening, the cable's nut crumbled into pieces.
*The reproduction headlight switch body didn't fit into the bottom of the steering column. The reproduction light switch body is not shouldered correctly.
*The new exhaust pipe clamp had a too small of inside diameter to fit around the exhaust manifold. I used an old clamp rather than spending the time grinding out the new part to fit.
*The 1930 - 31 model A new tail light parts and lenses will not easily interchange with the original A Ford tail lights.
*The new flimsy 1930 -31 emergency brake lever is made of much thinner metal than the original Ford part, and the lever can easily bend. Replate an original emergency brake lever instead of buying a cheaply made reproduction.
* Polarity of the new amp meter was reversed. I had to reverse the wires from that of what an original amp meter would have been wired.
With enough filing and repair, most parts can eventually fit. The best advice is to buy original Ford parts for these areas of new misfits. Do you know of any other reproduction misfits?
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote