Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
Fordestes

Default Torque tool for stromberg .97,.48,

I have been searching for a torque tool for torqueing Stromberg carburetor assemblies. I have a regular inch pound torque meter but it is cumbersome to use , I was told to check out an aircraft supply . What are the torque specs for the Stromberg castings? What do you pro's use for this task?
Thanks Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Don

Default Re: Torque tool for stromberg .97,.48,

Have never heard of any specs on these but there might be,just use common sense,not to tight as to strip,I'm sure a lot have been striped tho..
Old 11-26-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
tubman

I was having trouble with a Holley 4 bbl a few years ago, so I bought a "torque-screwdriver" that worked well for me. In the absence of specific torque specs for a particular situation, there are charts out there that give the recommended torque by fastener size that I'm sure will get you close enough.

(BTW, after making sure all mating surfaces were dead flat using a surface plate and torquing all the screws to their recommended values, the carb has been trouble-free since then.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
Fordestes

I try and use common sense myself, But I have a physical condition, I can shake a persons hand and not feel how firm the handshake is, due to an old injury therefore It is my intention to do as specified or close anyway, according to manufacture rec. The last person(s) have distorted the tops and bowl assemblies to the point of almost stripping the threads. Who is the best supplier to buy thread inserts to replace the stripped threads on the outer bowl/body assy. ?
I would think in this world of ours there are spec."s for just about everything.
Yes I too have told a lot of people through the years to stop tightening just before it breaks !lol
Old 11-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

estes..
Perhaps Uncle Max will join in here.......but what learned a long time ago was you tighten the cap screws until the lock washers just collapse then a tiny nudge more.Remember this stuff is 80 years old give or take and if some torque specs were
unearthed they would be for fresh new threads not at all what you are working with
.....hey, it's a flathead......Kentucky windage and common sense.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
Fordestes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Do you happen to remember what Brand Manufactured the torqueing type driver? I have talked to a few tool sellers like snap -on and no one can realize what I want, they keep trying to sell me a Torx bit set , we used a torque type T -handles for some of the old Cummins Diesel Engine Top Stop Injectors, My T-Handle is seized from lack of use for the past 30 Years and wont do it. Thanks again
Old 11-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

Part 2
My suggestion for repairing the 10-24 air horn threads is to tap them to 12-24.
10-24 heli coils are pretty fragile especially given the die material the air horn and bowl are made of. I make # 12 cap screws with #10 heads for both Strombergs and Ford carbs......we do what we gotta do.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
tubman

If you mean me, it looks kinda like a regular screwdriver that takes the standard 1/4" hex bits, so you can use it on just about everything. I'll dig it out tomorrow when I go to the shop and post the specifics here. If you're not asking me, sorry for butting in.

I'll also see if I can find my "Torque by Fastener Size" chart and post that too.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #9
Fordestes

Charlie I have the same thoughts to the fact the parts are 80 years old , that is a good idea to rely on the spring lock pressure of the washer. I have a few that have been stripped and I want to repair some for my engine, I remember Walt the engine builder up in maine who was using a 4x2 Edelbrock , I want to build a 3 -5/16 X 4- 1/8 with either an L100 or an 10-07 B or An old H&C I have had in the rack for over 40 + years, my question here is how is the carb's on Walts engine Jetted and what power valves? I have looked this manifold over and it looks as if the carbs only feed two cylinders and it would not work to try and block off a couple of carbs for the wow factor, Twenty years ago I refused a 4 carb set up because I figured it would be way too much, as I Remember Mr. Dupont was getting around 18 miles per gallon.
there is no doubt a suitable way to use this 4X2 manifold.
Someone has spent a lot of time working with a system like that to achieve such positive results.
Fordestes
Old 11-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #10
rotorwrench

As was mentioned, there are torque set screw drivers available but the specs are problematic. Were talking 8 to 14 IN/LBs range which isn't much torque. Folks would try to reuse gaskets and torque the screws tighter to compensate. Plus most back yard wrenches are heavy handed. I'm with Charley NY in post #5 on torque and always use new gaskets if at all possible.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
Fordestes

Yes Tub man , I was , I am sorry for the confusion, It would be greatly appreciated , No big hurry, I have trouble using a keyboard, I have a spinal injury and have issues with using my arms and my hands repeatedly, so I try and cut it short as possible.
Thanks Tubman for you efforts.
Fordestes.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #12
Fordestes

Rotor Wrench , Thanks , I will also check into buying a new Cummins T -handle , I think it was calibrated to about 60 or so inch pounds or there about. I may be able to soak it in some kroil and see if it works again, it has sat in my tool cabinet for many years unused . appreciate you all.
Fordestes
Old 11-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #13
uncle max

For Walt's 4x2 rig I used .043 main jets in all four with #67 pv's in the two middle and #69 pv's in the two end carbs. Direct linkage and be sure the throttleshafts are new with new bushings. Parallel reamed with three thousandths clearance. (Very important for a good idle).
Oh, and 7 in/lbs is what it says in the old books for the 10-24 airhorn screws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Charlie I have the same thoughts to the fact the parts are 80 years old , that is a good idea to rely on the spring lock pressure of the washer. I have a few that have been stripped and I want to repair some for my engine, I remember Walt the engine builder up in maine who was using a 4x2 Edelbrock , I want to build a 3 -5/16 X 4- 1/8 with either an L100 or an 10-07 B or An old H&C I have had in the rack for over 40 + years, my question here is how is the carb's on Walts engine Jetted and what power valves? I have looked this manifold over and it looks as if the carbs only feed two cylinders and it would not work to try and block off a couple of carbs for the wow factor, Twenty years ago I refused a 4 carb set up because I figured it would be way too much, as I Remember Mr. Dupont was getting around 18 miles per gallon.
there is no doubt a suitable way to use this 4X2 manifold.
Someone has spent a lot of time working with a system like that to achieve such positive results.
Fordestes
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Just one of several different ones that are available on EBAY.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tohnichi-12...-/271731201824

Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #15
tubman

Boy, that sure is fancier than mine! (More expensive, too.)
Old 11-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #16
Fordestes

Thanks Tub man, I searched E-Bay and all I found was a injector torque adapter, You Done magic , mabe I didn't know exactly how to word the search, I am watching this tool you found, Thanks Tubman for your help.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #17
Fordestes

Awesome Uncle Max.
I have thought about the carbs you built for Mr. Dupont. I planned on talking to you about the set up , I am getting more serious about trying the 4x2 , Like I said earlier , twenty years ago, I declined a manifold for the 4 carbs ,I just wrote that setup off as a Bonneville High speed only type of system, You have no doubt done something I would have thought impossible , atleast for my skill level . LOL , I appreciate the info , I may just send you some carbs , I was thinking about doing the Zink plating to stop corrosive fuels like alcohol . I am going to copy the post and probably have more questions. I appreciate your input.
Fordestes
Old 11-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #18
flatrod

I have a Snap-on screw driver style similar to the Ebay one. Snap-on #QTS135. it is 5 to 35 in lb. Bought it new years ago and never did use it.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Not cheap, new $324!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QTS135.jpg (28.0 KB, 22 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #20
tubman

This is the one I bought : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Less than $50 bucks (including bits!). Must have worked, because my Corvette has run flawlessly since I did the carb.