Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default 7 tooth steering lubricant...

This may not be correct (I know it is not correct for this purist) BUT when I restored my 7 tooth steering column 20 years ago, I put a good mixture of Blue boat wheel grease in and around the "oil" cavity of the column itself.

I followed this with a good amount of oil to take up the voids.

20 years later, I find absolutly, positively nothing wrong with the steering...no leaks...no worn parts and no "special" tubes and still going strong.

What can I say and will do my next column in the same manor.

Pluck (who deviates from his purist ways once in a while).
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: 7 tooth steering lubricant...

I can see where it can work better than oil alone, the grease helps form a plug at the bottom to minimize leakage at the light rod, yet the channels in the grease are filled with oil to lube the moving parts.

Have you taken it apart ??--if so how much grease was still in the form of grease, how much is in a mixture of grease and oil, how much is pure oil??

I feel that the u-joint is lubed in a similar way, the grease fills the space, seals the "bell", the oil that moves out of the trans through the rear bearing fills the channels in the grease and lubes the u-jount.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Have not had to take it apart as there is no need to as everything is just as tight as it was 20 years ago.

Pluck
Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Ron/IA

Steve, Kurt, and Others - I recently was reading "TINY TIPS For Your Model A" published by MAFCA. On page 107 there is a tip about a grease sold by Ford and labeled "Steering Gear Grease." The author of the tip asked George DeAngelis for information/comfirmation about this. His reply was the grease was issued as p/n C3AZ19578-A in 1963 as ECR-405690, and reapproved in 1979. The author had been using this stuff for 30-years, and his Model A steering box with it doing the lubrication job it was supoosed too.

Anyway, part of the spec sheet for the stuff was: "Grease used as a long life lubricant for steering gear housings, and expected to last the life of the vehicle."

I haven't tried looking, but I wonder if it is still available? - Ron/IA

Last edited by Ron/IA; 05-20-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron/IA View Post
Steve, Kurt, and Others - I recently was reading "TINY TIPS For Your Model A" published by MAFCA. On page 107 there is a tip about a grease sold by Ford and labeled "Steering Gear Grease." The author of the tip asked George DeAngelis for information/comfirmation about this. His reply was the grease was issued as p/n C3AZ19578-A in 1963 as ECR-405690, and reapproved in 1979.

Anyway, part of the spec sheet for the stuff was: "Grease used as a long life lubricant for steering gear housings, and expected to last the life of the vehicle."

I haven't tried looking, but I wonder if it is still available? - Ron/IA
I bought a couple of tubes of this grease several years ago from the Ford parts department, and loaded my two-tooth box with it during the rebuild. After about 1500 miles and a lot more reading about Model A steering boxes vs lubricant, I added 600w up to the fill port. After about one minute of back-and-forth at the steering wheel with the front end on jack stands, the steering was noticeably easier.

I think Kurt is right. I don't know if my steering is better with the mix than with oil alone, but I do know it's better with the mix than with grease alone, even if it is Ford's "Steering Gear" grease.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Joe,

Mr. Rude tought me that trick!

Pluck