Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #21
160B

Default Re: Future of Collectible Cars.... something to think about

This is from an old news letter years ago, but it is worth the read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dollars and cents a.jpg (77.7 KB, 95 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #22
robert shreveport

Good article, we ME included need to support our clubs.
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #23
Keith True

Tom,we call those whiskey dents around here.Very common.Years ago I was sitting with a friend that was worried about what would happen to his cars.He wanted to create a way to preserve them,but his lawyer told him pretty bluntly,you can't rule from the grave.All it would take to change the situation would be one mechanics lien,one storage bill,one IRS lien,to sanitize the car and hand it to a new owner.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #24
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Tom,we call those whiskey dents around here.Very common.Years ago I was sitting with a friend that was worried about what would happen to his cars.He wanted to create a way to preserve them,but his lawyer told him pretty bluntly,you can't rule from the grave.All it would take to change the situation would be one mechanics lien,one storage bill,one IRS lien,to sanitize the car and hand it to a new owner.
Or, the buyer that promised to keep it preserved dies, or changes his mind and sells it, or needs the money and sells it, etc.

When you sell them, they are not yours anymore. You can't control what happens to them.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #25
Keith True

A man with a small junkyard had a 31 coupe that he had owned for over 40 years.It was a fixed up old car,nothing special,it was built and kept going with the best parts that came in as junk.His widow wanted a lot of money for the car,but she cut the price in half for a young fellow that carried on about how he would preserve that car in just the way it had been for all those years.He bought it on a Saturday morning,and that afternoon the car was stripped.Sunday morning I bought the hood,fenders,and frame.My friend got the engine,trans,and the axles.The buyer wanted the body for a street rod and told the old woman what she wanted to hear to get it from her.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 PM   #26
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
This is from an old news letter years ago, but it is worth the read.
Interesting theory Don. There are a number of people that like A's but not clubs, but on the other hand, new owners that aren't "mechanically" inclined ect, probably wouldn't invest in an A without someone(clubs) to help them.
The Seattle club has a monthly Doctor Day which really cements members into the hobby,as well as the club. Except for the occasional jerk that sells his car, and leaves the club,after we get it running.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Somebody is buying them and the prices are not falling.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #28
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Somebody is buying them and the prices are not falling.
The A's and T's are not going away. Take lots of pictures of your cars now. Soon all the old cars will be sporting 350's and mag wheels.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #29
wallster

My wife insists that as time goes on, the people who collect cars (based on their love of their cars) will dwindle and she doesn't think there will be enough interest to maintain the value of old classic cars. It's a debate that rages on in our house because I take a different approach. We have a '56 Chevrolet "restomod" (that she absolutely loves) and our '30 Tudor (which I love). I don't look at them as an investment (like a Monet painting), they will always have some inherent value just because they're interesting now and will be interesting years from now, maybe not to as many people but who really knows. I look at these cars as something we enjoy together, like a vacation. People go on vacation and spend their hard earned money with nothing physical to show, instead they receive cherished memories. When I'm dead and gone and those cars are left for our kids (God willing) they can keep them, sell them, junk them, who cares? We will have enjoyed them for eternity.

Wally

WallysSpectacularManCave
wallster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #30
Russ B

Very few cars should ever be bought and considered an investment. ... least of all one of the millions of Model A's. That said, I love my Model A's and have spent way too much on each one for a real investor to ever consider making me whole. Money was spent on them for my pleasure and enjoyment. No regrets, I simply hope my children and grandchildren get pleasure from them when I am gone.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #31
Jeff/Illinois

Good responses, all. Enjoy reading them and YES I apologize that I brought up the third most worn-out Model A subject (behind white walls and motor oil) it has just been a hot topic subject here at the local pub during the long winter months.

I was shocked Monday when three very good old car friends I have know for years, all in their early 50's, had told me that they unloaded their cars and all their parts (not Model A these were Torinos, Mustangs and one guy had a very very nice '67 Chevelle) they were sour on old cars and turning to other venues.

That's life! But one of the guys said he is smoking hams and making homemade sausage as his new hobby Have fun with THAT I know at least two of them will be back into cars by the end of the year!

Have a Model A Day as Jim Cannon says
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #32
1942deluxe

Jeff, The only modern car I can think of that went up in value would be the Ford GT.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #33
Cornishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post
Jeff, The only modern car I can think of that went up in value would be the Ford GT.
There are plenty this side of the Atlantic that have seen their values multiply.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

For another hobby don't take up bees and honey.........you'll get stung every time.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #35
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
For another hobby don't take up bees and honey.........you'll get stung every time.
boooo

My problem is space - I come across really good deals once in a blue moon for a classic car but absolutely no indoor space to put it and storage units are 65 for a 10x14 or 85 for 10x20 a month...Let alone time to actually work on one that isnt driveable (storage units typically dont have power and lugging a generator around aint fun) tarps are useless, those portable tarp garages suck, so I'd rather not get things that I cant properly care for...

Its the ol trifecta of anything: TIME, MONEY, and SPACE - you get to pick 2...
Old 01-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #36
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post
You are 100% correct. They have gone WAY up I forgot about them. The new GT's that Ford is bldg. will have an MSRP of around $400K. I guess they decided to put the profit in their pockets this time.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #37
SeaSlugs

theres been a handful of cars that have gone up recently - some of the rare ferarris and such. but anything they mass produced - no...
Old 01-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #38
Cornishman

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...0/1903124.html
You beat me to it!
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #39
CHuDWah

Get over the idea that your Model A is an "investment". If you want your money to make money, put half of it in a stock index fund and the other half in a bond index fund - no brainer investment that should beat inflation by at least double. You won't get rich on old cars unless you're a professional and/or dealing in rare, desirable ones. Even then, you may lose your shirt (or the hind portion of your anatomy). You'll be doing good to recoup half what you have in your Model A. But that's not the point. A model A isn't an investment, it's a hobby/entertainment/toy/whatever. Don't spend more than your disposable income on it and don't worry about getting it back.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #40
1930marie

When I had one of my very first memories, it was of my dad sitting on the gas tank of a 1922 Ford Model driving it up the ramps of his back hoe trailer to haul home. I watched my dad systematically tear that piece of junk down to it's frame and begin it's restoration. I later learned he had paid $300.00 for that car back in 1960. Remember what Hemmings Motor News looked like then? He called some of the advertisers in Hemmings from all over the country and bought a lot of parts to complete his beloved 22 T. It came out beautifully. I grew up around these old cars even though my high school gang were buying SS Nova's, Mustangs, Road Runners', Cuda's, and you know the rest. Oh yeah, we bought headers, high rises, holleys and ported and polished our heads, balanced the block, and added line-loc for the finishing touch. We were a fast bunch of car nuts and loved the drag track we had on Friday night!
I still have a place in my heart for those cars, but guess what's in my garage? Yep, my beautiful Marie (40B) in loving memory of my dad. I've been looking for a 1912 or 1914 Touring (he had both) and then may be I will be happy. I grew up with these old timeless cars and dearly wish I had spent more time than I did with my dad working on them. His knowledge bordered on encyclopedic and his shop...was just fabulous. He had all the tools and equipment organized and still had room for 14 cars to be lined up across from each other on jack stands. The building which was architectually identical to the main house, was only about 10 feet from the family car garage. To this day I dream of having a shop and home like he had. Just wasn't in the cards for me. But thanks to my dad, I caught the bug on my 60th birthday and have had a wonderful time meeting lots of terrific people in this great hobby of ours.
Now who has an original 1912 or 1914 Touring for sale?