Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
wspiker

Default 1940 Ford Radio Install

It appears to me that the process is to remove the radio nut from the top of the radio, raise the radio up under the dash and line-up the hole for radio nut with the hole where roof mounted antenna is located. At that point, screw the radio nut into the spot where it was removed, as this nut will hold the radio in place by suspending it from the dash. I assume this is correct? In doing this, it appears that a hex-head from the radio nut will be visible on the dash and will not be covered by the antenna hold down nut. Is this correct?

Thanks,
wspiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 1940 Ford Radio Install

Yes, that is correct. There is part of the antenna kit that has a cover you install before the plastic nut of the antenna that hides that hex part of the radio mounting nut.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
4dFord/SC

There are also two J-hooks that attach to the ears on each side of the radio and hook into holes in the underlip of the dash.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
wspiker

Thank you. Can you advise what that part is called, number, etc.? I have perused Drake and Carpenter catalogs to try and identify. I have the Antenna Hold-down nut, 01A 18818-B.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
push_rod

What you need from Bob Drake is:

Speaker boot: 01A-18820 (may be out of stock)
Mounting hooks: 01A-18807
Radio Nut: 01A-18808
Antenna: 01A-18813-D

I would make certain to have a helper to hold the radio in place during installation of the Radio Nut and Mounting hooks (The radio is quite heavy). In order to install a radio into a 1940 passenger car, you must have the shallow cigar lighter well with the wire that comes out pointing to the side (instead of straight out the back).

What you currently have, 01A-18818-B. is the plastic nut that holds the bottom of the antenna to the Radio Nut (The complete antenna kit includes that part, and a chromed metal cover that hides the Radio Nut.). The Radio Nut (01A-18808 holds the top of the radio to the dash, but should not be allowed to support the full weight of the radio without the mounting hooks installed.).

See attached photos; the first is the dash on my dad's 1940 Tudor (modified radio installation, but stock antenna.) the next two are from Bob Drake's website.

Best regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40antenna.jpg (12.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 40RadioAntenna.jpg (9.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 40RadioParts.jpg (16.3 KB, 77 views)
push_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
wspiker

Thank you, thank you, Push_Rod. The speaker boot is 'out of stock' all over the country. Most told me they had not had a speaker boot for a couple of years. I was able to get the hooks, radio nut and antenna hold down nut from Dennis Carpenter. All others I contacted are out of stock. I got the impression that the demand for these items is way down and may not justify future production? But, that is just my impression. The person who restored the radio I have, Classic Auto Electric, McPherson, KS, was able to supply a speaker boot! I was lucky, I think, in that regard. If I need to buy the complete antenna kit to obtain the 'chrome metal cover that hides the Radio Nut' that is what I will do. As info, I will not cut a hole in my '40 Ford roof to accommodate an antenna! Somehow I just need to cover the Radio Nut? I will install radio, full hook-up, turn it on, shut it off and put the antenna on the shelf. I just want to be able to say I have a refurbished, working radio.............. Nothing to listen to on AM anyhow. Thank you all very much for your help. Regards, Daryl in Sacramento.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
deuce_roadster

I think I have an extra from an incomplete antenna setup I have for parts. If you PM me your address and email address I will look for it and send it to you. It is part of the whole antenna kit so you won't find this by itself.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
wspiker

Great! Thanks........ PM has been sent.

Daryl
Old 12-07-2014, 12:43 AM   #9
fatkoop

I've found it really helps if you remove the front seat so you can lie down on the floor. I'm not nearly flexible enough to make all the contortions needed (or have enough hands) to install the radio with the seat in place.
fatkoop is offline   Reply With Quote