Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
bgalla

Default Front fender brace for 36 cabriolet

Just put the fenders on my 36 Cabriolet restoration. I have two different front fender supports. One is 21 1/2" long and the others are 23" long, the short ones can be bent a little and will pull the fender in a little and the longer ones will push the fender out a little depending on where it attaches to the frame. Where are they supposed to attach to the frame???? Does anyone know the correct length for the brace?? Help! thanks Bruce
bgalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
RalphM

Default Re: Front fender brace for 36 cabriolet

If you are talking about the “flat” brace that also supports the headlight, I know that 1935 is different from 1936. Different length. There is a good article on the H.A.M.B. search Fender Brace
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
V8ER

A new old stock '36 front fender brace 68-16094 measures 23". It attaches to the frame under the upper bolt that also attaches the fender to the frame.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalla View Post
Just put the fenders on my 36 Cabriolet restoration. I have two different front fender supports. One is 21 1/2" long and the others are 23" long, the short ones can be bent a little and will pull the fender in a little and the longer ones will push the fender out a little depending on where it attaches to the frame. Where are they supposed to attach to the frame???? Does anyone know the correct length for the brace?? Help! thanks Bruce
Post some digital pictures of your brackets here so we can see and understand what you have. Also show the points you are measuring to and from. There are several differnt brackets used on front fenders of 36 Fords. If you can't figure out how to post pics, you could email them to a member here that will post them for you.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-26-2019 at 10:47 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
DavidG

With those dimensions it can only be the brace directly behind the wheel opening. The main bracket forward of the wheel opening that supports the head lamp is much shorter in overall length (height).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #6
bgalla

Thank all for your input! This brace that I'm talking about (48-16025, I think) goes from the rear lower bottom edge of the fender tire well and is a channeled curved piece of heavier sheet metal. Hope that helps. A picture will follow, but not for a day of two for my shop is a long way from my computer. I'm in Northern California and it is raining cows and horses now. Thanks Bruce
Old 02-27-2019, 12:51 AM   #7
rich b

When I was looking for info on the brace; someone posted a couple pictures that showed it mounted thru the fender lip instead of the direct to the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 Ford left front fender bracket 2.jpg (29.7 KB, 56 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
When I was looking for info on the brace; someone posted a couple pictures that showed it mounted thru the fender lip instead of the direct to the frame.
I recall posting that picture, along with a group of pictures, taken of all the fender support braces/brackets on my original/Rouge '35 fordor sedan.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=Fender+braces

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-27-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
bgalla

Figured it out, thanks for the help all. Bruce
Old 03-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #10
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I recall posting that picture, along with a group of pictures, taken of all the fender support braces/brackets on my original/Rouge '35 fordor sedan.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=Fender+braces
Thanks, For the update, I didn't know who to give credit to for the picture (I have way to many pictures saved on my computer and phone).

I sure appreciate all the info you along with others share on the FB and hope the info I share is useful to someone, too.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Thanks, For the update, I didn't know who to give credit to for the picture (I have way to many pictures saved on my computer and phone).

I sure appreciate all the info you along with others share on the FB and hope the info I share is useful to someone, too.
Rich, I really don't expect any credit.....just enjoy helping other early Ford V8ers.
I mainly wanted to post the link that goes back to pictures posted of all the 35 fender brackets on my fordor sedan..