Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2022, 01:24 AM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: Painting an aluminum radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
I put BBQ paint directly onto a couple aluminum radiators; seemed to hold up well. Even when removing bugs from the one in my roadster.
Or my teeth....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goggleman.JPG (112.7 KB, 49 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:27 PM   #22
GB SISSON

I primed the radiator this evening. I used the rustoleum 'self etching primer'. On the back of the can it claims it is excellent on aluminum. Maybe in an hour I will take advantage of the residual heat from the wood stove in the cabinet shop and give it a light coat of the satin black. That way I can plumb it into the six tomorrow. I really like this primer so I primed the radiator support bracket with it as well. I will get a pic or two soon.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-29-2022, 11:43 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Here is the primer I used. I painted the black an hour later but it looks glossy until it dries. Time will tell if this works out. To me, painting shiney aluminum and it flakes off in patches, big or small looks way worse than just leaving it aluminum. It's sorta like poor rust repair.... The bubbling bondo under glossy paint looks way worse to me than some rust damage on a door bottom. BTW, the radiators made for a sbc into a flathead V8 vehicle line up nicely with the Ford flathead six. Didn't need to reinvent the wheel on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg self etching primer.jpg (119.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg primer 2.jpg (100.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-31-2022, 02:01 PM   #24
pistonbroke

GB, Go down to East Sound marina and grab a can of outboard lower unit primer then just mist it on lightly and paint what ever color you want . It will stick! Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:38 PM   #25
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
GB, Go down to East Sound marina and grab a can of outboard lower unit primer then just mist it on lightly and paint what ever color you want . It will stick! Tim
That would be Westsound Marina Tim, and I have to say the way they paint outboards today, they look new for many, many years. I used the rustoleum self etch and now we see how it holds up. Fine , I'm sure. My stuff gets shedded all year. Give me a holler if you come to Orcas.