Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
Old Henry

Default Re: How much oil does your flathead use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Mine just went from a quart per 1,000 miles with 3 ring pistons to 3/4 quart per 1,000 miles with 4 ring pistons.

Using this logic; if you used five ring pistons, you'd expect to use 1/2 quart oil, 6 ring pistons would halve that again. Rubbish!!
That would be rubbish to think it works that way and I wasn't suggesting that. Ford just added another ring to reduce oil usage. It worked for him and it worked for me.

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-09-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #22
mike42

Old Henry......just ride an send more photos !

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #23
keith oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Keith,
Your statement means nothing unless you indicate how many miles you drive "spring to spring". And it doesn't use ANY???? Come on, I am smarter than I look.
John
I will admit that my statements mean little more, if any more ,than any other statements on here but this one I will defend to the word. I average more than 2000 miles a year and unless the dipstick lies, It does not use any oil from one
"Spring to next Spring" period of time. Don't know how that has any thing to do with how dumb you look?
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #24
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike42 View Post
Old Henry......just ride an send more photos !

Mike

Thanks Mike. I needed that. I was feeling a bit beat up.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #25
jack in san diego

Henry: Don't worry about the oil consumption. It will be less after the engine has had a chance for the rings to seat in. Even if it doesn't get better, so what. On another note, sometimes the mark on the dipstick is not always correct. You know the dip stick holder threads into the pan, if this is tightened up all the way, your dipstick may be wrong. Next time you change oil and filter, put in the required 5qts. without filter, 6qts. with filter, run the engine to circulate the oil throughout the engine, then check your dipstick. If you don't like what it reads, put a new mark on the dipstick. If you are running too much oil, it will burn off very quickly. Good luck, and keep driving. Jack
jack in san diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #26
danliveshere

Prof. Henry, if you're happy driving, and adding a small amount of oil when required, then that's great. Keep on driving that nice ol' 47. My old 37 motor in my roadster got to the point where I had to add a quart every time I was going for a drive, and there was very little leakage, the proof was in the smoke filled mirror!! However, it started every time, didn't overheat, and kept on going and going and going and.....Anyway, that motors pulled now and I hope to rebuild it one day with block off plates at the water pumps and use early heads on it.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #27
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack in san diego View Post
Henry: Don't worry about the oil consumption. It will be less after the engine has had a chance for the rings to seat in. Even if it doesn't get better, so what. On another note, sometimes the mark on the dipstick is not always correct. You know the dip stick holder threads into the pan, if this is tightened up all the way, your dipstick may be wrong. Next time you change oil and filter, put in the required 5qts. without filter, 6qts. with filter, run the engine to circulate the oil throughout the engine, then check your dipstick. If you don't like what it reads, put a new mark on the dipstick. If you are running too much oil, it will burn off very quickly. Good luck, and keep driving. Jack
Six quarts with a filter? Huh? Six?
It'll burn off all right...
Old 07-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #28
Fibber Mcgee

If we keep this up Ryan is going to have to ban politics and oil from this forum. But if it doesn't bother you I wouldn't worry about it,just drive it and enjoy. My 49 uses about a quart every 1500 miles so I just use that as a reminder to change my oil. I do think mine actually leaks a lot more than it burns but that makes it easier to find my way home.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #29
Mike51Merc

Henry,

You shouldn't let forum comments stress you out, but the difference between a quart and 3/4 quart per 1000 miles isn't really something to crow about, and cannot really be attributed to the differences between older 3 ring pistons and new 4 ring pistons anyway. Ironically, you didn't settle any controversy, you simply created a new one.

I believe you have an oil consumption problem, but if it's not smoking and runs OK, then no big deal. It may lessen over time as the new rings seat themselves. Meanwhile enjoy the car as much as you can.

I had a new OT car that used a quart per 800 miles, then a quart per 1000, then a quart/1500, etc., etc, for the first 12,000 miles. Now it has nearly 100,000 miles and uses absolutely no oil per 5000 miles (oil changes).

I'd be more concerned that you returned to the guy whose previous workmanship resulted in a piston grenading at 30,000 miles.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #30
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Ironically, you didn't settle any controversy, you simply created a new one.
You're right about that.

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-10-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #31
Old Henry

I just asked Ryan to delete the other thread because it was getting so ugly. Apparently he saw it the same way as he did delete it.

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-10-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #32
TomO

Ford guidelines would pay a dealer to repair an engine that used 1 quart every 1,000 miles as it was considered normal usage.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #33
Chisel

Old Henry, surviving 10 children, 38 years of marriage and 25 grandchildren this little scuffle should be a walk in the park. Beautiful country out there, keep the stories and pictures coming.

Evil Lurks...for those that don't carry a side arm!!!
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #34
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
Old Henry, surviving 10 children, 38 years of marriage and 25 grandchildren this little scuffle should be a walk in the park. Beautiful country out there, keep the stories and pictures coming.

Thanks Chisel.
I'm afraid those numbers are now up to 40 years of marriage and 28 grandchildren.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #35
Jason in TX

I wanted to make a funny reply that my flathead uses ALL of the oil every time I drive it. It pumps it right up into the valves and back down again.

As far as burning it.... I've got a little blowby but I have a supercharger that isn't helping my rings much.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #36
bobH

Back to the question, about oil usage.... You asked, so here is my useless info.
It's useless, I don't understand it, and I have two flathead cars with different results, and not obvious to me why... First car, a 47, with 59A, stock, similar to yours... I can't see any visible movement on the dipstick from year-to-year. That amounts to about 1500 miles, typically. I tell myself that I will do annual oil changes, but that often stretches to two, or more years. I still don't see any movement of the oil level on the dipstick. This is an engine that I would call pretty worn, maybe 15-17 thous taper. I can't explain it - this is simply what I see.
Second car, a 34 with a 36LB engine... This one had been sitting (non-running) when I got it. First start-up, I immediately took it on a 600-mile trip. First 300 miles it used about 2, or 2.5 qts. Second 300 miles it used a little less, maybe 1.5 or 2 qts. Since then, it continues to use oil, perhaps about a qt every 250-300 miles. I've had my buddies follow me - can't see any visible smoke. It leaks a little, but not as much as being used, no big puddles when I park, and the underside of the car is not covered with oil. It's got a little blow-by, but what I consider pretty normal for a flathead. After a trip, I find some oil film on the firewall to wipe up, near the filler. So, I can't explain it - it's just what I see. (This 36 engine SHOULD be better than my 47 - it has little (almost no) wear, no ridge, no taper, hone cross-hatch still showing. The 47 is the one that SHOULD be using the oil, the 36 should NOT be using oil.) As I said, useless info, and I can't explain it.
Based on my experience with my 47, I'd be a little disappointed with what you report for yours. I'd be wondering if the builder did a proper hone-job for the rings you are using, I'd hope he used iron rings, and didn't put in chrome or moly rings, and I'd hope he didn't use excessive guide clearance. Hopefully, it will settle in, and usage will decrease with time/mileage. Best wishes, and please, keep the info coming.
(ps... Maybe I missed it, maybe I haven't read all your posts. In-any-event, I don't think I ever noticed if ALL eight pistons where changed, if he put in a sleeve, if he balanced it, if he did the valves again, and, of course, what type rings he used. And, was the brand/source of the failed piston ever identified? Just curious.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #37
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
I wanted to make a funny reply that my flathead uses ALL of the oil every time I drive it. It pumps it right up into the valves and back down again.

As far as burning it.... I've got a little blowby but I have a supercharger that isn't helping my rings much.
That's kind of like my answer to the question "So, how many kids do you want to have (when we were first married) or How many kids did you want to have?" (now) Our answer: "All of them." And, so, that's what we got. All 10 that were ours.

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-08-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #38
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
I don't think I ever noticed if ALL eight pistons where changed, if he put in a sleeve, if he balanced it, if he did the valves again, and, of course, what type rings he used. And, was the brand/source of the failed piston ever identified? Just curious.)
All 8 pistons were replaced. I assume he honed all cylinders before installing the new pistons and rings but don't know for sure. Don't know about balancing. He replaced all valves so I assume "did" those again. The rings were what came with the new Sealed Power pistons. The brand and source for the failed piston was never identified but I know it wasn't Sealed Power.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #39
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
Based on my experience with my 47, I'd be a little disappointed with what you report for yours.
I've lived my life with oil leaking/burning cars and know full well how to check oil and add oil. The cost of a little extra oil compared to having the engine totally rebuilt again in some "improved fashion" to decrease such is miniscule and I'm totally happy with my engine and my car.

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-10-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #40
joe 1950

ive never had to add oil to my 1950 v-8 put @1500-1800 miles a year change every year use what ever is on sale straight wt only 30-40 detergent ,also a note here, anyone that's using oil should try adding a qt. of a product called rislone ive been a service tech for 48 years and haved used this product many many times, frees sticky rings, its like adding detergent to your washing machine, good luck
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote