Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
marc hildebrant

Default Less Front Wheel Travel Than Normal

Group,

In the Les Andrews book it states that the front wheels should take about 3 1/2 steering wheel revolutions to go from one side to another.

I put the front wheels off the ground and checked my 31 Tudor...I got about 2 1/2 turns, with the ability to turn the wheel more for a left turn than for a right turn.

Looking under the car, I saw that for a maximum right turn, the tie bar part that is connected to the spindle touches the frame and thus stops the travel of the steering wheel for a right hand turn. No similar touching on the left side at extremes of travel.

While I can turn the car O.K. for right hand turns, I belive that the tie bar/spindle joint shouldn't hit the frame.

Comments ? Is the spindle in need of replacing ?

By the way, just how do the wheels stop turning for the right and left extremes ?

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Jim Parker Toronto

Default Re: Less Front Wheel Travel Than Normal

The spindle bolt that holds the king pins in are used for travel limits of the front wheels.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
Group,

In the Les Andrews book it states that the front wheels should take about 3 1/2 steering wheel revolutions to go from one side to another.

I put the front wheels off the ground and checked my 31 Tudor...I got about 2 1/2 turns, with the ability to turn the wheel more for a left turn than for a right turn.

Looking under the car, I saw that for a maximum right turn, the tie bar part that is connected to the spindle touches the frame and thus stops the travel of the steering wheel for a right hand turn. No similar touching on the left side at extremes of travel. . .

Marc
Sounds like something is causing the steering box to be way off center in it's travel range when the wheels point forward. A wrong length drag link would do it, or a wrong pitman arm. Try disconnecting the drag link from the pitman and count how many turns lock to lock for the steering box. Find the center of travel point and mark it with tape on the steering wheel. Reconnect and see if it is the same as the straight forward of driving point.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

"By the way, just how do the wheels stop turning for the right and left extremes ?"

The special nuts for the kingpin lock bolts, which FACE THE REAR of the front axle, should act as stops for the right and left turn extremes. Some people mistakenly install the lock bolts backwards, so the nuts are incorrectly placed on the front side of the axle.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Don/WI

Exactly which part touches and what does it touch? I recently rebuilt the front end on my "A". When I put the "double ball steering arm" (the one on the drivers side) I noticed that bottom of that arm touched the front axle when I turned to the right. I loosened the nut that held that part and turned it up so it missed the axle. Then I noticed that the flat that positions this arm was worn. I removed the arm and built up this area with weld. Then I proceeded to hand file this area until this arm was positioned correctly and did not hit the front axle when turning. Problem solved. I'm not sure that this is your problem, but it sounds similar to the problem I had. Hope I explained this clear enough. If not, e-mail me and I will try to clarify. Thanks, Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
marc hildebrant

Group,

Thanks for the good comments. I'll check the steering setup closer, now that I have some good information.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote