Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Matt in Alameda

Default PVC Valve

My engine is a 59AB....I am using a Fenton dual carb intake that is for an 8BA Motor. The vent tube outlet has a PVC valve in it and the tube goes to the side of the of the riser on the first carburator. There is an extension that I made that connects the PVC valve tube to the tube coming up from the oil pan. The vent that is on the oil pan is plugged. I was told that I would need to have an air source for this to work, so I put a small oil vent breather with filter on the back of the housing that holds the fuel pump......I am very close to trying to start this motor and went over all my notes and it seems to me that I should not have this " air source vent" ..,that the motor has to be sealed including the dip stick tube ( How do you do that?). So I need some advice from those of you that are running PVC valves,...Thank-you,.....Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
BillM

Default Re: PVC Valve

Quote:
There is an extension that I made that connects the PVC valve tube to the tube coming up from the oil pan. The vent that is on the oil pan is plugged.
The tube you speak of is connected to the vent in the oil pan; now that it is plugged it is blocked.
On my 59A I use the pan vent as a fresh air intake and have a PCV valve connected to the oil fill tube at the rear of the intake, and connected to the manifold.
Not exactly sure the best way to use a 8BA manifold and PCV on a 59A.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Matt in Alameda

Thank-you Bill for your response, the oil pan vent is only blocked to out side air....I did this as two of the 59AB's that I took apart had oil pans full of gritty dirt filled paste...several cups worth....that vent allows too much road grit into the pan I would think. Air flows freely from the vent in place on the fuel pump stand down across the oil pan and up to the PVC valve and I hope into the carb riser, I couldn't test that part and it has never been started.. If I understand you, you are saying that the system should not be sealed and you need an inlet for the air to come in...is this correct? Thank-you again,...Matt
Old 09-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Chris Nelson

If you are using an 8BA intake manifold, the filler pipe cap is the vent that will allow air to enter the engine while the PCV valve is drawing fumes out. That is all you need.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Matt in Alameda

Chris, the oil filler pipe is threaded and the screw on cap has an o-ring....so that is sealed. So now there are two responses that say you need an intake vent in the system. A fellow member in the my car club says that it has to be sealed....I hope I get enough feed back that I have it pretty close to being right when I crank it up....I would like to do all I can on the stand as working on it in the car is physically difficult for me. Thank-you for your response.....Matt in Alameda
Old 09-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Jack E/NJ

Matt in Alameda>>>>>>you are saying that the system should not be sealed and you need an inlet for the air to come in...is this correct?>>>

You should have a baffled (to prevent backfires) vent leading to the low vacuum side of the carb, that is, the air cleaner cannister. At wide open throttle when blowby is highest, a PCV valve shuts down due to loss of the high vacuum signal from the carb base inlet. The baffled vent will suck blowby gases into the air cleaner cannister and down the carb throat.

My 221 PCV system uses only a Chrysler-style stainless-steel mesh baffled oil filler vent on the fuel pump stand connected by a large diameter tube to the air cleaner cannister. It has no PCV valve high vacuum PCV system. Like BillM, fresh air is sucked into the pan vent fitted with an air filter to keep out boulders, sand, dust and other road debris. 36TBird has designed a similar reverse-flow PCV system that uses a PCV valve and he might chime in with his results.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Kahuna

I am a firm believer that a vent is necessary to have the PCV valve wotk properly. Like BillM, I used the pan vent as an air intake, with a filter. I closed up the vent in the pan, then threaded it for a 1/4" pipe. The filter then attaches to the short pipe. Here's a few pics of it in the mockup stage.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 Ford engine 014.jpg (152.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 288 Cubic Inch Engine 016.jpg (153.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 288 Cubic Inch Engine 018.jpg (148.4 KB, 49 views)
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Henry/Kokomo

Kahuna - Tell us about the filter you use. Looks like a good application.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Kahuna

Hi Henry
I'm sorry I really don't know the original application (make). It's a filter for an air cleaner (the small filter actually would fit into the air cleaner cannister), that I thought would work. I got at my local NAPA store. Hope that makes sense? Here's the way it looks installed
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine 008.jpg (132.5 KB, 51 views)
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Henry/Kokomo

Very nice installation. Thanks for the info. There may be plageurism in my future.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote