Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
ursus

Default Cowl Rust Cause?

I have always wondered why so many Model A's have rusted out in the lower cowl area on one or both sides of the body, usually both sides. Often, this may be the only part of the car that is rusted out. By rusted out I mean that the sheet metal needs replacement. What makes no sense is that there is no apparent pathway for water to enter or accumulate there.

Can anybody explain this phenomenon? My interest comes from wanting to prevent future rust in the repaired area. Thanks!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: Cowl Rust Cause?

TOTALLY water enters from the seam of the gas tank to the cowl, No phenomenon at all and very very common due to that
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
2manycars

The inside of the cowl at the lower area was probably not painted well, as it is blocked by the floor riser.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
MikeK

Condensation. Anytime the inside of your windshield is fogged up so is the inside of many sheet metal panels. You just don't see it. You do not need a water leak, just air.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
wrndln

The problem is that there is a triangle shaped gusset to strengthen the cowl panel on the inside of the cowl. There is a gap between the gusset and the cowl exterior sheetmetal. Salt, water and who knows what else accumulates in the approximate 1/8" space between the gusset and cowl panel and causes rust problems. I have repaired three pair of rusted out cowl on 28 and 29 vehicles. You are definitely correct that this is a problem spot for 28/29 model A's due to years of use on questionable roads. I cut out the exterior panel in the shape of a triangle and butt weld in a patch of the same gauge. The repairs work well - see attached pictures.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowl repair_10.jpg (84.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Cowl repair_1.jpg (66.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Cowl repair_3.jpg (79.8 KB, 91 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Pretty sure Rusty got his name from all the rust he's repaired.

Just think how few Model A's would be left if they used that nasty, polluting road salt back in the good old days.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
The problem is that there is a triangle shaped gusset to strengthen the cowl panel on the inside of the cowl. There is a gap between the gusset and the cowl exterior sheetmetal. Salt, water and who knows what else accumulates in the approximate 1/8" space between the gusset and cowl panel and causes rust problems. I have repaired three pair of rusted out cowl on 28 and 29 vehicles. You are definitely correct that this is a problem spot for 28/29 model A's due to years of use on questionable roads. I cut out the exterior panel in the shape of a triangle and butt weld in a patch of the same gauge. The repairs work well - see attached pictures.
Rusty Nelson
Is that patch (2nd picture) overlapping the original metal??? If so, what do you do to stop rust getting into the overlap?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
wrndln

Synchro909,
No, the patch is butt welded in place. Besides I spray a heavy coat of epoxy primer in the gap between the gusset and the outer sheetmetal.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
SeaSlugs

The few cabs and cowls ive looked at usualyl have a thick layer of dust/dirt down in that "pocket" - like someone else said mixed with a little condensation it turns to mud and its like keeping a wet sponge on a piece of steel that didnt get painted easily.

Same reasons on modern cars why rear wheel wells, rocker panels, doors, and cab corners rot out - usually not painted, dust and condensation mix and add a pinch of road salt and you got a concoction that will eat anything. It takes years to do and manufactuers will always blame you for them rotting out. Theres a reason Ziebart drills holes and fills these areas with special stuff to prevent contact with the metal.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Synchro909,
No, the patch is butt welded in place. Besides I spray a heavy coat of epoxy primer in the gap between the gusset and the outer sheetmetal.
Rusty Nelson
That's good to hear!