Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2024, 08:29 AM   #1
Russell Reay

Default Cowl light follow up

I found the centering tool at Snyder's, and the amber lenses at Bert's. With a new wiring harness, are the cowl lights on even when the head lights are on ?
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:13 AM   #2
David in San Antonio

Default Re: Cowl light follow up

On mine, the cowl lights only function as turn signals.
Is there a way to have them function as both running lights and turn signals? Has anyone had any experience with the 2-bulb version kit?
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:22 AM   #3
Canton_Model_A's

Depends on how you wire them in. I think they were a setting on the light switch

Model A Ford Club of America
Model A Restorers Club
Motor City A's Club
Canton_Model_A's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:53 AM   #4
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in San Antonio View Post
On mine, the cowl lights only function as turn signals.
Is there a way to have them function as both running lights and turn signals? Has anyone had any experience with the 2-bulb version kit?
A couple of years ago I converted a set of cowl lights using the conversion set available from the vendors. The biggest issue I had was that the two filament bulb supplied in the set did not fit in the cowl light - it was too tall. There was another two filament bulb available (small, same size as the instrument panel bulb) that I had to order. This was a six volt conversion, perhaps a twelve volt kit would be different. (I just looked at the Snyder’s catalog - their catalog picture shows the proper low profile bulb, so perhaps this has been rectified).

I think I also had to make a tapered punch to roll over the brass rivet you use to attach the bulb socket.

I also opted to install amber lenses for the turn signals, recognizing that the parking lights would also be amber instead of white.

If I had to do it again I’d probably use the cowl lights for turn signals and put the parking lights in the headlights, rather than convert the cowl lights.

BTW, this was using a SignalStat switch I got from one of the vendors.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 04-29-2024 at 10:58 AM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:23 PM   #5
David in San Antonio

Thanks.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:28 PM   #6
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Reay View Post
I found the centering tool at Snyder's, and the amber lenses at Bert's. With a new wiring harness, are the cowl lights on even when the head lights are on ?
Cowl lights normally function only as parking lights (light switch in the 7 o’clock position). They do not come on when headlights are on (light switch in the 4 o’clock or 5 o’clock position). If you want them on when headlights are on you will need to jump the proper wires (I’d jump taillight to parking light if I was going this route).

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 04-30-2024 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:55 AM   #7
Badpuppy

Parking lights are on in any position other than off. Single element bulbs must be disconnected from the parking circuit to be used as turn signals.

To answer the OP, double function requires a two-element bulb.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:15 AM   #8
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Cowl lights normally function only as parking lights (light switch in the 7 o’clock position). They do not come on when headlights are on ( light switch in the 4 o’clock or 5 o’clock position).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Parking lights are on in any position other than off.
Not mine. Mine operate like JayJay described.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:56 AM   #9
Phil Brown

JayJay's description of the cowl lights operation is correct as original
They should not be on when the headlights are on, I have see several cars over the years that have been wired to operate that way for some reason
Phil Brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:01 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

My Victoria has the reproduction wiring harness with the turn signals built-in. In my car, the cowl lights function as turn signals in all light switch positions, and in the parking light position. The cowl lights do not function as parking lights when the headlights are on.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:04 AM   #11
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
My Victoria has the reproduction wiring harness with the turn signals built-in. In my car, the cowl lights function as turn signals in all light switch positions, and in the parking light position. The cowl lights do not function as parking lights when the headlights are on.
Bob - Do you have a second filament for the turn signal function, or does the wiring harness take that into account? If the latter, where did you get that wiring harness? Seems a lot simpler than going the route of a second filament, which requires replacing the cowl light socket.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 04-30-2024, 10:42 AM   #12
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
Not mine. Mine operate like JayJay described.
Duh. I was thinking of the tail light circuit. Shouldn't rely on memory at my age. Senior moment.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:17 AM   #13
Bob Bidonde

Hi Jay Jay! The wiring harness I use is from Bratton's. There are several configurations to choose from. Go to Page 86 of their current catalog. Here is the text from their catalog: "New Main Wiring Harness With Turn Signal" "New complete harness for Headlights, Tail Lights and Turn Signals. Set includes the turn signal unit internally changed to work with stock Model A lights, flasher and fuse. This factory wire harness will look better than the 8 different colored wires going to the lights in the above kit (their sock wiring harness). Complete light switch body is no longer included. Fits all years."
My car has the 12V harness built for cowl lights. I use a 12V Novita EL13 Heavy Duty flasher that works well with LED tail lights, incandescent cowl light and turn indicator bulbs. The cowl light bulbs are single filament, but I will be replacing them with LED bulbs. The turn signal unit in Bratton's harness is modified to change the single cowl light bulb filament from a constant light to a flashing light.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:53 AM   #14
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Hi Jay Jay! The wiring harness I use is from Bratton's. There are several configurations to choose from. Go to Page 86 of their current catalog. Here is the text from their catalog: "New Main Wiring Harness With Turn Signal" "New complete harness for Headlights, Tail Lights and Turn Signals. Set includes the turn signal unit internally changed to work with stock Model A lights, flasher and fuse. This factory wire harness will look better than the 8 different colored wires going to the lights in the above kit (their sock wiring harness). Complete light switch body is no longer included. Fits all years."
My car has the 12V harness built for cowl lights. I use a 12V Novita EL13 Heavy Duty flasher that works well with LED tail lights, incandescent cowl light and turn indicator bulbs. The cowl light bulbs are single filament, but I will be replacing them with LED bulbs. The turn signal unit in Bratton's harness is modified to change the single cowl light bulb filament from a constant light to a flashing light.
Thanks. I see online Bratton's 20400 that seems like what you describe, but it is noted as 6V. I suspect the flasher and the indicator light in the SignalStat are the only things that would need to be changed. I will call Bratton's to confirm.

Just to clarify, the cowl lights function normally most of the time, but flash on and off as turn signals? So instead of wiring them as one with a crossover wire connecting them, you wire them as left and right? Same with the brake lights?

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan