Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2022, 12:20 AM   #141
Tinker

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Looks better then a ammo can. Nice work on the battery stand!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:37 PM   #142
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Gary,
I like to have some type of music playing if I am working too! I do a lot by myself and it somehow keeps me motivated. I really like the battery tray and support! Well designed and built. The truck looks great with the engine in place. My guess is you will like the low end torque of the 6 cyl.
You're making great progress! Must not be far from firing it up??
Thanks for the update.
Now I need to get out and work on something!
Regards,
Chris
I cranked it over this afternoon. I have solenoid on the firewall, made up some really good battery cables from junk I found around here, made an adjustable linkage from pedal assembly to carb. Scrounged an original choke cable that goes into the squared off hole in dash with a clip and terminates with a spring loaded end for the ball. After all this time it operates like a new cable without lubing it. I also installed a 1310 series U Joint at the rear of the two piece driveshaft. The tonner uses 3 of them and are a very common size. My Napa had 4 in stock yesterday. The 2 piece driveshaft assembly is sill sitting on the tailgate, so tomorrow I will crawl down under and bolt it up. Firing it up won't be a big thrill as I had it running on the stand a bunch of times. I have front brakes all re-done and that's enough for granny gear, just in case I have to go for as drive tomorrow. Driving it will be fun.... if all these used parts are as good as I thought they'd be!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:51 PM   #143
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I cranked it over this afternoon. I have solenoid on the firewall, made up some really good battery cables from junk I found around here, made an adjustable linkage from pedal assembly to carb. Scrounged an original choke cable that goes into the squared off hole in dash with a clip and terminates with a spring loaded end for the ball. After all this time it operates like a new cable without lubing it. I also installed a 1310 series U Joint at the rear of the two piece driveshaft. The tonner uses 3 of them and are a very common size. My Napa had 4 in stock yesterday. The 2 piece driveshaft assembly is sill sitting on the tailgate, so tomorrow I will crawl down under and bolt it up. Firing it up won't be a big thrill as I had it running on the stand a bunch of times. I have front brakes all re-done and that's enough for granny gear, just in case I have to go for as drive tomorrow. Driving it will be fun.... if all these used parts are as good as I thought they'd be!

I'm sure you know about driveshaft phasing but just in case:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (56.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-29-2022, 10:16 PM   #144
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
I'm sure you know about driveshaft phasing but just in case:
Being mechanically challenged I have no idea about driveshaft phasing. Can someone explain the reasoning why this must be followed?
Tom
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:03 PM   #145
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Being mechanically challenged I have no idea about driveshaft phasing. Can someone explain the reasoning why this must be followed?
Tom

Balance issue as I understand it. All I know is that if its not phased properly there will be a noticeable vibration when driving.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:41 PM   #146
tomcarman

Quote:
Balance issue as I understand it. All I know is that if its not phased properly there will be a noticeable vibration when driving.
Interesting. I'm curious why aligning the yokes would alleviate a balance issue. Given my knowledge of physics on the surface it would seem the furthest point from the center of rotation would cause the most imbalance due to centrifugal force. Hence, with all yokes aligned there would be more force
(X3 yokes) further away from the center of rotation thereby increasing an imbalance. I suppose with all three aligned as shown they work in harmony as opposed to working against each other? These Ford engineers were smart!
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:09 AM   #147
GB SISSON

I never pulled the splines apart on this driveline. I just found it leaning up as a unit in a corner of my shop. I will check that nobody ever set it up out of phase. Side note: When I put the diesel in my 47 tonner I had to shorten the front driveshaft by 4" because of the GM 4 speed. Driveshaft shops are relatively cheap.... But they are on the mainland .. Arghhhh. I cut the 4" out somewhere near the middle with my Chinese chopsaw. I then turned a maple dowel (like Momma's rolling pin) but 18" long, the exact size of the ID of the driveshaft. Hammer fit. To get a dowel so true on a hand wood lathe I built a plywood jig up on top with a flat table for my router to ride on. I roughed out the blank with a gouge like I would a table leg, then set up the router with a 3/4" straight cutter on the rails. As the lathe spun I ran the router over and over the top and acheived a nice tight dowel. I marked the center with a sharpie, drove it into one side. Pinned it with a screw, tapped the other side till the chopsaw cuts met, THEN phased the yokes with a good level and a straightedge and welded it all the way around. Yes the dowel is still in there. I clocked 66 mph on the interstate with my speedometer app on my phone. No vibes, and now it's been 2000 miles. I think the weld is like 7" linnear and shearing that would be tough. Besides, no drama, I'd just loose my forward motion as I coasted to a stop alongside the road.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-30-2022, 12:34 AM   #148
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

Well, not quite! Phasing really has nothing to do with balancing, as such. To understand the theory, one must first realize that any time a u-joint is at SOME angle (NOT in straight alignment), the drive shaft actually speeds-up and slows down four times per rotation. The greater the angle that the u-joint is deflected, the more pronounced the effect.

If both joints on a shaft are in phase, the slowing down and speeding-up should have an identical effect from EACH u-joint, making the function completely similar and complementary for BOTH joints. If the two u-joints are out of phase with each other, the two ends of the shaft will be trying to speed-up and slow down at different times in the cycle. That can only cause twisting and vibrating and all sorts of contortions going-on with the drive shaft in that situation.

In other words, EACH u-joint MUST speed-up and slow down at exactly the same time and rate. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 01-30-2022 at 01:12 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:00 AM   #149
cas3

Correct DD, I learned that as I did 2 years of votech auto repair school in the early 70's and never used the degree, except for my home non sense. Now for fun, a poster on the hamb today spoke of two fellow workers that are from Giana (spelling?) an island, no parts available, very skilled at you fix what you got...period. I thought of GB right away .
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:05 AM   #150
tubman

Driveshaft phasing demonstrated : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idk3BVDVHq4
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:32 AM   #151
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Well, not quite! Phasing really has nothing to do with balancing, as such. To understand the theory, one must first realize that any time a u-joint is at SOME angle (NOT in straight alignment), the drive shaft actually speeds-up and slows down four times per rotation. The greater the angle that the u-joint is deflected, the more pronounced the effect.

If both joints on a shaft are in phase, the slowing down and speeding-up should have an identical effect from EACH u-joint, making the function completely similar and complementary for BOTH joints. If the two u-joints are out of phase with each other, the two ends of the shaft will be trying to speed-up and slow down at different times in the cycle. That can only cause twisting and vibrating and all sorts of contortions going-on with the drive shaft in that situation.

In other words, EACH u-joint MUST speed-up and slow down at exactly the same time and rate. DD

Thanks for the clarification. Never knew exactly why but when I worked as a mechanic at a local dairy in the '70's I was well aware of the result of an out of phase driveshaft in a Divco milk truck.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #152
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Driveshaft phasing demonstrated : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idk3BVDVHq4

Man, if that video doesn't clear-up what "phasing" is all about, there is no hope for ya! GREAT video!! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:32 PM   #153
GB SISSON

Yes, an excellent video! I am gonna start building one of those units right away and test it out with a handful of my wife's credit cards. Do you think skilsaw blades would work the same as sprockets? I don't have any sprockets, but dang do I have a lot of circular saw blades.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:25 PM   #154
GB SISSON

Got close to a startup or short drive this weekend, but shop was cold as heck and wife and I put a movie on and sat by the woodstove instead. Had a great afternoon and that old truck will still be there next weekend, and many more. I need to save some of this build for the 'roll out into the sun' days in the spring. My dad died in '79 of lung cancer at 52 years old. While he was still in ok shape I took a greyhound bus from Washington to Massachusetts to spend time with him. We talked a lot about our 'old days'. I remember a lot of them, but one thing that stands out a humorous is him talking about the 14 year old Me that would get a new (AMT/Revell) model car kit and I would set right about to assembling it and wouldn't go to sleep until it was fully complete. At 26 I remember thinking that nothing much had changed in the last 12 years. Now.... 42 years later .... hopeless case.

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-30-2022 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:38 PM   #155
sugarmaker

Gary,
Your dad told about you and the model kits, somewhat predicting your future.
I did the same thing. Would stay up half the night gluing and assembling plastic car kits also. Guess I am still doing that as I spent most of the evening in the shop working on the 32 truck. Just steel and a little bigger. Same kids playing with toys and continuing to learn!
Speaking of Dads. I used a trick to get the door hinge pin out that my Dad first told me about years before I ever tried it. Thought of him tonight when the pin moved with the air hammer vibration.
Keep up the good work! Yep it will be right where you left it!
Like you, I also spent some time with the wife and went out to one of those fancy restaurants, and used her money, to buy us a nice dinner!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:40 AM   #156
GB SISSON

Yesterday I made some temporary support rods for the radiator from some conduit I found up in the rafters. While running the six on my stand for a couple buddies I blipped the throttle and sucked the radiator back into the fan. Yikes! The hoses seemed enough to star it (untilt they softened with the heat). Just cosmetic, no leaks, but I know myself well enough to know I will want to do a few shakedown runs before I install the front clip. This time I have brakes so shouldn't be ruining THIS new radiator crashing through my wife's henhouse yard. I have grown up a lot since that incident.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Support rods on rad.jpg (146.9 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg support rods on rad 2.jpg (182.6 KB, 181 views)
Old 02-01-2022, 03:46 PM   #157
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Yesterday I made some temporary support rods for the radiator from some conduit I found up in the rafters. While running the six on my stand for a couple buddies I blipped the throttle and sucked the radiator back into the fan. Yikes! The hoses seemed enough to star it (untilt they softened with the heat). Just cosmetic, no leaks, but I know myself well enough to know I will want to do a few shakedown runs before I install the front clip. This time I have brakes so shouldn't be ruining THIS new radiator crashing through my wife's henhouse yard. I have grown up a lot since that incident.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:46 AM   #158
flatford8

“I have grown up a lot since that incident.”

CONDUIT!!…..you didn’t just cut the handles off her broom and her mop?!?!?…..Well, you certainly have grown up!!……LOL……Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #159
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
“I have grown up a lot since that incident.”

CONDUIT!!…..you didn’t just cut the handles off her broom and her mop?!?!?…..Well, you certainly have grown up!!……LOL……Mark
Her broom and mop handles are wood so I'm saving them for kingpin hones when working on the bigger trucks. The design and construction of these stay rods was directly influenced by the cross arms on the A shaped ends on my grandkid's swingset. I measured them eye to eye and they were a bit too short.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:35 AM   #160
GB SISSON

My Wednesday night with the wife doing a 24 hour shift. It's 10:30 pm here and I drove the beater truck in and out of the shop a few times. I have an outboard motor tank sitting on some plywood in the bed. I am very happy with the 30' of driving I did tonight. Clutch smooth as butter. Idles nice and even. I plan to pull the pickup box next for access to rear brakes and chassis/spring work. I also found four jailbar truck 'under seat' gas tanks in my search today. 3 were easily fixable, but the last one I stumbled on was like new. Pics to follow.