Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #21
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: New "32 Ford" Parts...Where does it end?

Well...'32-36 axles all carry the "B" prefix and interchange...
All the '32 stuff I have that seems original uses the "heavy" axle. There is no question the the idea that the heavy only came on commercials is entirely wrong.
I think the question may be whether the light axle was actually introduced in production before the end of the '32 model year. The only very late deuce I have came with a dropped (light) axle, and of course dropped axles were usually store-bought exchange deals so that is unlikely to be the original axle from that car.
Ford violated all of its normal parts numbering practices during the 1932 year, seldom noting changes in parts even though we know everything under there changed several times during the year...so, if the change was made during 1932, it explains why both axles were sold as B-3010. Normally, Ford added a suffix when a part was altered, like B-3010-b, but they did not on this. The fact of the B prefix may well prove that the change was during '32 production, too...
What does the new '32 book have to say on this?? I'm at work, and will probably forget to look when I get home...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #22
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Ductile iron indeed fits its nomenclature, and has the ability to bend and deform under impact without cracking. I believe that some modern OEM spindles are made of ductile, with a forged pin inserted for the actual spindle pin, so I would concede that it is probably an adequate material for an axle...but I will stick to forged and heat-treated Ford EE steel that I know is virtually unbreakable under really severe bending or impact. And absolutely no thanks on aftermarket cast spindles.
Ford introduced cast-iron cranks in 1934, a revolutionary step that also required special alloy that was able to withstand torsion...I think this was the ancestor of ductile. In the crank, it had some advantages, besides price, though its ultimate strength was less than a forging. It allowed much better counterweighting and was stiffer, a big deal since the '32-6 cranks were so thin. The stiffer cranks apparently made more power at high speeds...the forgings were twisting enough to run things out of time. Anecdotal evidence from 1930's stock car racers is that deuces picked up several MPH in their circa 100MPH racing range when fitted with '34 cranks.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #23
itslow

There are also (at least) two variations of the "heavy" axle, but "the book" doesn't make any note of it that I can find. There's the style with the indentations by the kingpin having squared-off top and bottom corners, which seems to be more common, and one where the indentation is rounded with no corners. The latter will obviously be easy to spot as not being reproduction once these axles are available, provided they aren't easily distinguishable from stock.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

And there's a Canadian one that seems to appear on '33 trucks with heavy middle and light ends...
Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #25
Tim Ayers

I guess when I saw all '32's had the heavy axle, I don't BB's did. The parts looks simular but don't interchange with pass. stuff (I think, but could be dead nuts wrong).
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #26
Will Kimble

I like it. It is nice to have another option that you can use with either a stock Model A or '32-34 wishbone. And no "superman" emblem to grind off.

Will Kimble
Will Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #27
andyg

like most on here i like original ford parts and have found them superior in most cases. however i like to see the aftermarket stuff because i may want to get on with a project and buy the aftermarket piece if the original will interchange with it later.

and as stated before it's nice in the sense that it keeps prices in check to some degree. the last few years are an exception to the "keeps prices in check" statement! i went a "traditional parts" route 6-7 years ago when i started on my project because it was the cheeper way to build. now i find my new project going the "aftermarket" route because i can't REALLY afford the original parts. but if it weren't for the aftermarket industry i wouldn't have that option. funny how things change.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #28
Gastrick

I'm not sure that some people on the west coast realize that not everyone lives within driving distance of multiple swap meets or has old car parts for sale in their local classifieds. The closest swapmeet that I know of is 250 miles from me and only occurs once a year. Even then, the selection of viable 30's and 40's car parts is not plentiful there in my opinion. If I had to rely on this swap meet and parts for sale locally, it would take me a hundred years or maybe longer to put together a car. I am usually at the mercy of ebay and internet classifieds and have been taken a few times as a result. Then there are the "local pickup only" problems because the seller will not ship. In many cases, buying a reproduction part from a reputable supplier is the most sure way that I will receive what I paid for if I can even find it. I searched six months just a find a steering box for my 1934 Ford. I finally found one on ebay and had to hope to win the auction. If that makes me a "checkbook" builder then so be it. I hope none of you folks who deem others lesser builders because they don't have access to parts locally are not running reproduction bias ply tires on your cars.
Gastrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #29
Tim Ayers

Easy fellas... Let's not turn this into those who have and those who have not argument.

There is some validity to the statement that some areas of the US still have a plethora of old Ford parts like poss. CA (I don't know for sure, I'm just assuming).
Old 07-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #30
Gastrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Easy fellas... Let's not turn this into those who have and those who have not argument.

There is some validity to the statement that some areas of the US still have a plethora of old Ford parts like poss. CA (I don't know for sure, I'm just assuming).
I didn't mean to sound harsh. Sorry if it sounds that way. It wasn't really my intention.
Gastrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #31
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Original parts are definitely climbing past the cost of anything you can get from the "checkbook" sources, but the good thing is that the original parts are well scattered across the country and sometimes appear in random places with low prices. The scrap heap at the junkyard, the guy with a garge full of mostly Buick parts, the streetrodder who doesn't want anything old on his old car...
Usually you have to bleed money for '32 stuff, but not always.
And...if you have no good sources near you, consider putting all your car money you spend all year into a tote bag instead of sending it off to the repro places. In October, take your tote bag to Hershey and BLOW IT ALL on glorious GOOD STUFF.
Have the vacation time arranged in advance, and maybe have a good divorce lawyer on retainer, but you'll enjoy your money a LOT more that way.
That also seems to be the way European '32 people live...
Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #32
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Original parts are definitely climbing past the cost of anything you can get from the "checkbook" sources, but the good thing is that the original parts are well scattered across the country and sometimes appear in random places with low prices. The scrap heap at the junkyard, the guy with a garge full of mostly Buick parts, the streetrodder who doesn't want anything old on his old car...
And...if you have no good sources near you, consider putting all your car money you spend all year into a tote bag instead of sending it off to the repro places. In October, take your tote bag to Hershey and BLOW IT ALL on glorious GOOD STUFF.
Have the vacation time arranged in advance, and maybe have a good divorce lawyer on retainer, but you'll enjoy your money a LOT more that way.
10-4 on Hershey. Also good advice about the divorce attorney as well. Or just have a good place to hind your old Ford booty. It helps that I generally roll in from Hershey late at night.

I can sneek in a lot of junk under the cover of darkness.

Bruce:

Your post reminds me of joke that I'll modify to fit this topic:

Why is getting a divorce and buying original '32 parts so expensive?

Because they're worth it... (only kidding about the divo. Easy fellas, I'm just trying to lightening up the mood a bit.)
Old 07-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #33
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

My favorite all time ad, seen in Hemmings looong ago:

1941 Studebaker Champion, wife says it goes or she goes.
Your choice, $400.00

I've always wondered how that all played out...

I once briefly considered wearing a pedometer at Hershey and computing the number of dollars-per-mile-walked for my trip.
I realized that I was looking for severe trouble and dumped THAT idea.
I now figure that if I am not hungry or incarcerated and the dog has been fed that my level of deuce spending is just fine. Priorities, priorities.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #34
NealinCA

Quote:
Well said Bruce. That's how I try to play the 32 game...from the bottom end. I started buying junk 32 parts...fixing/repairing and then trading up when possible. I am not much further up the ladder...but I am still having fun.

I see that these reproduction parts do have a place in our hobby. There were many valid points made...like parts being made in the USA and sticking together as a hobby. There was also the point made about building cars to sell. You can make them look right with new parts...and don't have to give up your stash of gennie stuff. That's all right as long as you actually use the gennie stuff someday...

I guess parts like the axles just aren't for me. Everyone has their own limit though...as I will use repro hardware as needed. I still hunt for gennie stuff...but I would bolt an original bumper on with new bumper bolts...which I know will make Bruce's stomach turn.

Neal
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #35
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The downside to being a real '32 nutcase is the absurd amount of time spent gathering the goodies...my original bumper bolts have been gathered over damn near 50 years, mostly one at a time. Two actually came from a '32 bumper I harvested in Pennsylvania from a '36 pickup...I had to be restrained from slashing my wrists with a rusted-out brake fluid can when one of them snapped coming off. I would still regard a cast-stainless resto one about like I would a minor case of leprosy.
And I love streetrodders who want to build an old car with nothing old on it!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #36
Tim Ayers

Bruce:

Funny you say that for one year I did wear my old German ankle-strapped pedometer that measures walking distances in miles.

By the end of the two days: 16 miles. Some would say that was certainly a great deal of exercise and I would agree.

Except I needed to walk 16 miles in order to work off the multiple servings of Smitty fries, Big Smokies, Pit Beef sandwiches and the high number of adult beverages consumed during any one of my 36 years making the annual pilgramage back to the land of salvation of old axle grease, Ford parts, and good friends.

It's akin to how salmon swim back upstream to their birth place every year in order to breed and spawn. Only differnce is our lower jaws don't become grossly disfigured and developed a pronounced hook.

Quote:
My favorite all time ad, seen in Hemmings looong ago:

1941 Studebaker Champion, wife says it goes or she goes.
Your choice, $400.00

I've always wondered how that all played out...

I once briefly considered wearing a pedometer at Hershey and computing the number of dollars-per-mile-walked for my trip.
I realized that I was looking for severe trouble and dumped THAT idea.
I now figure that if I am not hungry or incarcerated and the dog has been fed that my level of deuce spending is just fine. Priorities, priorities.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #37
296 V8
BANNED

Don’t look the same as a real one to me.
I wonder how long it will be tell someone wants me to drop one.
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #38
NealinCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
...Glassic chose Model A's instead of 32's .
I thought those were pickles?
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #39
Frank The Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Ductile iron?????
I don't think any racing association will allow that.
I sure would not trust my life and all the others on the road to cast iron running gear parts.
And yes I know they have been making hot rod axles like that for a long time and YES some have broken.
Pete, Ford econoline vans have been using ductile iron years as the central component to their front suspension, all of the watermains in most major cities are ductile iron, ductile is vibration resistant and is many times, stronger than a straight steel cast part. Frank
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #40
Frank The Plumber

Neal;
If you can find an original part in a state where you do not have road salt cause you dont have winter, and you have swap meets and a cruise scene for 10 months instead of 6 thats wonderful, you have a lot more availability to parts and parts sources, accept the fact that you are very lucky to have those resources.
Put yourself in the shoes of a guy who lives in the north or northeast, we dont have all this iron laying around and haven't for a long time, we have a real tough time finding parts that are useable and we, many of us are happy that someone would reproduce that part or create a part that can be used as an alternative, and yes we may have to write a check to that guy who reproduced that part but no that does not make us gold chainers or any less intelligent or worthy to carry on our passion than a guy who spends every Saturday and Sunday hunting through piles of parts at a swap meet.
We are in a different environment, if you wish to argue that we are different fine, come on up and build a car in my environment and surroundings, the parts prices will shock you the quality will make cringe and you will go back west with a new appreciation for how lucky you guys are.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote