Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
my2nd40

Default Re: One Man, One Dog, One Car to Yellowstone

Thanks for posting!!
my2nd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #22
Butch11443

Outstanding! Thank you for posting the roadtrip.
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #23
Sid the Maineiac

Thank you for sharing.Beautiful !! Sid
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilson View Post
Best road trip pictures I have seen in awhile! Much better than the usual "tourist" quality snap shots. Composition is spot on! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for acknowledging the extra effort it takes to "compose" a picture rather than just "take" a picture. That was one of the great things about being all alone - I could take all the time I wanted to compose a picture and climb up slopes and other things (took a fall or two) to get just the right composition without worrying about others in the car twittling their thumbs, tapping their feet, looking at their watch, and rolling their eyes as I always have in the past. It was also nice to know I might have some kind of an audience for whom I was photographing the trip (yes, you Ford Barners). Thank you all for being there for me and providing me the support and motivation to do well.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
You're not crazy for having toured Yellostone in your 47. Anyone can hop in their late model car or truck and drive anywhere. It takes a real sense of adventure, knowledge and skill to navigate a road trip like that in a 65 year old car.
My mother begged and begged me with all her heart and energy not to take this trip. She thought for sure something terrible would happen although the worst she could think of was that I might have car trouble and have no one there to help me fix it. (She reminded me of the solo hiker that got his arm stuck in a rock and had to cut it off himself to get loose.) In all of these trips I always consider the worst case scenario that something breaks that I can't fix on the road, I have to have the car towed to a storage unit to leave and take a bus home to come back with a car trailer to get it later. Hasn't happened so far, knock on wood.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Old Henry,thanks for the memorys,i was born in Fall River in39,spent many of my early yrs eating chorice sandwiches and coffee milk at Al McDerments dinerI grew up about 4blocks up the street from Als.He still has a diner close to the old location and have ate there too lately. Thanks again,the pics were great. Nice to be alone sometimes. ken ct/ FR
If you ate at Al's diner before 1954 you ate in this very diner. How cool is that?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Lovely views, a great write up.

seeing the car there, it's hard to believe it's the same car as in your start up and first drive videos.
In case anyone else wants to see the contrast, here are the videos:

First start up after sitting 31 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY389S_KUjs It's had over 61,000 views so far.

First roll on own power: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBe8KWTM3qQ (15,000 views)
Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #28
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
If you ate at Al's diner before 1954 you ate in this very diner. How cool is that?
I would say most of it was prior to 54 as i was 15 at that time and most traveling by me was by bicycle ao walking and "AL's" was close by the house.Yea thats the pic of it for sure. Thanks the pics were great. ken ct / FR
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #29
Old Henry

Here's a great video about the diner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rplEc...layer_embedded
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #30
ford38v8

Henry, i'm sure you know that some of the most beautiful country is right in your own backyard. Where's your pictures of the Flaming Gorge area on route 191? I'd think you either went that way or came back that way!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #31
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Henry, i'm sure you know that some of the most beautiful country is right in your own backyard. Where's your pictures of the Flaming Gorge area on route 191? I'd think you either went that way or came back that way!
Flaming Gorge is way east of highway 89 to Yellowstone. I just about went there instead. That was my first plan but it wasn't enough miles to fill three days so I opted for Yellowstone. Flaming Gorge will probably be my next trip.

Here's the circle route planned for Flaming Gorge and Green River Wyoming: http://goo.gl/maps/rhbK Only half as far as the Yellowstone trip. Could probably do it in one day - two at the most.

Here's my route to Yellowstone: http://goo.gl/maps/rprs

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-31-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
felix37

Thanks for sharing! I loved the pictures! way to go! these old cars are made for driving, not sitting in a garage! Glad to see you are not afraid to rack up the miles!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #33
Kahuna

Thanks for the narration and the pictures. I look forward to doing something very similar this summer.
Also, I like the shoes
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #34
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix37 View Post
these old cars are made for driving, not sitting in a garage! Glad to see you are not afraid to rack up the miles!
I think it was on this trip that some old guy came up to me and said, "How can you dare drive this thing out on the highways? Aren't you afraid you'll get a rock chip or worse? Maybe someone hit you?" I proceeded to tell him how I was sideswiped just 3 months ago, had to replace the back fender and straighten the front one and get it all repainted. "I'd rather be driving it with whatever might happen than letting it sit in the garage and gather dust. It's just metal and paint. It had to be bent and painted in the first place. It can be re-bent and re-painted in the second, or third, or fourth place. The important thing is to enjoy the ride while it lasts." He was pretty shocked to hear all of that. Different strokes for different folks. Some like to drive 'em, some don't. Whatever makes you happy.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-31-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #35
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
I like the shoes.
Funny. You are the first to mention my "attire." I was expecting more comments on that.

As I've said before, "Old Henry" is a time machine, just like the hotel room that Christopher Reeve recreated so accurately, including his period clothes, that he actually went back to the time he recreated in the movie Somewhere in Time. So, I try as hard as I can to recreate the experience by not only having my car absolutely authentic for 1947 but also my clothes. Every little thing helps with the illusion. (Or, is it delusion? I'm not sure which.)

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-31-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #36
[email protected]

Great photos. Great car. But the best part of the entire group of photo's and your description doesn't even come close to the breathtaking presentation of canine perfection. I am truly a Pepe fan!
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #37
Henry/Kokomo

Maybe its an illusional delusion?? Absolutely great photos. Sometimes, having no one to consult but yourself can be very relaxing. Makes me consider doing something similar, sooner rather than later. Oh well, one more addition to the bucket list. Thanks for sharing the scenery and the good time. (Nice threads, too!)
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #38
FLA48

Absolutely great! Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to plan a trip.
FLA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 PM   #39
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
. . . canine perfection. I am truly a Pepe fan!
I'm not too sure about canine perfection. I'm sure he does have some dog genes in him along with cat, rabbit, weasel, ferret, rat, Doberman Pinscher, monkey, meerkat, clown, deer and a few others I've thought of over the years but forget right now. Buying him was the best mistake I ever made.

(P.S. Pepe is as Mexican as a chihuahua can get being born in the State of Chihuahua Mexico and sold to us out of a van on the side of the road.)

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-31-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #40
ford38v8

Henry, It was a leap of faith for me to turn out onto 191 south from Green River, just me and my '38 at 2:00 in the afternoon, but I never regretted it, and a couple hours later I was swimming in the reservoir. The real beauty didn't really start until crossing into Utah, my favorite State for scenery! I slept in Vernal that night.