Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Bud

Default Is the verdict a cracked block?

Last year I had quite a setback with rust in the cylinder bores of my B engine even though the engine was drained of coolant. I removed the cylinder head, cleaned it up with a wire wheel and did the same with the bores. I cleaned up everything as well as possible. I replaced the head gasket, using Indian Head shellac on both sides of the gasket. I torqued the head several times right after getting the engine warmed up. I did a compression check and everything looked OK. I ran the car for a couple outings and it ran well. Then for the winter I fogged the motor and turned it over several times to make sure the cylinders were lubricated.
I just fixed a couple carburetor leaks, did some ignition maintenance and other minor repairs and got the car started this afternoon. I noticed the exhaust manifold gaskets had failed, so I tore it down to replace them. Water trickled out of the exhaust manifold when it was loosened. I dried it up and cleaned the surfaces to install new manifold gaskets. Water reappeared in the rear 4 ports, but not in the first two. The water sat in the port as a bead about a .25" in diameter.
What's the verdict? Do I have a cracked block? I can't believe the head gasket is bad already. This is a B motor with a 6:1 Brumfield head. Any suggestions on my next steps?
Thanks.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
James Rogers

Default Re: Is the verdict a cracked block?

Are the 2 steam holes in the middle of the block deck plugged? If not they will leak when using a Model A head or gasket.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
Synchro909

B motors are known to crack around the valves. Seems Henry took a good thing, the A block and stuffed it up. I suspect he was trying to save a few cents on each block by cutting them short on cast iron, it was depression time after all.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
ursus

The exhaust ports for the middle two cylinders have very thin castings. Look for pinholes appearing in the port pockets and that is where the water is coming from. I have a block with the same symptoms and condition and am curious if the block can be saved by hogging out the castling and pressing in a sleeve.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:22 AM   #5
colin1928

It is possible the head gasket has failed and only inspection confirm that
as said in other posts B model blocks and heads cracking is common and they can be repaired
A pressure test is the easiest way to locate the source of the leak
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

You need to distinguish between condensation and a coolant leak. Consider running the engine with exhaust manifold off and see if steam occurs in the suspect ports.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
Bud

The steam holes were plugged. I am operating with the theory that due to the head gasket replacement last summer and it only being on the road once since then that it is not the head gasket. I like the idea of the pressure test and also the steam test. Thanks everyone for your observations and suggestions.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Bud

Any other thoughts? Otherwise I think I will start with the pressure test.