Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
David J

Default Re: How Many Know The History Of their V8 Since New ?

Mikey , The best I can do with my own cars is back to the mid 40's BUT . My dads oldest brother's best friend has a 32 dlx V-8 2d that he bought in the late 40's from the lady school teacher that bought it new .Many years ago when I was there driving a dusty-dirty old 33 he showed me the paperwork that came with the 32 & I'm pretty sure the original sales stuff was there . I was in his good graces right off the bat with the stock 33 . My uncle passed on a few years ago but the owner of the 32 is still alive but is not doing well in his mid 90's . His family doesn't want to sell it . Lotta years have gone by since 1932 !!!!!

David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #22
Don

I found and bought my 35 roadster in Iowa,I liver in Ky so a pretty good haul. I traced it back to one of the Carolinas,It found it's way to Iowa in a divorce.The story I got in So Carolinay was that it was a Fire Chiefs car bought new for the fire department. Doing the body off restoration,I found red paint that could only have gotten there at theyyfactory,this is my story and am sticking to it.I have had the Roadster about 13yrs .Roughly 2 yrs to restore. If you ever bought any Birdseed,the guy I got the Roadster from probally made it,he makes and sells all over the world.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
GeoMaher

I bought my 1934 Ford pickup from Vern Hanesalo who farmed northeast of Lakota, North Dakota. He bought it from the Ford dealer in Michigan, North Dakota when it was new. I bought the truck from Vern in 1974, when it was just sitting there in his scrap heap. I rented a flatbed trailer, dragged the truck onto the trailer and brought it to my mobile home in Lakota. Three years later, I pulled it to the house & garage I built in Lakota, North Dakota. Then I moved to Fargo, North Dakota and stored it in a rented garage in Fargo. Then I bought my house in Fargo and built a two-stall garage and stored the pick-up in the garage, where it sits today. I restored the truck gradually to the point it is today and it still needs some finishing. That's the history of my 1934 Ford Pickup Truck. George Maher, Fargo, ND.
GeoMaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
CC33

I spoke to the original owners family on my 1933 Deluxe Fordor. They provided me with the original Bill of Sale. Purchased in the summer of '33 in New York for $735.75. I am the 4th owner of the car.

Would like to add a Potter trunk to it though.
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
1952henry

My 1952 R32 (Marmon Herrington converted F3) was purchased by the previous owner's father. It had resided on the ranch until I bought it.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #26
Cool Kat with Hot Car

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The 1941 Ford Super Deluxe Fordor sitting in my garage was bought new seven days before Pearl Harbor by my father. Its a good old car. We joined the V-8 club the first year that the Sacto. Regional Group was formed. As this R.G. is number 4 we have been involved with the club almost from the beginning. When the battle to allow the 41-48 big V-8s into the club was raging my Dad was proud to vote against including them! By-the-way, sitting next to "Reddy" is "Chiefy", the 1941 Pontiac that my Grandfather bought new. Dad passed away about 3 years ago.

Cool Kat
Cool Kat with Hot Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #27
felix37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Not a V8 but our '39 Lincoln Zephyr V-12. When we bought the Zephyr I contacted the LZOC and provided the VIN and Body#'s, the club published the information in their monthly magazine and as a result, I subsequently received a phone call from the cars second owner. He bought the Zephyr from the original owner, a Doctor that lived on the East end of Long Island (where he purchased the car new, from a local Ford-Lincoln-Mercury dealer) The second owner got the car in 1948 and drove it from Long Island to Lakeland, Florida where he went to college. He told me that he worked at the Tampa Lincoln Agency as a mechanic and in '52 he rebuilt the '40 Zephyr V-12 that is in the car. The transmission is original to the car with the VIN# stamped into the top of the transmission. He told me that the original owner had served as an Air Raid Warden during the war (under the rear seat I found a windshield plaque that says Civil Defense Suffolk County, NY, with instructions on the back stating what to do in the event of an air raid... I also contacted the "Henry Ford", provided the VIN and Body #'s and they sent me the "Build Sheet" on our '39 LZ Convertible Club Coupe. The car left the factory on April 22, 1939 to be delivered to the dealership on Long Island. The cars build sheet list only two options, a black convertible top and red leather interior. I found this odd because the car was also equipped with a hot air heater (not a dealer installation on the Zephyr). Right now we've got the rear and transmission out of the car to repair the transmission and install the Columbia rear. Hopefully she'll be back on the road in time for the "Barner's Bash", March 16th to 18th. Vic
Vic, what is the process involved to get the original build sheet from the Henry Ford????
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #28
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix37 View Post
Vic, what is the process involved to get the original build sheet from the Henry Ford????
Send email to: research[email protected] They do not accept phone calls.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #29
41panelmark

Well some of you already have seen this but for those who have not here goes.

My truck was purchased locally by a grocer (Horrace Davis) in early 41 and used to deliver goods to homes until they sold the business. The truck was also driven by a local news anchor (Bob Palmer) who at that time was their delivery boy. At some point he bumped into another car while eying some girls on the walk. Bob passed before I could show the truck to him. The truck then sat for a time until my friend decided to buy it somewhere around 1956. Fixing the damage allowed him to use it on his farm until 1959. For some reason he parked it in his barn and continued to work on other projects over the years leaving the truck to collect dust and wasp nests. My friend passed away last year in his 90's and I ended purchasing the truck then.
The truck was used purchased and used by the Horace Davis Grocery store in Lafayette Colorado until 1956. It was purchased by my friend and used on his farm until 1959. The tuck sat inside there until May of 2008 when I bought it and brought it home.

I was invited to the local museum and there was a large turnout of older long time residents who remembered the truck and shared their memories. I had a chance to speak with a large group of these older residents who came to the local museum just to see the truck. Many of these people were well into their 80’s or 90’s.
They tell me that the truck has significance to the community because it was the way in which most households and farms got their groceries on a regular basis. Saturdays were the busy days, the truck would run every hour on the hour according to the woman who was the switch board operator, she tells me that in those days you made a list and the grocer put it together for you at the store.
Back then people could ring up the Davis store via the switchboard operator to have Bob bring their groceries to them. The truck was a familiar site around town for many years. Other earlier trucks were used including a model T and some remember a flatbed truck with small stake sides but none survive to this day.

Great thread, thanks for sharing.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #30
40 Deluxe

Starting at the beginnig: In the mid to late '30's Dad worked for a local farmer named John Livermore in southern Minnesota. Some time in the '40's Mr. Livermore married a woman who had a '40 Deluxe 2 dr. she had bought new in 1940. In 1989 a '40 2dr. was listed in the local paper. When Dad went to see the car, here it was ol' John Livermore. The car was last driven in 1966 and had sat in the same spot in a dirt floor garage for 23 years. It had 33,000 some miles on it. In 2009 Dad gave me the car with 36,200 some miles on it.
Car #2: In late '39 or early '40 a Ford salesman took a local former for a ride in a new '40 sedan. The ride ended at a local bar with the salesman getting the farmer drunk enough to buy the car on paymensts. Six months later the salesman had to repossess the car and sold it to Dad. It blew a head gasket in 1955 while an uncle had it. Dad got it back in the early '80's and restored it. My brother has it now.
Now way back. In 1923 a local farmer bought a new Model T roadster and took good care of it, putting it in a shed every night. In '39 he bought a new Chevrolet so now the 'T' sat outside. About 6 months later Dad moved onto the farm across the road and bought the 'T' for $1.50 (one dollar fifty cents) and gave it to his younger brother, who still has it today. Second owner after 89 years!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:52 AM   #31
expavr

I'm the third caretaker of this 1940 Tonner. The attached photos tell its story. It was delivered to Otto Pfannekuchen at Ritzville Motors in Ritzville, WA. Otto farmed an 800+ acre wheat ranch and used the truck to haul seed into the fields. Ritzville Motors Work order 24174 shows the truck was brought in on Oct 5, 1940 showing 1735 miles for warranty service. The Gas Ration Card shows Otto's fuel allotment for 1943. The house is Otto's place. The Tonner was used around our place for all sorts of hauling, until it was put out to pasture and treated to a body off restoration. To be able to see where it was put into service, how it was used, and visit with the Otto's neighbors is the frosting on the cake. Visualizing the sideboarded bed filled with 100# sacks of seed being hauled into the fields gives new meaning to "Built Ford Tough!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck3.jpg (51.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg truck5.jpg (74.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg truck6.jpg (84.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg truck4.jpg (72.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg truck8.jpg (88.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg truck2.jpg (81.2 KB, 30 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #32
tomkc1

My 1934 Ford 4 door sedan was bought new by my grandfather in 1934. He lived in Lawrence, MA. My father told me that my grandfather had bought a 1933 and only drained one side of the engine for the winter. The block cracked and they traded the '33 for the '34.

The car was used by the family until 1951 when it was put into the family garage. It stayed there until 1970 when my aunt gave it to me.

The reason she kept it was because during the winter neighbors were looking for garage space to get their cars off the street because of a winter parking ban. She didn't want to rent her garage so inorder to keep anyone from bugging her, she kept the Ford in it. I was the beneficiary of her logic.

The car was originally the Tacoma cream color. Some time in the 1940s my father and his brothers decided it needed a paint job so they painted it black using a brush. In 1970 when I got it I had it repainted back close to the original color and that paint is still on it.

Besides the paint and a few other minor details the car is pretty much in original condition.
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #33
FL&WVMIKE

I have a general knowledge of the life of my 1935 Cabriolet, but am missing many details.

1935 - 1950 - Car was, supposedly bought new by a lady school teacher from New Hampshire. But the dealer sticker is from a Ford Dealer in Cleveland, Ohio. ???????? (See Photo).

1950 - 1959 - Car was inherited from the lady school teacher, his aunt, by Ed Underhill, an insurance man from Charleston, WV. I remember noticing this car, on the streets, as a high-schooler.

1959 - 1967 - Car was owned by David Giltinan, a wholesale grocery business owner and old car enthuisist, in Charleston, WV.

1967 - 2012 - Car is owned by me. It is now in Daytona Beach, Fl. It is still unrestored.
MIKE

CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE - Twice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fav35beach.jpg (171.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1244.jpg (426.4 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 02-04-2012 at 03:40 PM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #34
paleot

I bought my 53 customline 2door sedan from the original family who owned it, the title had been transfered once when the original lady who owned it died.It sat in a barn for 28 years. Two ford garage overhauls in its history then a factory rebuilt long block. I stay in touch with original owners to let them know the progress of the complete restoration. The only modification to the car will be paint color all other restoration will be stock.
Tony
paleot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
Byron Warwick

My 1934 Pickup has only had three owners. This Windsor Ontario built truck was originally bought by Duke and Ternan Auto parts in Leamington Ontario. The engine was rebuilt in the forties. It was sold to a Mr Raimer Edsel,year unknown and driven around town. He traded it on a 1954 Ford Station Wagon, at the Supertest station on the corner of Seacliffe Drive and Erie St. I saw it there one morning as I rode to work at the HJ Heinz plant in Leamington. I had to have it, and purchased it for $200.00 in July 1957. I drove it to a local body shop and had the green paint changed to red with a very detailed pin striping in cream to match the grill shell and wheels for $50.00. It then became mt daily driver. Note lots of salt on the roads in the 50's. I added a White tonneau cover to jazz it up. I was driving it in 1959 when I went to Sarnia to work in Canada's Chemical Valley. In 1964, I finally replaced the engine, with a 1954 Meteor engine. I had experienced lots of oil burning and trouble with keeping water pumps leak free. I also changed to 1940 hydraulic brakes. The truck went into long term barn storage in 1971, and emerged in 1986 awaiting a rebuild. The restoration began in 1999 and was completed in 2009. We drive it often in the good weather. I think I'll give "Merlot" to my son so he can enjoy him too, but not yet. Byron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pickup Heinz.jpg (222.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg PortLambton.jpg (57.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #36
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
I have a general knowledge of the life of my 1935 Cabriolet, but am missing many details.

1935 - 1950 - Car was, supposedly bought new by a lady school teacher from New Hampshire. But the dealer sticker is from a Ford Dealer in Cleveland, Ohio. (See Photo).

1950 - 1959 - Car was inherited from the lady school teacher, his aunt, by Ed Underhill, an insurance man from Charleston, WV. I remember noticing this car, on the streets, as a high-schooler.

1959 - 1967 - Car was owned by David Giltinan, a wholesale grocery business owner and old car enthuisist, in Charleston, WV.

1967 - 2012 - Car is owned by me. It is now in Daytona Beach, Fl.
MIKE

Mike,
This is great! But I bet your `34 has a short owner history as well. You did everything right in your car collection. When you got busy raising your sons or making a living, you let the cars sit instead of parting with them. I had some fine old cars too, but when my interest waned I sold them and moved on to another hobby, like airplanes.

I was just looking thru Hemmings and thinking I should advertise my `35 Cabriolet for a `39 Coupe. But then I think about the old `35. I have had it apart. I know what it is. It does everything I ask of it. I should be more like you...

Bud
Old 02-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #37
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
Mike,
This is great! But I bet your `34 has a short owner history as well. You did everything right in your car collection. When you got busy raising your sons or making a living, you let the cars sit instead of parting with them. I had some fine old cars too, but when my interest waned I sold them and moved on to another hobby, like airplanes.

I was just looking thru Hemmings and thinking I should advertise my `35 Cabriolet for a `39 Coupe. But then I think about the old `35. I have had it apart. I know what it is. It does everything I ask of it. I should be more like you...

Bud
SHADETREE (BUD) ......................
No, I should be more like you. I have never had my cars all apart. But I do know every nut and bolt. Neither one has totally let me down yet.
I am planning to do a history of my '34 Phaeton. I know most of it, but am missing details, just like the '35 Cabriolet.
Thanks,
MIKE
Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #38
mike in las vegas

My father and I bought my coupe from the original owner Bill in Van Nuys CA in 04. Dad and Bill were friends. It was a real treat for him to ride in the car again 65 years later. I have the Retail Buyer's Order and other records such as gas mileage logs up until Bill got drafted. When we got the car from Bill's garage, backyard and storage room, he thought I asked too many questions, After all I was going to have to put the car together from many pieces. Old Bill could make a sailor blush from his cussing and near as I could figure the car came off the road in the mid 50's . I got a couple of unused 56 CA license plates in the deal too. Unfortunately the 47 pink slip got taken in favor of the new title. Bill sure drove the car hard. Upon rebuilding, a trashed cluster and 2nd gear were found, Also a very sloppy u-joint and a lifter de-adjusted in the .080 over 4 inch reworked crank in the original enginewa found. I think old Bill's lifter collapsed, then he crossed spark plug wires in attempt to repair.(that I found ) Then got pissed off and tried to “clean the carbon out of it” presto no second gear and there she sat. At least that is the story I concocted in my head. Anyway the car is in good care for lots of TLC and enjoyment.
See the pics in my profile album.
mike in las vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #39
FL&WVMIKE

I have a general knowledge of the complete history of my 1934 Ford Phaeton, but I wish I knew all the details.

1934 - 1956 - Car was used, on an unknown estate in Conneticut, to pull a boat back and forth, to the ocean. In the later years, it was used by the kids, through high school.
It was originally bought at the J. J. Hart Ford Agency in Brooklyn, NY. (See Photos)

1956 - 1959 - Car was bought for $90.00 by a man in Connecticut, who just stored it for two years.

1959 - 1963 - Was bought by Robert Harrington of Charleston, WV, through "Hemmings", for $200.00.

1963 - 2012 - Was bought by me. Still own it. Still unrestored.
MIKE

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1193.jpg (490.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg jjdecal.jpg (50.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg jjhart2.jpg (386.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg jjhart3.jpg (459.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 02-04-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #40
PeterC

For my 35 Coupe - I was cleaning the glove box and found the original registration for the state of Massachusetts dated April 11, 1935 with the original owners name and address clearly marked.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote