Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2023, 05:58 PM   #1
Chris in WNC

Default Front crossmember

have a front crossmember available (detached from frame)

how do I tell a 28-29 from a 30-31?

what is today's swap meet price?
Old 11-08-2023, 10:35 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Front crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
have a front crossmember available (detached from frame)

how do I tell a 28-29 from a 30-31?

what is today's swap meet price?
The difference in front cross-members is primarily in the "landing spot" where the radiator is mounted to the cross-member.

The Service Bulletins covers this. IIRC, the radiator landing spot on the 28-29 cross is "raised" to make the landing spot equal in height to the attached frame side rail.

The landing spot on the 30-31 cross is made so the radiator sits slightly lower. This was Ford "accommodating" the larger height of the 30-31 radiator compared to the earlier.

There was a short period of time between about October 29 and the release of the 30 styled car where the change was "anticipated" and production of the 30-31 cross-members had begun. Ford then offered a "shim kit" which would allow replacement of a 28-29 with the later 30-31 cross and present the 28-29 radiator at the correct height.

Of course the early/mid 28 cross-members MAY be from the "direct radiator connection" style - which were mostly cut down when the improvement in radiator support was offered. If you examine this area you may find the cut somewhat "irregular" (hand done) which might be evidence of this change and provenance of an earlier cross.

I recently bought a middle cross-member on Ebay for $75 plus ship. Fronts seem similar on Ebay - but Ebay does tend to be Long Dollar.

I have seen front cross at the Epping NH Antique Auto Flea Market for $25. If the seller has blasted and repaired any cracks then it might ask for double this.

Most front cross have a crack somewhere.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 11-08-2023 at 10:42 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 05:01 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Late in 29, the radiator pad surfaces were lowered below the top outside frame mounting edges. They also punched a drain hole on the left side inboard of the radiator mount pads. 1928 and 29 have differences in the motor mount holes and the crank bearing mounting surfaces. There were also two vertical ribs behind where the crank pulley runs. There is one rib on each side of the pulley. The later 1929 member is smooth in that location. It was the pattern for the 30 & 31 members since both types can be fit into a 29 frame. A person has to shim the radiator if the later type is installed in a 29 model.

A very good crossmember approaches what we could buy a whole frame for just 10-years ago. If it's badly pebbled with corrosion the most folks would shy away from it. Cracks or previous repairs are also problematic. I've been looking for a good 1929 crossmember locally for a while with no luck. My 29 had a 30/31 member when I purchased it so someday I'll find one. The one it had is good for now.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-09-2023 at 05:17 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 10:23 PM   #4
31Tudor

The 28 to November 28 is totally different as the engine fastens right to the front crossmember. No yoke, it has ears on it, that get cut off on so many of them.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote