Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2023, 12:30 PM   #61
nelsb01

Default Re: 2023 Hershey

Back in the day when my ride to Hershey shared the cost of the spaces with me ($45- so you know that it was a while ago), he told me that the HERCO gets $30 of that. If that was true, we are talking a lot of money, and probably more than Hershey Park clears in a weekend. By the way a age 9-61 one day ticket to the park costs $74.99.

And -- as mentioned, the surrounding economy gets a boost too.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 12:45 PM   #62
woodiewagon46

I think you are right Tim. The people that go to Hershey Park are day trippers. We, the Hershey swap meet and show people stay in hotels and eat at the restaurants. I would bet that if the Hershey Chamber of Commerce had any input, the swap meet/show would go on forever.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:49 AM   #63
WRA

They are reporting over on the HAMB that they were charging to use the Port-a-Jon’s. Is this true?
WRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:59 AM   #64
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRA View Post
They are reporting over on the HAMB that they were charging to use the Port-a-Jon’s. Is this true?
No, it is not. There are attendants that you can tip, but it's up to you. I always did.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:33 AM   #65
flatjack9

Those attendants do a great job of keeping the johns clean.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:45 AM   #66
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Those attendants do a great job of keeping the johns clean.
Agreed.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:55 AM   #67
DavidG

And they have been a part of the Hershey event for at least the last 50 years.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:48 PM   #68
GearHeadDiver

It was Great!
Couldnt have asked for better weather.

Had Zero luck locating a set of good 34 hubcaps...and am still kicking myself for missing out on a good set of finned aluminum Nailhead valve covers...we were 50 apart and by the time i decided, he was gone...🙄☹️
GearHeadDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 07:06 PM   #69
Yoyodyne

This was posted on the Hershey Region FB page -

"For those of you fretting about the future of the Eastern Fall Meet at Hershey, here’s two pieces of information for you. First, a statement from current Hershey Region president, Jay Robertson:

“Hershey Region of AACA intends, and is actively planning, to continue hosting the AACA Fall Meet in Hershey at its current location for many years into the future.”

And this
The Evolution of the Fall Meet Wooden Nickel

The wooden nickel changed in 2023. It evolved from displaying the next four Fall Meet dates to displaying the next two Fall Meet dates. Changes to the wooden nickel is not a new concept. In 2022, the wooden nickels went from four future dates to three dates.

Prior to 2022, the wooden nickels had four years of upcoming Fall Meet dates. Why does the wooden nickel change? It’s basically one of the “executive” decisions that the Fall Meet Chairman makes. This year, the Fall Meet Chairman decided the wooden nickels would have two lines of dates to make it easier for aging eyes to read. Will the wooden nickel change again? It’s a possibility. As Hershey Region reviews previous Fall Meet items and plans changes that will improve the visitors experience, the wooden nickel and other aspects of the Fall Meet will come under review and face the possibility of change.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 10:08 AM   #70
Jeff/Illinois

That pretty well says it all

I wouldn't get in a tizzy about Hershey going away .

By the way YoYo--- beautiful PU in your avatar like it!!

It is awfully hard to beat a '35 or a '36 Ford PU----
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 06:44 AM   #71
Ziggster

Was only my second trip. Last was 2019 just before the Covid lockdowns. Seemed like less cars and less vendors. Booked my hotel only a couple days before and thought it would be almost impossible to get a room, but no problem. Was there Wed/Thurs. Wed was hot for a Canuck. Spent about 11 hrs walking those two days. Would get there just after it opened and was surprised to see lots of booths/stalls still “closed”. Just don’t understand why you would go to the trouble/expense to get a booth and not be open when the event opens. Even at 9:00 there were a few still “closed”.
In the end, I’m glad I went. Talked to a few of the vendors. All great folks. Got what I was looking for (wide five rims/hubs) on the first day by 8:30 which was a bonus because of the heat. Will keep going as long as I can.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:01 PM   #72
nelsb01

Yes -- lodging has improved greatly in the last 6 years. The Mom & Pop motels have been over taken by the big chain names and there has been a massive building spree.

You used to drive down Chocolate Avenue and all you would see was No Vacancy signs lite up.
This year the remaining Mom & Pop motels had vacancy signs. We moved into one of the new places two years ago when our 30 year Mom & Pop closed. A sign of the times. Many of the Mom & Pop motels have not kept up with the times and the changing requirements of travelers.

Last edited by nelsb01; 10-16-2023 at 09:10 PM.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:09 PM   #73
Model51

There is also RV and tent camping right across Hershey Park Drive opposite the Giant Center. I tent camp along with several other guys and it only cost around $100 each for, three nights and a fantastic breakfast cooked to order every morning, and parking is included. Showers just past the end of the Red field for $7. It's not for everyone but I do it for the comradery and to spend money on parts instead of hotels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4033.jpg (144.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4261.jpg (152.7 KB, 108 views)
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:10 PM   #74
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
There is also RV and tent camping right across Hershey Park Drive opposite the Giant Center. I tent camp along with several other guys and it only cost around $100 each for, three nights and a fantastic breakfast cooked to order every morning, and parking is included. Showers just past the end of the Red field for $7. It's not for everyone but I do it for the comradery and to spend money on parts instead of hotels.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote