Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #41
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Chevy Engine

I find this debate a bit assuming. If someone posted a picture of an Ardun set-up, most fellas here would go bananas over it. An Ardun is closer to a Mopar/European hemi-design than it is to our beloved flathead.

Maybe it wasn't in the right forum, but can't fellas just answer the gentlemen's question without added their opinion about how dreadful they think the idea is?

I think there is plenty of room for all of us here.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #42
4t8v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Flathead in a Bronco II...OK, now you've got my attention.
Wish I'd thought of that!
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #43
Lanny

I think Ryan said he was going to add a Modified forum to this Fordbarn.
Shelly had the forum that was for Modified stuff, and there was always
plenty of interesting threads posted on it.

I like BOTH Original and Modified Fords, and would sure like to see a
modified forum here. It would keep the purists a little more happy.

Hey Boss, any chance of that ? I'm sure some here would be willing
to help with the extra work involved,,, I surely would.
Thanks for all you do Ryan, it is appreciated.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #44
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Lanny, how was that different from the current HAMB?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #45
Lanny

It was more open to most any thing older, that one might want to modify.
Did NOT have to be traditional mods, most any modifications were OK.

The HAMB is for Traditional Hot Rods and Customs.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #46
Ol' Ron

I lov the Flatheads, so I'll go where ever they go, FYI I'm working on a modification to the enginne that should increase the power of a STOCK flathead engine aprox 30% and is relitive inexpensive (less than a set of heads) and doesn't change the looks of the engine. Now where do I put this mod?
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #47
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Now where do I put this mod?
In my mailbox
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #48
DavidG

Re-read the above.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #49
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
An SBC engine in an early Ford V8 is about as simple as can be, the only problem is the fuel pump not having good clearance, an electric pump solves that problem.
I would suggest a GM 2004R trans in lieu of the 350/400. Of course you will have to alter the rear suspension, discarding the torque tube and early Ford rear end, I would suggest a first generation Camario/Nova 10 bolt, 34-1/4" backing plate to backing plate with a ratio in the 326.1 range. Stay away from the BPO rear ends, they were not good rear ends, you should also avoid any rear end newer that about '80, they are two wide for the early Ford chassis.
If you want to be a purest, keeping your '40 stock you can have a 59AB engine rebuilt and modernized, for about 8k, if you are lucky. then spend $5k for a Columbia that has been rebuilt and bullet proofed, all to please other people and drive the car about 2k a year to an occasional car show.
The subject of this thread is one of the main reasons I am seriously questioning my desire to participate in this "hobby".

Have at the old Fords boys. You bought 'em they're yours to destroy if you so wish.

Myself why bother with this crap? FoMoCo themselves don't care and neither do the guys I thought were "Ford" guys. There is no such thing.

The nonsense dollar figures posted above are proof that it's a lost cause.

Take your Ford apart, install as many non-Ford pieces as you can and you'll be so far ahead. Do it!

Just look at all the endorsements from "Ford guys" you got in just 24 short hours.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #50
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Floored View Post
The subject of this thread is one of the main reasons I am seriously questioning my desire to participate in this "hobby".

Have at the old Fords boys. You bought 'em they're yours to destroy if you so wish.

Myself why bother with this crap? FoMoCo themselves don't care and neither do the guys I thought were "Ford" guys. There is no such thing.

Take your Ford apart, install as many non-Ford pieces as you can and you'll be so far ahead. Do it!

Just look at all the endorsements from "Ford guys" you got in just 24 short hours.
Well Henry the thing about a hobby is you can love it or leave it. Frankly I'm here to help people and have some great friendships. I've had flathead Fords and modified Fords. I don't care what my friends do with their cars, because they are still my friends. We can't afford to get too serious as it's a hobby, not life or death. We are all living the dream of when we were kids in the 40', 50's, 60's, etc. So we build them the way we want for ourselves and not particularly for the satisfaction of others.
So sit back, take a deep breath, lighten up and enjoy what you have. Hopefully it's good health and good car friends. There's lots of boring hobbies out there that would not create the lively conversations that we have here. Frankly I'm having more fun now than I have ever had with my old Fords and Ford friends. As Cecil Polan says, "sunny side up"!
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #51
Tim Ayers

Quote:

I think there is plenty of room for all of us in the row boat. Purist, hobbyist, stockers, hot rodders. It's all good.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #52
4t8v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I lov the Flatheads, so I'll go where ever they go, FYI I'm working on a modification to the enginne that should increase the power of a STOCK flathead engine aprox 30% and is relitive inexpensive (less than a set of heads) and doesn't change the looks of the engine. Now where do I put this mod?
I won't even consider anything like this until you can guarantee a 33 1/3% increase in horsepower.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #53
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I think there is plenty of room for all of us in the row boat. Purist, hobbyist, stockers, hot rodders. It's all good.
Its a pattern. Better off not even responding to it........
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #54
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
This is the only genre of automobiledom where the bastardization of our beautiful old Fords is welcomed and apparently encouraged by the very enthusiasts that love them.

The Chevy gang must have sore ribs from the laughing they do at our expense. What a complete and utter domination of our precious old Fords.

Swapping a Ford engine into a '40 cannot be done and should never be considered under any circumstances.

Wow a hi-pro 289 into a 40 Ford.the firewall hasn't been modified and there's room for the fan.Do you still have the straight axle?I knew that if use C4 trans you don't have to butcher the X-member.At closer inspection you even have the battery in the original location,and a shorter oil filter(FL300 motorcraft).I wished I had done this.

Last edited by Milt/Las Vegas; 03-06-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: More observations
Milt/Las Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #55
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Its a pattern. Better off not even responding to it........
Insidious , indeed ! Never should have gotten the darn grease under my kid fingernails ! Seeped up to my gray matter and ruint my whole perspective about motors(hm, engines, not motors). I was going to tell my story of working/living(yeah) in a junkyard for awhile as a youngster ...for the privilege of taking parts to build my ride...265 in '46 ford coupe...with hand tools , no cutting ,original drive train otherwise.
But, don't want to answer this guys question and contribute to the delinquency of a ahhh ?

NOTE: Don't remember last time this much testosterone was put into a thread...fun read, eh !!

BTW..if having a beautiful running/built FLATHEAD was to be had , at the same price of same condition 265....I'd most likely have a barn full of flatheads.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #56
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
I was going to tell my story of a 265 in '46 ford coupe...with original drive train.

BTW..if having a beautiful running/built FLATHEAD was to be had , at the same price of same condition 265....I'd most likely have a barn full of flatheads.
Funny when ya think about it......when was the last time anyone tripped over a 265? The LAST one was built 60 years ago. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #57
STEVE O

Everyone to his own but in my opinion there was never a firewall as beautiful as the 39 Deluxe & the 40 Fords. Its a shame to cut them regardless of the engine going in it but each there own! Sure glad everyone's taste is different or it would sure be a lot of the same looking cars out there. Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #58
Ol' Ron

There's one good thing about the Chevy swap into an old Ford. During the time I was running Nostalgia engines, we pulled several SBC's and replaced them with 276 flatheads. Now these cars might have been lost to the scrapers. On that note. Back in 1953 I bought a 1936 Ford convertible, that was practically Bran new in every way, except the engine wasn't any good. I bought the car and a good engine for 75 bucks. Now I know that car survived. So Maybe some good came out of it after all.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #59
Henry Floored

So I'm the crackpot I get it....fine. Let's do an experiment. Let's find a Corvette forum and politely ask the best way to install a new Ford Coyote engine in your '65 Vette. That should be interesting. Whatta ya think?
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #60
cmbrucew

Might ask V8coopman about corvette applications.
Bruce