Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
38 Ford Pickup

Default Appraisal ""Interesting Story""

I have a very good friend here in Kitchener Ontario that has a very nice all original 1938 Ford 4 Door deluxe.

he changed Insurance companies this year and had to have his car appraised. he had asked me where I got my appraisals and I let him know..

Anyway, During our Fathers Day Charity Car show he decided to have a local guy appraise his car. I had told him not to deal with this guy......

He talked to me the following week and told me that the fellow appraised his car for just $4,000..........

He mentioned to him that all original cars are not worth anything........ The car must be Hot-rodded........anyway months later after I informed the Government about this guy........his license was revoked........

I am so happy today
38 Ford Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
39topless

Thumbs up Re: Appraisal ""Interesting Story""

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Ford Pickup View Post
I have a very good friend here in Kitchener Ontario that has a very nice all original 1938 Ford 4 Door deluxe.

he changed Insurance companies this year and had to have his car appraised. he had asked me where I got my appraisals and I let him know..

Anyway, During our Fathers Day Charity Car show he decided to have a local guy appraise his car. I had told him not to deal with this guy......

He talked to me the following week and told me that the fellow appraised his car for just $4,000..........

He mentioned to him that all original cars are not worth anything........ The car must be Hot-rodded........anyway months later after I informed the Government about this guy........his license was revoked........

I am so happy today
Another one bites the dust. Good Job!!
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
Barry-ct

Default Re: Appraisal ""Interesting Story""

A lot of so called " experts " around, think they know everything and really know nothing. Glad you put the fake out of business!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

The sad part about this subject is the multitude of folks now-a-days that allow themselves to be so easily-convinced that every slick-talkin' butthole with a magnetic door sign on his truck must be of the "expert" variety. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
barnstuf

In my state, Massachusetts, if you use a Massachusetts licensed appraiser it is likely he has no real knowledge of collector cars value. The license requirements pertain to collision damage repair on modern cars, and not to the valuation of collector cars. There may be some licensed appraisers with collector car knowledge but this is not the norm.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:05 AM   #6
Drbrown

Insurance companies that sell policies for classic/antique cars in NY State require appraisals to be performed and submitted by a certified classic car appraiser (don't remember what agency/group certifies them).

My insurance company did provide me with a list of three regional certified inspectors.

Last edited by Drbrown; 01-04-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Sixseven

I would think that a larger specialty, vintage car insurer would have references for appraisers. It is just as easy to have a fake appraiser undervalue your vehicle as it is to have a tainted appraiser overvalue your vehicle. Either appraisal is of no value to the vehicle owner. An appraiser known to your carrier might have a better chance of having his determined value accepted by the carrier as well.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
Sixseven

One more thought, I use Haggarty Insurance and will often contact them for generally known vehicle values for potential purchases that I am considering. That information is out there ad is also used by an appraiser when they determine your vehicles value. To paraphrase an oft repeated comment: A $100,000 restoration on a $10,000 car does not make it a $100,000 car, it merely indicates how much a fella was willing to pay for his fun.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #9
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Ford Pickup View Post

I am so happy today
Interesting as most appraisers that I have dealt with don't know bubkiss about the worth of a "Hot Rodded" car. It's more likely weather or not the paint is shiney....
Torchie.
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #10
38 Ford Pickup

I had been trying to nail this guy for aver 5 years. he was not caught 5 years ago faking a scam. he appraised a big block Chevelle for $75,000 .. to make a llong story short 6 months later the car was stolen and never recovered.

We found out years later that it was a clone car and was a 6 cylinder and he faked the photos for the Insurance company. Story goes the owner and appraiser both got a good cut of the Settlement.

Glad he is done......slim, scum like these are not needed on Earth...
38 Ford Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
37 Coupe

I let a real nice '53 F-100 go in 1991 that I have always regretted. I actually drove it to Pidgeon Forge F-100 Nationals for its maiden voyage in 1990,original flathead that I had adapted with air conditioning and power steering. Surprisingly the guy I sold it to called me recently and had asked me a couple questions just like the deal was done a week ago instead of almost 24 years ago. Questions were mainly about the fuel pump ,electric and original one.When I told him they are both probably shot from the ethanol fuel he told me the gas that was in the tank was what I had put in it,when I drove it into his barn he never restarted it.I was shocked but mentioned to him that I would like to buy it back if he was ever in the selling mood. Shocked again when he told me he had it appraised for $50,000-$75,000 and he would not take the low end. I asked who the appraiser was and he said it was a friend who gets a lot of his information by studying Barrett Jackson. Guess I will never see that little red truck in my garage again.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
roadster36
BANNED

Barrett Jackson/Mecum/ Goodguy's Gazette: All folks with tulip mania. The top 1/2 of 1% of the world can afford to buy and sell each other these cars but the real world says different. Thats what make a horse race and more power to them. When vehicles become a commodity or and investment option then the whole game changes.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote