Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Model T air pump

I bought a single cylinder model T air pump at a swap meet. The pump acts like it's missing a check valve. When the handle is pushed down air flows from the hose. But when the handle is raised the air flows in reverse, back into the hose. Does this sound like a missing check valve (ball bearing), if so- where does the check valve (ball bearing) go and what size is it? Thanks

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Model T air pump

The check valve was usually a small ball bearing that was confined in the removable brass fitting that was screwed into the air outlet from the cylinder. It was confined by slightly crimping or deforming the barb at the outlet. The pump piston is made of leather and can be made out of an old shoe toung. Grease lightly with cup grease, do not oil. The part that screws on the tire valve has a projection to depress the schrader valve. On some models a check valve was located behind the depresser. Good luck, Art

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Default Re: Model T air pump

I have an air pump, however, I'm not sure what model its from(A or T). If you know someone who might be interested, please let me know. It is in very good condtion, and I would be willing to sell it.