Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
randykenyon02892

Default Timing Cover not flush with bottom of block for oil pan installation

I just installed a new oil soaked rope gasket/seal in the timing cover on a 31 AA Dump Truck. It was difficult to get the 1st bolt installed in the timing cover as you would expect a certain amount of force to be required to compress the new seal. Once the 1st bolt went in, the remaining went in ok. I am ready to install the oil pan gaskets, however the bottom of the timing cover is sitting maybe .020 - .030 higher than the bottom of the block. Should I consider doubling up gaskets just under the timing cover or should I remove it and try and beat the seal (gently of course) in further. Based on what I have done so far I am not sure trying it again will take up the clearance to get it flush. Any suggestions would be appreciated. -Thanks
randykenyon02892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: Timing Cover not flush with bottom of block for oil pan installation

west kingston, really?

know Stuart or David Sherman by chance? They know more about an A than everyone on here combined
Old 10-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Timing Cover not flush with bottom of block for oil pan installation

Here's a homemade tool and instructions on how to fit the cover.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...e+tools+timing
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
randykenyon02892

I actually do, just not well enough to cold call them and I literally just crawled out from under the truck an hour ago. They probably don't know me by name as I have met them a handful of times over the course of the last decade and about 15 years ago Stuart gave myself and brothers a tour of his antique tractor collection, what an accomplished individual. His son actually helped me true up the exhaust manifold in his machine shop about year ago. My goal was to have this ready for "Swamp Yankee" days this weekend but that isn't going to happen. Maybe a few weeks late, close though!
Old 10-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
randykenyon02892

Thanks Tom, that looks pretty slick and easy to make. Thinking that once that is done, I could also probably make a small version on the passenger side with angle iron to thread right into the bottom of the timing cover and ensure both sides are pulled down so the timing cover is flush with the bottom of the block. -Thanks again!
Old 10-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
"Swamp Yankee" days

a good ol' time for sure

it is hard explaining to ppl here in Texas what a swamp yankee is; however, as they pass on, the true character of South County goes with them

next time you see either Sherman tell'em Texas Dave was asking for'em

If you ever make it to Texas let me know and we'll roll out the red carpet for you
dave
Old 10-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by randykenyon02892 View Post
Thanks Tom, that looks pretty slick and easy to make. Thinking that once that is done, I could also probably make a small version on the passenger side with angle iron to thread right into the bottom of the timing cover and ensure both sides are pulled down so the timing cover is flush with the bottom of the block. -Thanks again!
I must be missing something, but if all bolts are in the front cover, how is it going to pull down (even using Tom's tool) to be even with the block's pan surface?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #8
randykenyon02892

The holes in the front timing cover are clearance holes so if drilled in the nominal position when manufactured they would allow for a little "float" of the cover in any direction, that way if hole locations are off slightly relative to each other they should still allow all bolts to be tightened into the block. That unfortunately allows for "float," however makes it easier to assemble. If I used a jig on either side, I maybe able to loosen the bolts slightly and pull the timing cover further down and obtain a flush position (though the gasket and cover are sprayed with gasket sealant). Wondering now if I could even use the pan as thick as it is to do the same, when in position if I thread in the front bolts from the bottom through the pan and then loosen the timing cover bolts if I can pull it down to where it needs to be and tighten it back up. May need to try that also. -Thanks
Old 10-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
randykenyon02892

tbirdtbird, I will, and Thanks. Texas is one place I haven't yet made it but it is on my list for sure.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
Dick Steinkamp

Thanks, Randy. I get it now.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #11
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Randy, I have installed pans using the thicker cork gasket (not the paper one) and had no trouble when there was a slight edge to the timing cover. I also use Permatex Ultra Black as sealer on both sides. That was before I knew about Tom's tool. He is the master of homemade tools

There's a lotta Kenyons out your way. Odd we never met. Curtis Corner Rd was my stompin' ground. Lived right across the street from Sherman's Gravel Co
Know Dean Quigley or Debbie Sherman by any chance?

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 10-02-2016 at 09:48 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote