Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #21
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Checking Head Surface for Flat?

Mike! My head is swimming! I can't figure out if you impressed me with your intelligence or dazzled me with BS LOL. I went to school in the late fifties, early sixties and there was no NC back then. In the mid seventies, I was running a P&W Jig borer that was NC and I had to learn something of the X-Y coordinates to set up the work on the machine. I didn't like it. I went back to figuring die clearances and related stuff and then on to model making later. Hence the trade has moved on. A friend showed a turning center at work one day and I was amazed at what in could do in seconds. I know I'm a dinosaur with this stuff. But I think I'm correct in this ,at least one could check for warpage by putting it on four Jo Blocks or by rocking it on a do all surface plate. About flatness off a machine, The Blanchards I have run probably wouldn't give better than .002 flatness anyway, unless you let it spark off for a while. Wonderful machine though!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Terry, In most cases diagonal checks of an untrue plane will reveal either a convex or concave form. But not always!

I posted the mathematically generated plane shown because that plane WILL show a true flat line across opposite corners. Yes, it is a special case, not all twisted planes exhibit that characteristic. You can generate it by starting with two diagonal lines defined by X&Y co-ords bonded at their midpoint in a 3D CAD program at Z = 0. Then assign a random Z variance to only three of the four end points. The fourth end will generate it's own Z if the lines remain bonded at some point. Then connect the four corners with straight lines. Voila! A warped plane that is straight across every edge and both diagonals.

With the plane shown, if you pick one corner and a point 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 along the opposite side then yes, you will cross a slight convex, but that point would be near impossible to detect because it would cross the cylinder or chamber hollows with nothing to 'feel' against.

You will easily get the plane shown if you take a head and support it on blocks by the four corner stud holes with a few thousanths 'wobble' across those corners and then bolt it down through #1 & #4 plug holes for surfacing.

I won't mention any type or names, but some new heads that check flat with a straight edge do not pass muster (to me) on a surface plate. A new head should not be 'off' 0.002".

Years ago, when I used to build engines for short track racing we checked head/block matings with plastigauge at perimeter points and between cylinders. 0.003 steel shim-stock was placed in opposite corners and just the four corner studs were torqued to 25 ft-lbs. By mid season both blocks and heads were warped, but if they had the same mating warp with not more than 0.002 variance they would hold a head gasket just fine to run again another weekend.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #22
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
All my ladies before and now were and are just that, ladies. I never had to stoop low to date an "odd duck" with no class". Never will................Lucky Al!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
who is I.P. standing...
this is a copy of your old profile from your other account....
has I.P. Standing listed as a previous name
he must have been a great teacher,
i remember my auto shop teachers very well also
That is wonderful! Thanks for keeping track!
P.s. The name is a long standing joke in case you didn't understand !
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #23
binkbee

I.P.STANDING WAS A WRITER OF NOVELS! "THE YELLOW STREAM" by I.P.STANDING!
binkbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkbee View Post
indeed my friend
thanks for the info
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #25
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkbee View Post
That is so funny. Maybe you should enlighten your new friend ! Haha
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote