Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #41
Bassman/NZ

Default Re: An important message from Bob Drake to Mr. Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
WRONG!!! It's the suits (business executives) that make the decision to use off shore production because it is cheaper to pay overseas workers than to pay Americans. Politicians don't make these decisions, business people do.

If you want to blame the politicians for anything, blame them (both D and R) for providing the suits with tax breaks that let them avoid paying taxes here in this country because their Company HQ is a PO Box on some island somewhere. That is un patriotic during wartime.

By the way Ford1 and Milt, I come here to get away from politics; I come here to talk Fords. On the aviation web forums, we do a good job of keeping politics off the boards. Political attacks do nothing to further the conversation and they create ill will among the forum members. Let's stick to Ford discussion.

TM
Wrong again! It's us, the customer. In this day and age we want cheap! Unfortunately we also want top quality, but out of cheap and quality, only one can be chosen. (I'm generalising, of course).
If we selected quality rather than cheap, parts would still be made in the USA. But of course we dont, we want best price, so the manufacture of parts is contracted out to offshore companies.
I guess we should be thankful that we can even get parts for our 80 year old cars.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #42
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom/illinois View Post
What would be the reason a manufacturer would take production to China?............Maybe something called GREED.
It most definately couldn't have anything to do with people griping about how much something made in the USA with government /EPA regulations plus our wages we require and in limited quantities is too expensive.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #43
Mr 42

To be honest, im not interrested in when you started your business or what you did 1974.

Im more interested how you do business today.

And what ive read here it's so and so sometimes.
So shape up and come with some valid up to date example's.
Or keep quiet.

Would like to read your version about the waterpump debacle.

Your reply makes me wonder if not Mr Cox had a point or two?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #44
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave m View Post
Ya why don't they just put in ther'e catalogue part sorta like orig might fit or maybe not---now thats truth in advertising----parts will never be 100% correct untill there made in the good ol usa again by someone that has a passion for the hobby---my 2 cents
I say BS about that. We seem to gripe from time to time about EMS and Brookville too don't we? They were never pefect when these cars were new. Our expectations are Mercedes quality of a car that was built to be sold at an affordible price. Henry used more than one supplier of many parts and most of us will choose one of these variations to compare the reproduction part to and ignore the differences in the others. Refer to the 32 Ford grill insert differences thread if you need to. I am thankful to Have Bob making parts for us. Last I checked , business are a for profit philosiphy , government isn't. If any of you can do better, I welcome you to do it!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #45
Mike in AZ

huh...still able to pull it up.....Mike
Old 02-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #46
Mike in AZ

whoops....went back and read the final post and can see the thread is closed to more posting...sorry....Mike
Old 02-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #47
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296 V8 View Post
Bob Drake Reproductions
Highly appreciated here ...... thank you sir.
what he said !
Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #48
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
Wrong again! It's us, the customer. In this day and age we want cheap! Unfortunately we also want top quality, but out of cheap and quality, only one can be chosen. (I'm generalising, of course).
If we selected quality rather than cheap, parts would still be made in the USA. But of course we dont, we want best price, so the manufacture of parts is contracted out to offshore companies.
I guess we should be thankful that we can even get parts for our 80 year old cars.
As often happens within these threads, the initial point is lost as many go off into varying directions that have (or do not have) anything to do with the original post.
What something costs, how much we are willing to pay, whether or not the part(s) would be available otherwise is NOT the issue here! The bottom line remains, "GIVE ME WHAT I PAID FOR". In other words what was advertised to be. If the ad says "fits perfect", perfect copy" etc. than that's certainly what I expect to receive.
This all comes down to business ethics or the lack thereof.
I too have a list of who I won't purchase from. Many can guess who is on top of that list. To me, no part is worth acquiring if I must deal with a person or company that lacks ethics.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #49
52merc

kube well said
Old 02-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #50
al pa.

Count me as unsatisfied,(remember the choke and throttle cable closeout?)
Old 02-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #51
Craig CT

Hi Mr. Drake; I suggest that in the future, if you need to contact an individaul, use the PM or email feature provided on this site. Craig.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #52
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
LAWSON COX ..........................
When he first went into business, and made his own parts, he had a First Class reputation ! I'm sure that we all remember that !
After he started having all his parts made in China, the quality suffered badly. Anyone who called him on that, was told that their complaint was the first they had ever heard and treated them like they did not know what they were talking about.
Another thing, when he started having his running boards made in China, for a fraction of the cost of USA made boards, is when he raised his prices.
How can you treat people like that and not expect some repercussions ?
MIKE
I'm with you on this. I've seen first hand guys at Hershey complain about lets say in this case the '40 repo gas tank.

When trying to install, the entire body had to lifted off in order to get the repo to fit. The guy who bought the part was talking to one of the sales reps, his response was, yeah we know it was a problem, we aren't go to fix it until we sell out of the old ones.

Stock ones go in and out with having to do that to the body.

As much as I appreciate Bob's dedication to the hobby and helping folks find parts for their cars, that response just flat out pissed me off.

Same goes with my friend who still has his new in the box '39 head light rings and lenses. The lenses were too thick and the rings just looked like, well Chinese-made garbage.

Or the repo hub caps that are just a hair too thin and come off because they don't grip the nubs as tightly as NOS.

I just wish Bob Drake would slow things down a bit and do a little more trial and error before trying to pass off parts as good as the originals.

I also agree that this should have been done off the "air".

Now, if he says I'm going to try to bring back some of the manufacturing to the US and actually listen to the complaints of my customers than I'm on board.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #53
Charlie ny
BANNED

Bob,
Remember, it isn't slander if it's true.
Most everything I've purchased from Bob Drake has been pretty
acceptable.....My last $1000 plus order had some hickups as your records
will show.....Your guy and I wrestled the problems thru to my 92% satis-
faction. I chose to keep this between Bob Drake and moi until your post.
LC is a friend to me and most here. Having said all this....I'll continue to
be a continuing Bob Drake customer.
Charlie ny
Charles Schwendler
[email protected]
Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #54
Cob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296 V8 View Post
Because metal shapes is powerless here to force his opinion on us.
(I’m sure Ryan would disagree )
No opinion forced - just closed
Closed Thread