Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
bucket-o-rust

Default clutch pressure plate new or rebuilt

Should I buy a new or a rebuilt pressure plate ? Where should I buy it ?
bucket-o-rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: clutch pressure plate new or rebuilt

Rebuilt is what I've used, and had no problems. Just be sure to check the 6 fingers to be sure they are all adjusted to be even and about 11/16" from the surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Homemade Tools Clutch Adjuster.jpg (69.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch Fingers New.jpg (72.2 KB, 53 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket-o-rust View Post
Should I buy a new or a rebuilt pressure plate ? Where should I buy it ?
For what application ?
If for an A putter driven infrequently, with no other improvements, I'd probably 'clean up' the original and stick it back in as long as nothing is broken.
For warmed up engine and hard use ?
Have a reputable company redo with maybe a little stronger springs , trueing up, etc.
Better yet, if going thru all the 'troubles' , i.e.- teardown, cleanup and reassembly....I'd go to a more modern model with spring pressure that I want and maybe even diaphragm type for positive contact and smooth action.
Lots of choices and choice is good,eh

FWIW..the rebuild company that MANY use to do the job right is in Florida ,dba... Fort Worth or some such..google is you friend, I've been told.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
For what application ?
If for an A putter driven infrequently, with no other improvements, I'd probably 'clean up' the original and stick it back in as long as nothing is broken.
For warmed up engine and hard use ?
Have a reputable company redo with maybe a little stronger springs , trueing up, etc.
Better yet, if going thru all the 'troubles' , i.e.- teardown, cleanup and reassembly....I'd go to a more modern model with spring pressure that I want and maybe even diaphragm type for positive contact and smooth action.
Lots of choices and choice is good,eh

FWIW..the rebuild company that MANY use to do the job right is in Florida ,dba... Fort Worth or some such..google is you friend, I've been told.
plus 1
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
George Miller

If I had to make a chose between new and rebuilt, I would sure take the rebuilt. Seen to many new go bad, it is not a nice job to change again. But for me I have had good luck with the original. I never replace a original unless I have to. a new Amp-meter is a good example of a junk part.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

If I was changing to something other than original, I too would go with a diaphram pressure plate. Every time the subject of pressure plate comes up I think bout the nice easy to push clutch in the 1949 Chevy pickup that my friend had. Wish my cars all had that nice soft pedal, and yet positive clutch grip.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #7
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
If I was changing to something other than original, I too would go with a diaphram pressure plate. Every time the subject of pressure plate comes up I think bout the nice easy to push clutch in the 1949 Chevy pickup that my friend had. Wish my cars all had that nice soft pedal, and yet positive clutch grip.
That is what I use on my Hill climb car. That keeps the tires from spinning so bad when I drop the clutch. I also use a diaphragm clutch from a Mustang on my 1930 A pickup, I run a F150 4 speed that is over drive in 4 gear. So it has the right spline on the clutch disk. They work well.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #8
wensum

I too have a diaphragm clutch with and F150 3+1 gearbox.
It's easy enough to find a suitable thrust bearing that fits the Model A carrier and it's certainly a light smooth clutch. Well worth doing I think?
Keith
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #9
RonC

http://fortwayneclutch.com

Buy the clutch disk from Brattons and send it along with your plate to Fort Wayne. They will rebuild and adjust the rebuilt plate to your disk
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensum View Post
It's easy enough to find a suitable thrust bearing that fits the Model A carrier and it's certainly a light smooth clutch. Well worth doing I think?
Keith
Just where do you buy the diaphragm clutch from? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I had a great experience with a rebuilt pressure plate from Bert's in Denver. Bert's has used the same fellow rebuilding pressure plates for a good many years. The rebuilder mounts the pressure plate on a flywheel with a disk and presets the fingers at 11/16". I did confirm the 11/16" setting after bolting the pressure plate and disk to my flywheel. I asked Bert's when I purchased the pressure plate "how many of the rebuilt pressure plates are returned with a problem?". The answerer was "none". It has been in the car for three years without any problems.

I would not purchase a new pressure plate as they are mostly made in China.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
http://fortwayneclutch.com

Buy the clutch disk from Brattons and send it along with your plate to Fort Wayne. They will rebuild and adjust the rebuilt plate to your disk
Thanks Ron for the web , as I do not know how that is done
For any guys wondering what clutch disc to buy/use, look at the example shown on this company web page, i.e.- note the captured springs.

There's good reason why guys from all over spend the extra $ to ship their stuff across country to have the job done correctly !
I second Ron's choice of clutch disk from Brattons.

Last edited by hardtimes; 11-24-2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: ...........
Old 11-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
That is what I use on my Hill climb car. That keeps the tires from spinning so bad when I drop the clutch. I also use a diaphragm clutch from a Mustang on my 1930 A pickup, I run a F150 4 speed that is over drive in 4 gear. So it has the right spline on the clutch disk. They work well.
Hey George,
Did you find it necessary to get a special/non stock throw out bearing for 'proper' operation of the diaphragm pressure plate ?
Old 11-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #14
George Miller

Quote:
Hey George,
Did you find it necessary to get a special/non stock throw out bearing for 'proper' operation of the diaphragm pressure plate ?
You know I do not remember it being a problem. I'm not sure what I used. If not Model A it was probably early V8 ford.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick M View Post
I had a great experience with a rebuilt pressure plate from Bert's in Denver. Bert's has used the same fellow rebuilding pressure plates for a good many years. The rebuilder mounts the pressure plate on a flywheel with a disk and presets the fingers at 11/16". I did confirm the 11/16" setting after bolting the pressure plate and disk to my flywheel. I asked Bert's when I purchased the pressure plate "how many of the rebuilt pressure plates are returned with a problem?". The answerer was "none". It has been in the car for three years without any problems.

I would not purchase a new pressure plate as they are mostly made in China.
Don't fault the Chinese. Fault the vendor that wants the most profit and the consumer that wants optimum quality for bargain basement price. The Chinese are capable of making an excellent product but they are not going to do it for nothing. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
You know I do not remember it being a problem. I'm not sure what I used. If not Model A it was probably early V8 ford.
Hey George,
Thanks !
From examining different diaphragm pressure plates, I noticed that there were different 'finger' shapes. Where the one that I just put in has kinda straight finger ends, others have kinda curved downward towards end. I can imagine that finger shapes are the reason for possibly needing different throw out bearing. Whereas mine will use A/B V8 standard type.

Last edited by hardtimes; 11-25-2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 11-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #17
George Miller

Quote:
Hey George,
Thanks !
From examining different diaphragm pressure plates, I noticed that there were different 'finger' shapes. Where the one that I just put in has kinda straight finger ends, others have kinda curved downward towards end. I can imagine that finger shapes are the reason for possibly needing different throw out bearing. Whereas mine will use A/B V8 standard type.
The model A Model A input shaft is bigger in dia. than a lot of cars of the early years. So the distance between the fingers is smaller on some diaphragm plates. That causes the fingers to hit the through bearing in a non rotating part of the bearing.
So the curved fingers might have a better chance of not hitting the hub of the bearing.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #18
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensum View Post
Keith
This is what I have in my Pickup. Used standard Model A Throw Out Bearing. I've got about 3,000 miles on it and no problems at all. Smooth operating.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote