Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2023, 08:29 AM   #1
Leadfoot4U

Default 1934 Ford Rose Beige Mohair

Guys, I'm looking at purchasing Mohair and wondering just how much Rose color was in the original material? I've been getting samples and haven't found much that doesn't seem too dark. My question is, was the color of the interiors using Mohair light in color or medium dark? Did it look slightly Pink?

Thanks in advance!
Leadfoot4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 09:06 AM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1934 Ford Rose Beige Mohair

It had a definite pink caste, true to its name, as shown in some original examples below. (the photos are of '32s, but the same fabric was used from '32 through '34.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B-160 deluxe original carpeting.jpg (55.6 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg various door inner panels 180.jpg (72.9 KB, 500 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 12:15 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
It had a definite pink caste, true to its name, as shown in some original examples below. (the photos are of '32s, but the same fabric was used from '32 through '34.)

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:31 PM   #4
Leadfoot4U

I think that second picture shows very well the color depth David. Not what I was expecting, but exactly what I've been looking for. Restored interiors can be found on the web when the cars are being sold. Many show a very light, almost tan looking interior like these:

They seem too light beige to me.

This following color seems too pink to me:

But, it does seem a lot closer to the original image of the '32.

I notice in this last image, the same color should have gone up unto the curved rear quarter pieces and around the back window pieces. Least that's what the 33-34 Restoration Book states.

Do you think 100% mohair is what was used, or was it a blend?
Old 12-12-2023, 06:22 PM   #5
DavidG

I agree that the material in the last photo is a bit strong pink-wise, assuming that the photo is accurate, which isn't always the case. Notwithstanding, I give the owner high marks for trying to get it right. Nearly all of the high-point '32-'34 deluxe closed car restorations that I have seen are like your first two photos. In the V88 Club concourse judging, that's at least a 25 point mandatory deduction.

For deluxe closed cars, the mohair was 100%, while the thorn brown mohair used in the standard body types was a wool/cotton blend.

The headlining for cars with rose beige upholstery was originally rose beige cotton material.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:00 AM   #6

I was buying my rose beige for my 34's from Lebaron Bonney.
After they went under I discovered that they sourced their material from Hirsch.
I have been buying it from Jeff Hirsch until Covid hit.
He told me the mill in England went under so no more mohair.
I bought all he had in stock.
There were several different die lots with quite a bit of color variation.
I am not aware of anyone producing the correct mohair as of yet but that might have changed since I last searched.
Just another reason I am doing my last build.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 07:32 AM   #7
Leadfoot4U

I'm getting several samples from current retailors, I hope to have something my trimmer can work with soon. I can't use what was in my car, it was apparently redone in the mid '70's. They used a Tan/Light Brown mohair fabric which didn't wear well over the years:

As the following shows, a 34 Victoria is trimmed out in Rose Beige Mohair and Napped Cotton as one of the possible schemes.

I have started to receive mohair fabric samples, I'm hoping to find something close to what David has shown as an original color match. Thank you so much David for your wealth of information and expertise.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:48 AM   #8
DavidG

You're welcome.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:54 AM   #9
Krylon32

I have wondered what the color was called. When my 40 standard was reupholstered in the past the headliner and wind lace has this kind of color cast to it. I never figured it was a stock 40 color, just what he owner liked?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:36 PM   #10
DavidG

That page from the George DeAngelis/Ed Francis book reminds me that if a suitable match cannot be found for rose beige mohair at a reasonable price for your Victoria and my coupe, the alternative of all custom-dyed leather remains.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:08 PM   #11
Leadfoot4U

Yes, Mohair is expensive. Depending on the supplier, it's easily anywhere between 150 up to 500 dollars a yard. Average range is about 200 to 300 dollars. Leather is about the same per yard. I've seen leather for around 14.00 a square foot, but (and I don't know why they calculate it this way??) they say it takes 17 to 18 square feet to make a yard? That's roughly 240.00 dollars a yard....about the same as mohair, if not a bit cheaper! They say the excessive amount of needed leather is due to the large amount of waste leather brings to the fabricator. Since upholstery kits are behind us, we're left with finding a good trimmer to do the job.

I'll be posting what I find regarding fabric since "Rose Beige Mohair" on web search sites brings up a big goose egg in returns.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:36 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The rolls are more than a yard wide but they take a yard in the length off the roll so it's not a square yard its just a yard off the roll.

Like most any other cloth, the Mohair is died to give it color. I'm sure a mill would want to sell the material by the roll. It would likely be very expensive to purchase a whole roll. Angora goats are still around in west Texas. There are still some smaller mills here that mill the mohair but I don't know who they sell it to. Most of these smaller outfits are family owned. They raise the goats and mill the wool.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 05:29 PM   #13
Leadfoot4U

Ok, I've received a few sample's of 100% mohair from various venders and this is what I've found.

DavidG provided this image of an original '32 interior:

It's important to note that my below image doesn't really convey the true color and depth of the material, so bare with me as I describe what we're looking at. I've got the samples laying on top of the above image, with the mohair seats shown as close to possible in original color.

The top most sample (#1) from ViaFabrics Etsy is from brand name Wolfgang Mohair, Color: Spring Blossom, $325.00 yd. It's high pile is too thick for car upholstery, and the color is a grey with a slight pink cast to it. Although the image appears the color to match fairly well with the original seats, the brightness of the true color is way too bright when seen directly.

#2 sample is from Bill Hirsch Auto, 142-I is printed on the reverse side. I called and asked if they had Rose Beige Mohair fabric and they said they had 15 yards of this left @ $75.00 yd. This mohair is very light tan in color, with a hint of pink to it.....way too light in my opinion. On their site they have a sample board of colors, but no 142-I is displayed. 142-A is shown, but not 142-I?

#3 is from Decorative Fabrics Direct, its company brand name is JB Martin, its Line: NEVADA, Color: ECRU. It is defiantly a medium Brown color showing no rose shade at all. $119.00 yd.

#4 is from ViaFabrics Etsy, Psychedelic Mohair, Color: Who's next Pink, $200.00 yd. Actually this color is very close to what I can compare to with the original seat image. However, when I bend the fabric against itself, I can easily see the rows of stitching from one another. I'm no expert in mohair fabric quality, but when compared to the other samples this fabric seemed to be the most loosely woven.

#5 is from Decorative Fabrics Direct, again from JB Martin, Line: NEVADA, Color: Old Rose. $119.00 yd. In my opinion, it's the closest to what I expect a Rose Beige color would look like. It's also very close to the same shade as the original image shows, even though the image I took with my camera doesn't quite show it. Compared to the #4 sample, it's slightly darker, showing a bit more beige. Out of my samples, I believe this is a good match for me.

#6 is from Kravet Couture, their Line: Plazzo Mohair, Color: Dusty Rose. For the most part, it's too dark. But given the right light, the sheen off of the fabric comes close to the JB Martin Old Rose. This "sheen" is one of the characteristics of mohair fabric....one way it looks dark, while another it appears lighter, with a bright sheen to it. I don't know the price of it but I'm thinking it's in the $375.00+ yd category. You have to purchase this fabric from a "Designer", so you know it's going to be overpriced. The quality appears to be the same as the others, except for the Psychedelic Mohair which I've decided to be less than average.

#7 is from the same vender as above, Color: Tulipwood.....way too dark for a Rose Beige interior.

What I found was these last two samples from Kravet Couture's, Plazzo line are exactly the same as another companies called Brunschwig & Fils, Autun line!?! Different named colors, but the exact same fabric. With the same high price tag on all 4 samples!

All I can say is without kits to rely on from Labaron Bonney, or Cartouche, we're left to wade through this mess of designer fabrics by ourselves. The prices are all over the place, quality too, not to mention you'll need a good upholstery trimmer to put it together. Just be careful as you go.

Again, thank you DavidG for your help!
Old 01-03-2024, 08:34 PM   #14
DavidG

With all of the caveats regarding photos, I agree that #5 is a good match.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:33 PM   #15
DavidG

The attached are of the rose beige material in a very original '34 deluxe coupe. Apart from the effects of exposure, dye lots seem to a large factor in the materials' color retention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original '34 3-w coupe.jpg (32.6 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (52.7 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed-1.jpg (36.1 KB, 172 views)
Old 01-05-2024, 02:35 PM   #16
petehoovie

Quote:
The attached are of the rose beige material in a very original '34 deluxe coupe. Apart from the effects of exposure, dye lots seem to a large factor in the materials' color retention.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 01-05-2024, 08:01 PM   #17
Scott/Mn

Quote:
Thank you David for posting these photos. This coupe is in our garage, and I should add that the mohair seat base has a pink hue when viewed in certain lighting, however I can't seem to photograph this.
I am also enclosing photos of the rumble seat material in case this is helpful to any Ford Barners. The rumble seat is a lighter brown than I usually see in the restored cars. The original rear floor mat is similar in color to the reproductions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS 1.jpg (67.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg RS 2.jpg (26.1 KB, 144 views)
Scott/Mn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:28 PM   #18
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott/Mn View Post
Thank you David for posting these photos. This coupe is in our garage, and I should add that the mohair seat base has a pink hue when viewed in certain lighting, however I can't seem to photograph this.
I am also enclosing photos of the rumble seat material in case this is helpful to any Ford Barners. The rumble seat is a lighter brown than I usually see in the restored cars. The original rear floor mat is similar in color to the reproductions.

Old 01-05-2024, 11:15 PM   #19
DavidG

Please look at #7 above and you will note that Ford changed the color of the leather it was using in May, 1934. Previously it was an fairly dark olive brown called Copra Drab. Subsequently it was Taupe. While your second rumble seat photo is pretty dark, The first photo is lighter and while leather tends to darken with age, the color in that first photo is definitely not Cobra Drab as it is totally lacking any hint of olive.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:53 PM   #20
Scott/Mn

Quote:
Please look at #7 above and you will note that Ford changed the color of the leather it was using in May, 1934. Previously it was an fairly dark olive brown called Copra Drab. Subsequently it was Taupe. While your second rumble seat photo is pretty dark, The first photo is lighter and while leather tends to darken with age, the color in that first photo is definitely not Cobra Drab as it is totally lacking any hint of olive.
I appreciate your comments, and certainly agree that the color is Taupe. Glass dates on the car are 4-34, so presumably the coupe was assembled after the color change.
I took several more pictures of the artificial leather, and below is a relatively accurate idea of the color under normal (in the garage) light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS 4.jpg (31.3 KB, 96 views)
Scott/Mn is online now   Reply With Quote