Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
OL JENNY

Default Hot Wire Question

I am still trying to think through some type of audio warning for lights being left on. On a Model A with a 6 volt alternator is there anywhere in the wiring where it is only hot when the engine is running. I have seen the posts that work with a generator by connecting ahead of the cutout, but I don't seem to think of a similar type location on a one post 6 volt alternator. I will probably settle for a little LED that is on when the headlights are on. Usually I have only forgot them when using the lights for daytime driving. Thanks for taking a look at the post.
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: Hot Wire Question

Not on a one-wire alternator if you have the original ignition wiring: Batt to coil to switch to points. If you have changed wiring to switch the coil on/off it is a simple high z relay or switching transistor between that point and the tail lamp feed.

If you have an alternator with an "L" terminal (lamp) AND the alternator is not wired to produce an output polarity opposite what the "L" terminal can sink, you could place a piezo buzzer between the tail lamp feed and the "L" terminal. Keep in mind piezos are polarity sensitive. To put that in simpler terms, it will work with a neg. ground 3 wire alternator, but not with most one-wire nor any positive ground alternators based on the old Delco 10/12SI design.

If you understand what is inside any alternator regulator you can split it open and add a MOSFET to switch a reminder buzzer on when the drive to the rotor falls to zero.

There are other external ways for a 6V+ one-wire vehicle, but not do-it-yourself easy. You could build a voltage comparator circuit that would switch on/off just above battery voltage. You could place a sensor, like a Hall or photo beam to detect engine rotation and use it to constantly reset a delay timer that keeps the buzzer off. You could build a waveform monitor to detect ignition activity, etc, etc. Get some TTL and CMOS cookbooks and have fun.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:31 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I guess you could get used to looking at the ammeter, as it will indicate the lights being on.

I thinking out loud here but an electronic hobbyist could come up with a light replacement for the ammeter. It could show one color for charge and one for discharge. With the car off the"meter" lights would be off and if the headlamps are on it would be lit..
Old 03-20-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
Willie Krash

You could bring a wire off a stator terminal and feed it out the hole by the #2 or F terminal or better yet mount an insulated stud there (they make a kit) and you would scab off about 3.5V of quasi DC. It will have the properties of DC. Now you would have to find a 3-4 V relay and tie that to a buzzer or sonalert. The stator tap would open the points when the car is running and when the alt stopped outputting if the lights are on the buzzer will sound. I think I'm good here, will have another glass of wine and think on it...

Context, this is often done on industrial equipment to feed hobbs meters, etc.
The stator tap can take a lot of electrical abuse where diode trio (L-term) not so much.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
OL JENNY

Thanks to all who have replied, this gives considerable food for thought. Remembering or a small indicator light starts to look better all the time.
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
Bob C

Just looking at the ammeter when you get out of the car is a good habit.
It will let you know if the cut out is stuck, brake light switch it stuck or
the head light are on.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

I had that problem when using the lights in the day time and then parking. I have a roadster. I installed a brake light switch in the door jam. The door pushes the plunger in as it closes. I then took power from the tail light circuit to the switch, then from the switch to a 6 volt buzzer I got at Radio Shack and then to ground. When the lights are on and the switch plunger is out, the buzzer goes. jack
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote