Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2022, 01:28 PM   #1661
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Guys, Thanks for the suggestions on the floor stain. I am using some minwax #224 Dark stain for interior house window trim. This might work well also?? Looking forward to seeing Davids picture of the new floor boars too!

Friend Matt was over to talk maple and I started the 32. He thought it sounded good.

Today I am working on getting the newly mounted 6.00-16, tri-rib tires mounted on the Allis-Chalmers D14 tractor that I will try to use to plow the drive way. I bought this tractor lastspring at a auction. We will see how the front blade, loaded rear tires and chains work on the heavy wet snow from last night.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:49 PM   #1662
Dad250

David, Chris -

Yesterday the delivery included David's excellent 2 volume set on 32's ! Amazing amount of information and detail. I did a quick read through the first volume and looked at the second one this morning over coffee. BTW - I really appreciate the spiral binding as it allows you to digest each paragraph and image without fighting the binding !

Thanks for the pointers on the motor mounts - my first order also arrived yesterday and due to an oversight on my part, I have not 2 but only 1 mount ! So I guess I'll need to place another order for more goodies ! The mounts on my truck have deteriorated to the point that they are just a gooey mess - don't know if it was heat or antifreeze/oil that killed them but something sure did.

I'll pull the spare out of the fender mount and the front passenger wheel this weekend and post a couple pix - I think my truck is running 17s on all four and one 18 as the spare. Need to get this straighten out before ordering tires this winter.

Rory
Old 11-17-2022, 09:18 PM   #1663
sugarmaker

Rory,
Your doing good on the truck! What a nice project!
Thanks for the update. The tries will be a good chunk of change. Get what you want for sure.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #1664
Dad250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Rory,
Your doing good on the truck! What a nice project!
Thanks for the update. The tries will be a good chunk of change. Get what you want for sure.
Regards,
Chris
Thanks - Spring is the target for rolling around the county scaring the cows !

Regarding the tires - I hear you Chris - but getting the Shocks, arms and dog bones will be more !😬
Old 11-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #1665
DavidG

Chris,

Are you close enough to the south shore of Lake Erie be getting some of that heavy lake-effects snow? I note that wind is from the southwest which will hopefully spare you from the worst of it.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:57 AM   #1666
sugarmaker

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad250 View Post
Thanks - Spring is the target for rolling around the county scaring the cows !

Regarding the tires - I hear you Chris - but getting the Shocks, arms and dog bones will be more !😬
I have not had any encounters with old shocks yet. Looking foward to learning about those too. So pickups had shocks, nice! The ragged ol truck is more like riding on a tractor with a cab. Functional but not many creature comforts!
I had not thought of scaring cows with the 32? But As I increase my range that sure could happen!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-19-2022, 09:09 AM   #1667
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Chris,

Are you close enough to the south shore of Lake Erie be getting some of that heavy lake-effects snow? I note that wind is from the southwest which will hopefully spare you from the worst of it.
David,
From our house looking to the west, If I squinted real hard I could see Detroit across the lake!
We do get Lake effect storms for sure. We are about 10-12 miles south of the Lake Erie shore. More than Cleveland, less than Buffalo. We only got about 12-16 inches day before yesterday. Yea Buffalo is getting hammered!
I still need to get some pictures of the pedal assembly on the 32. It is not off yet. and has turned into one of the many winter projects in the shop! Man the list is long! I found some plywood for the floor boards. Yes procrastinating on that too! Did some Ford Jubilee tractor maintenance over the last few days. New water pump, changed oil and filter, greased, and updated a wire to the rear lights.
OLD and COLD here, I caved and turned the big portion of the shop up to 63F (was 60) last night! We will see how that went last night as the outside temp is 40 deg less.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-19-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:04 AM   #1668
JimG

I live in Hamburg, NY. They say we got 61" here, so far. More on the way tonight. Snow band has moved North today. In Orchard Park where Charlie NY lives they got 66". Here is a photo I posted in GB Sisson's "Fords in the Fall" thread and the same shot today. Crazy thing is we had a record breaking 80 degree temperature two weeks ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-12-22 Fall Picture.jpg (46.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3084 Resize.jpg (52.7 KB, 50 views)
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:47 AM   #1669
sugarmaker

Ford Folks,
I took the 32 to the post office a week ago:

Some pictures of the pedal pivot are when I get a chance and ambition I will remove this and work on getting the joints tightened up again.

John and I are moving into some wood working projects for his 42 package tray and trunk tool box covers, and my floor boards. Local hardware has the ebony minwax stain as mentioned earlier.
We are in cold and snow mode:

Shop projects:

New tires on the D14:

Waterpump and fan adjustment on the Ford Jubilee:

Also a shot of engine temps on the B engine after some break in time on the road.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-20-2022, 08:43 AM   #1670
Bored&Stroked

Looks like your new engine is really running well! Doesn't that just make you feel like a big kid again? I love new engine starts - like a scary Christmas! Have a great Thanksgiving.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:01 AM   #1671
sugarmaker

Dale, Folks,
Yes as we completed and installed the B engine, We ran through the double check list and couldn't find any open items. It cranked till fuel filled the carb and instanly fired up. All the things I learned from the folks here and friends, really helped make it a special start up!
I must say this engine starts almost the same as the Tennesee engine. Couple pumps on the gas, pull out the choke. Pull the starter cable, she chokes, burps, and coughs once, push the choke in, pull the starter cable and its running! It for sure had way more power and this engine is way more responsive too.
Since I have never been a Model A guy, these are still very new to me. Always learning!
I do have to change out the oil pan gasket as I am getting a drop a day from that. But the back of the oil pan and front of the oil pan are nice dry! Took a year, and I took my time even after it came from the machine shop twice, but pretty darn happy. Even the fresh Ford green pleases me. The ragged ol truck deserved that too.
Back in snow mode here. Off to plow 6 more inches of white stuff!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-20-2022, 09:26 AM   #1672
sugarmaker

DavidG, Folks
I am going to order the pedal bushings. I see a bunch of pivot pins (with the same number) with a small cross pin on the one end. I believe you are saying my shaft may be unique as in early production? Maybe I will get out and take this portion of the truck apart today, for further review and potential repairs. Yes a good witer project! Glad to see some of these items available too!
Thanks for the part numbers To get me started.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-20-2022, 12:39 PM   #1673
Bob C

Chris, what is the slot for in the clutch rod for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32-clutch rod.jpg (225.5 KB, 21 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:51 PM   #1674
sugarmaker

Bob,
Well its was there when I got the truck. Assume its original? I would say that it allows some movement of the pedal before the actual throw out bearing is moved??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-20-2022, 01:17 PM   #1675
DavidG

Chris,

I had the same question as a rod with that slot is for the brake pedal where the slot serves to let the brake pedal and hand brake lever to operate independently.

The rod for the clutch pedal only has a hole for the clevis pin with the special head for retaining the spring on its pedal end and threads for a clevis on the clutch release lever arm end.

The free travel in the clutch pedal takes place internally within the bell housing before the throw-out bearing engages the fingers on the clutch pressure plate. About 1"-1 1/2" (between the pedal at rest against the underside of the round rubber bumper on the lower floorboard pedal plate and the start of clutch engagement) is ideal; with that slotted rod in your photo it must be at least 2 1/2" to 3", way more than the design intent.

The clutch pedal also appears to be missing its return spring which is similar to the return spring on the brake pedal, which is present.

Michael can probably provide the correct rod and the return spring for the clutch pedal, if not, let me know.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:49 PM   #1676
sugarmaker

Bob, David,
Thanks for the heads up on the rods. Humm I will look at this a little closer. Maybe I had this apart and put together wrong?? I do remember adjusting it to try to take out some slop.
The return spring for the clutch is hanging out of site.
Just got done plowing the drive.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-20-2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:06 PM   #1677
flatford8

Chris, happy to see the progress on the Ragged ‘Ol Truck !!!........but, you can keep the snow removal !!....I have equipment to move it but man I don’t like to......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:42 PM   #1678
sugarmaker

Mark,
Allis D14 and front blade. Takes our mind to more of a survival mode! Maybe like the winter of 78:

Good day to be just snowed in, with lovely wife and good pup!:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-20-2022, 07:45 PM   #1679
sugarmaker

Ford Folks,
Back to the 32 and the brake and clutch issues:
The goal is to improve/ reduce the slop in the pivot pin and the pedal bushings. Also to address the clutch rod.

So I took the pedal/ brace assembly out of the truck to allow clean up and to get the tapered pin out of the cross shaft.

The cross pivot pin ( similar to B-7506) is quite worn. No suprise here. This maybe be a early pin with a single grease fitting feeding both pedal bushings? .870 dia by 5.32 inches long. I am going to need a new one if aviable or get one made? Most of the ones I see on line are for pedals that have grease fittings in each of the pedal arms. Mine do not. So as David mentioned this may be a early version.

The bushings inside the pedals are very worn also. I did order these from Third Gen.

Now the puzzler is this rod with the slot that was on the clutch. I had it adjusted all the way out so the small rear cross pin would push on the clutch arm.

More investigating to understand what happened, with this clutch rod, and why this slotted rod was used?? Maybe the original broke and they found this in a junk yard??

I do see that Third Gen has a B-7532 clevis, and a EF-7521 rod with just a hole in the end. Maybe these are what I need to correct this clutch rod?? I just ordered the clevis and the 5 inch rod with just a hole in it. This will tidy up the slotted rod issue. That should just leave the support pivot pin and re assembly.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-20-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:36 PM   #1680
DavidG

I will check tomorrow for a pivot pin with the grease fitting on the end. I will also try and remember to take a photo of a #1 floor board made to the original engineering drawing.

In the meantime, what does the truck have in the way of stamped steel plates that attach to the #1 floor board in the upper left hand corner to encase the steering column and brake and clutch pedals and seal off that area from the outside air with a foam rubber center section sandwiched between the two stamped plates?