Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2022, 07:32 AM   #1
Grumps

Default Why does it Lean?

With my A sitting in my driveway without any weight in it and looking at it from the front it sits lower or leans to the driver's side. I know that it shouldn't, but I need some help to know where to start looking. What do I need to look for?
Grumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
gdmn852

Default Re: Why does it Lean?

Hello,Shackle bushings wear and that will make the car lean , you will need a spring spreader to remove the spring from shackles and axle. Be careful, those springs have quite a kick, the rear in particular. Usually you will find the bushings worn out of round. Springs also can be a source of off level.Do a search on Ford Barn may also help.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:12 AM   #3
Roger V

It leans because of possibly 90+ years of fatigue with at least a driver but not always a passenger. One of my A's had this. I measured the frame every foot to see if it had the driver side rail fatigued downward. Was okay so replaced the front spring because it was smaller. No change. Went to the larger rear spring whereby the driver side was lower. Didn't expect that due to being bigger. Replaced with a new one and was back to level.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:18 AM   #4
fundytides

Check the front spring centerbolt. I bought a 31 Roadster years ago that had a noticeable lean to the drivers side. I discovered that the head had sheared off the center bolt and the frame had slid to the left on the spring.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:48 AM   #5
Tim Ayers

My '28 AV8 roadster is rebuilt from front to back. Has approx. 250 miles on it. Airplane shocks front and back. The car has the same lean.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:34 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

lubrication of the springs is cheap and easy, take oil can and soak spring with automatic transmission fluid , don’t forget the oil hole in the crank bracket , go for a drive and oil again —- this fixed the lean in my car, i did have to tighten the shock needle valves to stop the bouncing, the car returns to level .
if that doesn’t work you can move in to the more expensive options mentioned in other posts
If there’s is red dust coming from between the spring leaves they are dry and need lubricant
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:33 PM   #7
john charlton

Most RHD cars lean to the right . It is years of the drivers weight with less often balancing weight from a passenger . The frame can also sag slightly on the drivers side . I am building a LHD roadster right now and will rotate the springs 180 degrees which should make it upright .

John in a lovely summer Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:43 PM   #8
ronn

Big Bertha drove the car to market every Saturday.

why your car leans...... left.
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:14 PM   #9
john in illinois

A club member had a Tudor that leaned. He tried a lot of things. We told him to get a heavier girl friend. It was always a joke from then on.

John
Old 07-27-2022, 04:47 PM   #10
WHN

Think of your favorite chair after watching TV setting in it for 90 years.

Replace your springs should correct the problem. I would do one at a time, starting with the front. Just the front could solve the problem.

We had the same issue on our 29. Front spring fixed it.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #11
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Think of your favorite chair after watching TV setting in it for 90 years.

Replace your springs should correct the problem. I would do one at a time, starting with the front. Just the front could solve the problem.

We had the same issue on our 29. Front spring fixed it.

Enjoy.
When or if you take it apart you may find a divot on the top of a spring from the one above it. If this is the case smooth it out to a bevel before lubing and putting back together.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:02 PM   #12
NZ28ModelA

I too found my front spring centre bolt had sheared off sliding several of the springs across to one side..
NZ28ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:10 AM   #13
Grumps

Alright now I have several places to start checking. I know that the car leans to the drivers side and I'm not a small guy so it must really be low when I'm in it. There's not much of a chance of me getting smaller so I'll have to fix the lean.
Grumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:48 AM   #14
Fhane

We have corrected the problem if not to severe. This can happen when installing a new spring if not careful. The problem can be caused by all stated above. Put the car on a level surface. Loosen the all nuts that hold the U bolts for the spring or springs in question. Rock the car so it sits level to the level surface. Now tighten the nuts on the U bolts carefully as not to off set the level of the car. If you tighten the two bolts on one side of the U bolt too much at one time the car will lean to that side. Having an observer should help. When tightening the U bolts you can usually level the car. Good luck.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:16 PM   #15
rotorwrench

A person could re-arch the springs if they are in decent condition. Leaning cars generally have a bit more fatigue on the one side. If it still leans after arching then either bend the arches a bit tighter on the one side or replace the springs. As was mentioned, some springs can be turned around to put the driver weight on the opposite side.

Put some ballast on the other side or have someone stand on there and see how much weight balances the car out. More modern cars with dual springs generally hold up better than the buggy spring set up but good quality springs generally last a long time without problems like this.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:53 PM   #16
Ivan in southeast va.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhane View Post
We have corrected the problem if not to severe. This can happen when installing a new spring if not careful. The problem can be caused by all stated above. Put the car on a level surface. Loosen the all nuts that hold the U bolts for the spring or springs in question. Rock the car so it sits level to the level surface. Now tighten the nuts on the U bolts carefully as not to off set the level of the car. If you tighten the two bolts on one side of the U bolt too much at one time the car will lean to that side. Having an observer should help. When tightening the U bolts you can usually level the car. Good luck.
That's what we did.
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:28 AM   #17
ronn

turning the springs around sounds like a great idea, esp if youre a bit on the burley side.

it will even out over time.
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:45 AM   #18
brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhane View Post
we have corrected the problem if not to severe. This can happen when installing a new spring if not careful. The problem can be caused by all stated above. Put the car on a level surface. Loosen the all nuts that hold the u bolts for the spring or springs in question. Rock the car so it sits level to the level surface. Now tighten the nuts on the u bolts carefully as not to off set the level of the car. If you tighten the two bolts on one side of the u bolt too much at one time the car will lean to that side. Having an observer should help. When tightening the u bolts you can usually level the car. Good luck.
bingo
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:47 PM   #19
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

It leans to the left.....maybe cause it's a Democrat?
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:02 PM   #20
Dirtrack49

I think Paul Shinn had a good idea on this subject. Every time you get out on the drivers side, go over to the passenger side and stand on the running board. If your springs are good, you will help alleviate the memory of the drivers side lean by doing so.
I have found this to be true on many an old vehicle.
Works for me.