Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
rivcokid

Default Electrical problem has me stumped

Hi all - Last weekend I was at a car show and everything was fine until I went to leave. Total and complete dead car - no sound, no moaning, no groaning, and no cranking. It was like the battery was out of the car. Had AAA jump me twice to get me home and while the car was on, everything was fine as usual.
Apparently bad battery so got a new one, installed it, and same thing! No sound except once when it cranked. Otherwise, nothing. I've checked and charged the battery, checked the volts on the battery, ground cable and battery seems fine. When the ignition switch is off, I get 6 volts on both sides of the starter, with ignition on, I get 0. I tried hand-cranking it to no avail. The red book wants me to check all kinds of things, but with no power beyond the starter (that I can tell), I can't. It's not making any attempt at starting.

AAA may have used a 12-volt portable jumper to get me going - I didn't look, but he connected the positive lead to the positive terminal, and likewise with the negative and the car started right up and ran great.

Thanks in advance - I'm still very new to all of this!
rivcokid is offline   Reply With Quote