Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
rob63mess

Default phaeton not handling well

My 29 phaeton, which I have recently built and am in the process of debugging, is not handling well. it doesn't shimmy and doesn't have excessive play in the steering wheel. Kingpins and bushings have been replaced. It just seems to want to "sway" down the road always needing to be corrected. Any ideas?
rob63mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: phaeton not handling well

check front wheel "toe"---if it's toe out it will not feel good driving ---and wear tires
a quick "feel" check is to rub your hand across the tread, if in one direction you feel sharp edges, the other direction rounded edges most likely the toe is wrong
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
briphaeton

Rear panhard bar.
briphaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
1crosscut

Have someone sit in the car and move the steering wheel back and forth each way almost moving the wheels. Have them bump it back and forth while you are under the car looking at each connection on the drag link, tie rods and where the wish bone connect to the underside of the flywheel housing looking for any movement. Check the pitman arm to make sure it is tight to the shaft. Once you get all of the movement out of the parts and pieces re-set your toe in.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #5
W_Higgins

Get an alignment. A competent and accommodating shop that can bend solid front axles for trucks can properly set the caster and camber on a Model A, which is all too often neglected.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
slammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob63mess View Post
It just seems to want to "sway" down the road always needing to be corrected. Any ideas?
Do you have 4 working shocks?
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Tacoma Bob

I hope to give a full report of my ongoing and similar issues in the next day or so. It's a very long story and every post above has merit and I did all of the stuff mentioned and more. Something to check is the spring perch nuts. My driver side took two full turns. the passenger side took 3/4 of a turn. I have been on this witch hunt for several years and just last week got it corrected. If you want to give me a phone call PM me for my number. I may be able to share some shortcuts.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
rob63mess

thanks for the replies....I will get the car on a lift and begin trouble shooting. an alignment sounds like a good start.
rob63mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
iverson

make sure your new king pin bushings are not to tight.
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:20 AM   #10
Dick Carne

I agree with Mr. Higgins above. On my last restoration, I was advised by the alignment shop that the front axle had a slight forward and rearward bend on each side of the axle - not noticeable to look at, but apparently enough to alter their ability to provide a proper alignment without bending the axle back into shape. Fortunately they were set up to bend solid front axles as well (buses, dump trucks, etc.), so after several hours, were able to properly align the front end. Be prepared though to cover the cost of a more expensive type of alignment - in my case it ran somewhere in the $350 - $400 range. I've done this type of alignment with all of my cars, and once completed, there is no "wandering" or excessive tire wear. For years, my '29 phaeton drove well without shocks even (it now has them), so in my opinion, if the front end has been properly rebuilt, there should be no need for panhard bars or other compensating hardware. Good luck with the final finish work on your project.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote