Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #21
ironandsteele

Default Re: How rare is an "August" spare tire cover for 1936 ?

This is all great stuff, thank you guys.

My hunt continues but I am enjoying reading all of these comments.
ironandsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:24 PM   #22
vulture

This one was going to go on my 33 phaeton I didn’t know it is a sought after part
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #23
Cool Kat with Hot Car

I understood from years of collecting the "standard' cover that they were the ones used on commercial vehicles such as panels and pickups in 36 and 37 and maybe even 38 & 39. Any thoughts from more knowledgable enthusiasts?
Cool Kat with Hot Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #24
Don Rogers

This is the Standard cover that most people refer to on panels and pickups.
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:31 PM   #25
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
BluCar, What is the diameter of your standard cover that you are using on your 6.00 x 16" tires?

Don, From the attached pix you will note that I have at least two extra '36 tire covers, the 'common' style and an August one. Both of the tire covers are in excellent shape, the August cover has original paint, which is near perfect. Common cover has excellent original blue paint on the back side and badly worn paint on the front side.

I have made mention about the condition of the covers because had they show signs of damage or repair, measurements might not be accurate.

The OD of the common cover is... 27.5"

The OD of the August cover is.... 26-7/8"

Reviewing the two covers side by side I noted that the covers have a completely different amount of 'dish' which would position the covers differently on the wheel/tire, that would explain the long lock extension built into the tire mount.
The larger common cover could indicate that it was made to accommodate the 600 x 16 and 650 x 16 tires.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #26
blucar

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Opps, did not attach the pix.. Hmmm.? Interesting, the pix won't load.
While putting the covers away I noted that the common cover seemed to be much heavier than the August cover, I got out the scales. The common cover weighed 9.5 lbs, the August cover weighed 6.5 lbs. A significant difference.

Could be the weight savings was the main reason for redesigning the tire covers so late in the model run.
I wonder? Has anyone ever seen an official Ford document that states that the August cover is only to be used on Standard cars.

Ya know there are so many myths that become reputed facts due to the years they have been around. The myth surrounding the "ping" noise the ammo clip for the M1 rifle makes when ejected from the breach, which reputedly cost a lot of lives during WWII comes to mind..
Old 09-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #27
DavidG

I guess you missed Don's reference in post #17 to the two Ford engineering drawings regarding the later cover. Those are hard to beat when it comes to documentation.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #28
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I guess you missed Don's reference in post #17 to the two Ford engineering drawings regarding the later cover. Those are hard to beat when it comes to documentation.

I did not miss Don's comment in #17 about the "engineering drawings", my question was regarding an actual document which stated that the August cover (68-1395-E) was only meant to be used on Standard cars.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #29
DavidG

It would have been on the drawing, which is a Ford Motor Company "actual drawing" of the period. Your comment suggests that you are not familiar with such drawings. If you are ever in the Dearborn area, you may wish to visit the Benson Ford Research Center to become familiar with such documents and their contents. Another document type that would you would likely find informative would be the Engineering Release forms which compliment the drawings with information regarding the timing and application of parts released for production and use.

Don has spent endless hours at the BFRC studying the information available therein such as the blueprint drawings he referred to in #17 and acquiring a library of that information.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #30
Kube

Bill (Blucar),

In addition to what Dave has rightfully allowed, a visit to the Benson Ford Research Center is at minimum fascinating!
It doesn't take too long to understand (for the most part) how Ford "did things" and with that knowledge, you will be quickly amazed at how much is there for the learning.
During the years I've been researching for my book (1940 Ford) I have spent quite a bit of time there. My biggest personal issue, is just how easy it is for me to "stray" from my original intended research project to a zillion other things.
Yep, there is THAT much to be discovered.

Fascinating place... simply fascinating.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #31
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Bill (Blucar),

In addition to what Dave has rightfully allowed, a visit to the Benson Ford Research Center is at minimum fascinating!
It doesn't take too long to understand (for the most part) how Ford "did things" and with that knowledge, you will be quickly amazed at how much is there for the learning.
During the years I've been researching for my book (1940 Ford) I have spent quite a bit of time there. My biggest personal issue, is just how easy it is for me to "stray" from my original intended research project to a zillion other things.
Yep, there is THAT much to be discovered.

Fascinating place... simply fascinating.
At last, a plausible excuse for not finishing the 1940 Ford book!
Old 09-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #32
DavidG

Now, now, Alan......
Old 09-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #33
Don Rogers

BluCar, Here is a portion of the title block of the 68-1395-E drawing that specifies what the cover is to be used for. Hope this helps.
Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (86.2 KB, 77 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #34
blucar

Since the engineering drawing copy which Don attached to his most recent comment, where-in it clearly states that the 68-1395-E tire cover is intended to fit the 550 x 16 tire, then it can be assumed that it is intended for use on Standard Model vehicles.
The anomaly to the subject is the cover being on my '36 Deluxe coupe which I bought from the original owner in 1952. The original owner was a teacher at a Jr. High school that I attended in Eastern Idaho through the ninth grade. I can clearly recall the '36 sitting on the street adjacent to the school during the three years I attended that school.
I gave up showing my '36 at EFV8 meets over twenty-five years ago. Prior to that time I was never challenged for having an incorrect tire cover on the car, could have been because nobody knew what they were looking at.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #35
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Since the engineering drawing copy which Don attached to his most recent comment, where-in it clearly states that the 68-1395-E tire cover is intended to fit the 550 x 16 tire, then it can be assumed that it is intended for use on Standard Model vehicles.
The anomaly to the subject is the cover being on my '36 Deluxe coupe which I bought from the original owner in 1952. The original owner was a teacher at a Jr. High school that I attended in Eastern Idaho through the ninth grade. I can clearly recall the '36 sitting on the street adjacent to the school during the three years I attended that school.
I gave up showing my '36 at EFV8 meets over twenty-five years ago. Prior to that time I was never challenged for having an incorrect tire cover on the car, could have been because nobody knew what they were looking at.
Bill, In recent years, the amount of research that has gone on in regard to our old Fords has been exhaustive. Guys like Don Rogers have done a great service to those wishing to restore their cars properly. Twenty-five years ago we may now look back and kind of figure just how much in the "stone age" we really were compared to now.
I have been working on a "new" restoration manual for 1940 Fords for a number of years now. I can tell you that from that personal experience how little I really knew just tens years ago. Keep in mind ten years ago, my cars were being scrutinized and awarded 997+ points. Now those same cars, judged against what I have documented would not fare as well.
MUCH of what was considered "correct" just back then has been clearly disproven by me due to this research.

This entire "correct" thing is ever evolving. I know I've taken some poopy as to how long I've been working on my project and realize there will come a point wherein I must simply accept that "this is it". Still, my quest to get all details correct drives me onward.
Just when I thought I knew....
Old 09-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #36
blucar

Kube,
I understand completely what you are saying, there was a time many years ago that cars like my '36 were highly frowned on by the purests because it had hydraulic brakes, a '59 AB engine with speed equipment and a column gearshift, and prior to 1960 '37 Desoto bumpers. Things started to change by the late 1960's, early '70's, hydraulic brakes and speed equipment became acceptable on mainstream cars. Using the term "mainstream cars" I am referring to cars that were drivers, not show cars.
The last EFV8 Club sanctioned car show I entered my '36 in was held in the early '70's in Oxnard CA. My car took the trophy for the most popular in it's class. Still have the trophy sitting on a shelf in my garage.
My car getting the trophy created a big uproar among the other entrants in my class. One man in particular was very outspoken. He had a very nice dead stock, highly restored gray '36 5 win cpe. It was very obvious that the gray '36 was restored with mostly aftermarket parts, of rather poor quality.
The judges finally stopped the argument by telling everyone they should take a close look at my '36, in doing so they would find that the car had it's original upholstery, original Ford glass, original trim and accessories. Original paint on the cowl and door jambs. Yes it had a 59AB engine and a column shift, however, the mechanical aspects were still all Ford.
My only concern about the August tire cover is that I know the cover will fit perfectly on a 600 x 16 tire, I also know that it came on my car when it was new, which was in August, 1936, that is why I refer to the cover as being a August cover in lieu of a Standard cover.
I find it to be quite interesting that the content of this thread has brought to light the fact the in all probability there are TWO COMMON '36 TIRE COVERS, one for the 600 x 16 and one for the 650 x 16 tire..
Old 09-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #37
Kube

Quote:
Kube,
I understand completely what you are saying, there was a time many years ago that cars like my '36 were highly frowned on by the purests because it had hydraulic brakes, a '59 AB engine with speed equipment and a column gearshift, and prior to 1960 '37 Desoto bumpers. Things started to change by the late 1960's, early '70's, hydraulic brakes and speed equipment became acceptable on mainstream cars. Using the term "mainstream cars" I am referring to cars that were drivers, not show cars.
The last EFV8 Club sanctioned car show I entered my '36 in was held in the early '70's in Oxnard CA. My car took the trophy for the most popular in it's class. Still have the trophy sitting on a shelf in my garage.
My car getting the trophy created a big uproar among the other entrants in my class. One man in particular was very outspoken. He had a very nice dead stock, highly restored gray '36 5 win cpe. It was very obvious that the gray '36 was restored with mostly aftermarket parts, of rather poor quality.
The judges finally stopped the argument by telling everyone they should take a close look at my '36, in doing so they would find that the car had it's original upholstery, original Ford glass, original trim and accessories. Original paint on the cowl and door jambs. Yes it had a 59AB engine and a column shift, however, the mechanical aspects were still all Ford.
My only concern about the August tire cover is that I know the cover will fit perfectly on a 600 x 16 tire, I also know that it came on my car when it was new, which was in August, 1936, that is why I refer to the cover as being a August cover in lieu of a Standard cover.
I find it to be quite interesting that the content of this thread has brought to light the fact the in all probability there are TWO COMMON '36 TIRE COVERS, one for the 600 x 16 and one for the 650 x 16 tire..
How do you KNOW that cover was on your car when new?
Old 09-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #38
VeryTangled

Taking a left turn here... One of the things I will never forget is getting the opportunity to use my '36 Phaeton as a 'taxi' for Don Rogers and Gene Napoliello. We went from the Benson Ford Research Center to the meet hotel this past Grand National Meet.

Because they don't really allow camera stands or flash, in the BFRC, that pic of the engineering drawing was done free-hand! Impressive...

I hope Don will forgive me for posting the photo.

On the subject of the spare tire cover. I'm about 100% certain that none of us were there on the day the original owner picked up a vehicle from the dealer... So, from day #2, what could be changed, could be changed. That's just my take.

Also the two tire options are 6.00x16 and 5.50x16. Or apparently Ford called it a 16 x 5.50.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0270-2.jpg (41.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (86.2 KB, 40 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-29-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to add photo
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #39
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
...these methods likely put a thin little grin on the old man's face!
Nice...

Old 09-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #40
VeryTangled

Quote:
I gave up showing my '36 at EFV8 meets over twenty-five years ago.... could have been because nobody knew what they were looking at.
As a EFV-8 Deputy Judge for 36 and sometimes 35, I'd agree that we're just volunteers and not always experts.