Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Karl

Default 1933/1934 Variations

As I work my way over my new 1934 I find some interesting variations. I have continous history of the car and it was first registered in Wellington New Zealand on March 8th 1934. Like all RHD fords it probably originated in Canada either complete or as a kit for assembly here (I'm not sure which). Often the RHD cars lagged behind the USA cars in terms of changes being made and I suspect Ford just used up the spare parts on the export orders.

As Phil and I struggle with the locks we find that both the (first owner recorded) original Key code and door lock are 1932 vintage. I just went to install a 1934 cowl screen and as you can (just) see from the attached photo I have a 1933 Cowl flap and of couse the screen won't fit!

I also have a set of pin hinges on each side of the front seat. I suspect that removal of the pin allows the seat to lie down to form a sleeper. I have included a couple of photos. None of my books mention this as a 1933/34 accessory but I have seen a 1934 advertised locally some years ago as the "rare sleeper option"

Any way back to the garage and onto the fuel gauge . Still causing me grief Its latest trick is to read correctly and hold level for days in the garage but after a drive drop to zero ! Karl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fordbarn1.jpg (45.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg fordbarn2.jpg (47.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg fordbarn3.jpg (56.0 KB, 76 views)
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:22 AM   #2
Tudortomnz

Default Re: 1933/1934 Variations

Hi Karl
Nice '34 you now have. The pin in the front seat was sometimes done by the owner to turn it into a ''sleeper'' on long trips & holidays. I once had a Model A Sedan with the same conversion & it was never available by Ford I believe.
Re the RHD getting old parts, well our cars then came from Ford Canada [ not CKD until late '36 with the opening of Seaview Plant] who often did not have to make production changes as quickly as US due to lower production. Almost half of their production was for export at this time & except for their Australian subsidiary, all their cars were basically the same whether domestic or export.
Your car must be a very early NZ new one for March '34. The experts here will know what '33 features it may have.
Tom
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Barn Junk

Here in the states, the screened cowl vent was a mid 1934 production year upgrade that was incorporated about the same time as the change to the interior center mounted door handle.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
JR48

Hi Karl, What model is this? I once had a 34 Victoria where the seat dropped down flat, I never thought that it was a factory option, but just made up by an enthusiastic romancer! James (Auckland)
JR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR48 View Post
Hi Karl, What model is this? I once had a 34 Victoria where the seat dropped down flat, I never thought that it was a factory option, but just made up by an enthusiastic romancer! James (Auckland)
Standard Fordor . It would apear that it is not a factory option but more a local option . One of the early owners was the inspector of public highways for the lower North Island and I suspect the car did many miles in his 38 years of ownership The sleeper option probably saved the tax payer a lot of hotel bills

I didn't realise that the cowl screen option didn't happen until the movement of the door handle. As my handles are the front mounted type then the cowl fits with what was standard in the USA. Hopefully I will avoid driving through a swam of bees! Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote