Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2023, 12:05 AM   #1
Eccentric Old Guy

Default Snyders #A-9193-T, trouble with crud in the bottom of my fuel tank.....

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...9346&cat=41707

Part # A-9193-T

I'm having trouble with sludge/sediment in the bottom of my gas tank, and wondering if anyone is using this screen attached to the shut off valve.....and, what they think about it.

I have a screen in the sediment bowl, and this isn't enough to prevent fine particles from entering the carburetor.

I've read the thread about the problems with inline fuel filters, and likely will not resort to that.

Any comments on this welcome, and thank you.

EOG
Old 10-10-2023, 12:56 AM   #2
lrf

Default Re: Snyders #A-9193-T, trouble with crud in the bottom of my fuel tank.....

I have such a filter in my gas tank, a filter in the cast iron sediment bulb, and the filter at the entrance of the Zenith carb. I still get super fine rust settling in the carb bowl. I clean the bowl about every 3 months. Only once has the fine rust clogged the idle jet, maybe 15 years ago. I believe the screen in the gas tank helps deter clogging. LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 01:11 AM   #3
Dino's A

Default Re: Snyders #A-9193-T, trouble with crud in the bottom of my fuel tank.....

I use the filter in the tank as well. Any particles you can save from
being grinded through the shutoff valve surfaces has to be better
for the valve. When you turn the valve on and off, you don't want
rust grinding in between the brass surfaces.

And yes, I know that with that screen, dirt still gets by. Hopefully,
it's a little less than not using the filter.
1968 Taco Minibike

Member, Santa Anita Model A's
Arcadia Ca.

Last edited by Dino's A; 10-10-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:34 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric Old Guy View Post
I'm having trouble with sludge/sediment in the bottom of my gas tank, and wondering if anyone is using this screen attached to the shut off valve.....and, what they think about it.

I have a screen in the sediment bowl, and this isn't enough to prevent fine particles from entering the carburetor.

I've read the thread about the problems with inline fuel filters, and likely will not resort to that.

Any comments on this welcome, and thank you.

EOG

Why not repair (i.e.: restore) the tank properly and be done with the issue? Even the stand-pipe screen will eventually plug ...and floating debris will still find its way down the the carburetor.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:39 AM   #5
Gary WA

put a dirty leg in till you can get properlycleaned

Last edited by Gary WA; 12-30-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:30 AM   #6
oldspert

And has been discussed before, put a strong magnet under your tank. It will catch the larger particles first, then the smaller stuff will be trapped in the filter screens. The extremely small stuff will get through no matter what filter you have.
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:53 AM   #7
[email protected]

Curious -- has anyone ever tried putting several magnets (separated by maybe 6-8" of light chain, followed by a 3rd magnet on a longer section of chain, into their tank to attract loose particles? Thinking the 3rd magnet would go just inside the lip of the gas tank so you could easily "fish out" the other 2 magnets. I have a beautifully painted 31 roadster that has gas tank troubles and it will destroy the paint taking the tank off the body. I'm trying desperately to solve this problem without having to remove the tank.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:57 PM   #8
1930artdeco

I put a rare earth magnet in the bowl and it picks up the super fine stuff.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:12 PM   #9
Pete

Pull the tank and get it pickled. Do NOT apply any coating afterward. The pickled surface is adequate for many years. Use the stock filter that came with the car, if any.

If you absolutely have to have the inside coated, have it Parkerized. You can paint over that on the outside. The process is pricey though.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 04:57 PM   #10
wrndln

1930artdeco,
The rare earth magnet on the sediment bowl sounds like a great idea. It could be placed where it can't be easily seen. Maybe a couple of them would be even better.

I was thinking about putting a regular magnet with a eyelet on it right below the fuel filler hole (would need to remove the screen first) -see picture below. Then every now and then pull the magnet out and clean off the rust particles and reinstall it until the magnet comes out clean. Even if the magnet wouldn't come out for some reason, I don't think it would hurt anything.

Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnet.jpg (15.7 KB, 18 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:53 PM   #11
[email protected]

FYI. The WIX gas filter 33039 fits perfectly in the glass sediment bowl and a pill sized super magnet can be attached to the metal bottom of this filter. It will attract all of the fine rust particles and it will grow a rust beard.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:04 PM   #12
Synchro909

I don't waste my time playing with a magnet to attract rust. Here's a demonstration of why.
https://www.google.com/search?q=is+r...R-Mm_lQA4,st:0
Old 10-11-2023, 07:51 PM   #13
31a

I also use the pencil filters in the gas tank
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:47 PM   #14
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I don't waste my time playing with a magnet to attract rust. Here's a demonstration of why.
https://www.google.com/search?q=is+r...R-Mm_lQA4,st:0
Very interesting!!
Old 10-12-2023, 01:30 PM   #15
Chris Haynes

Drain and flush your tank. Then refill it with RUST911 and let it sit for a day. Drain and save the RUST911 as it can be reused. It will dissolve all the rust in your tank and your problem will be gone.
https://www.amazon.com/Rust911-16-ga...7-857e17e03685
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 05:53 PM   #16
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Drain and flush your tank. Then refill it with RUST911 and let it sit for a day. Drain and save the RUST911 as it can be reused. It will dissolve all the rust in your tank and your problem will be gone.
https://www.amazon.com/Rust911-16-ga...7-857e17e03685

I’d heard rave reviews of the product, and I was skeptical until I tried it. It really dissolves rust well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:55 PM   #17

All good aviation retail companies sell a brass sediment bowl with a quick drain attachment on the bottom of the bowl. They are a push up drain type that will release crud, water, etc and self seal. Good for those who are not points cars.
Old 10-13-2023, 11:40 AM   #18
1930artdeco

I have a pencil filter in the tank and used to have the wix filter in the sediment bowl. I took it out after I was having problems-not related to it-but just have not replaced it yet. And yes the magnet does grow a beard of rust.
Old 10-16-2023, 04:40 PM   #19
Eccentric Old Guy

Thanks for all the information in this thread.

The gas tank is being treated with evapo-rust (similar to rust911):
https://www.evapo-rust.com/

The Snyder's "gas tank screen" (pencil filter) will be installed:
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...9346&cat=41707

Magnets will be placed in the bottom of the gas tank, and I'll put a rare earth magnet in the original sediment bowl.

If I still have trouble, I'll look into an aviation gascolator
Old 10-16-2023, 07:27 PM   #20
Dodge

Those pencil filters work good for the big chunks. My original sealer put in in the 1970's was starting to come apart with the new gas, the big chunks or sheets of it coming off
were plugging the fuel outlet. I put in a filter from an airless paint sprayer and it
hasn't plugged in years. I keep pulling chunks or sheets out of the tank on occaision though. (I used the sprayer fiilter before I know Snyders had one) It's much taller than the Snyders one.
The rust accumulates in the sediment bowl, I think I will also put a magnet in there for
Ha Ha's
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote