Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2024, 08:25 AM   #21
A bones

Default Re: I'm new to flatheads and glad to find this forum...TBC

Little something my Stepdad used to holler.
"We're All Bums, When The Wagon Comes!"
Much later, found its from Count Basie's ---" The Joint Is Jumpin "
Old 01-16-2024, 10:25 AM   #22
glennpm

Hi Jim,

You can get help with the Flathead here but the major frame replacement stuff, not.

Rebuilding a flathead, once you are able to find a decent block is going to cost 5 to 6k currently. Many people go through 4 or 5 blocks before finding a good or repairable one.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:04 AM   #23
Bored&Stroked

Okay, maybe he introduced himself in a manner that doesn't fit this place - I get that. And it is good for him to know that this place is about and what it is not about. We're surely not the type of folks who build Rat Rods - though many of us have heavily modified HotRods/StreetRods/Racecars that some here would not like.

I have a 32 three-window coupe with a dreaded SBC in it - it is surely more of a HAMB type car. I bought the car this way - would not have built it this way - but it has a place in my world. It makes 520 HP, has an automatic with OD, has air conditioning . . . a 'Street Rod' would be a category it would fit in. It doesn't fit here, and I don't post about it. I spent a lot of time and money completely rebuilding/updating the drive-train - it was a fun project. I try to not judge how others build their cars- I'll let God do that. LOL

If the poster wants to learn about flatheads, I'm more than happy to help. He can get all the help he needs on the rest of the car other places - and that doesn't bother me one bit.

I'd rather have new guys building and learning about flatheads than just dropping in yet another late model OHV (which is easy and cheap by comparison). The fact that he wants to go the flathead route is a good start in my book.

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:13 PM   #24
TJ

If a young guy wants to start out building a flathead motor there's always a good possibility he will graduate to building and saving a 32-53 Ford. At this point we can not afford to chase away young people who are interested in working on a flathead motor. In my area all of us are well over 70 and I can count the number of young guys interested in these old Fords on one hand. We need to lighten up a bit and give some polite guidance to our young people. You catch flies with honey and not vinegar.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:31 PM   #25
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
If a young guy wants to start out building a flathead motor there's always a good possibility he will graduate to building and saving a 32-53 Ford. At this point we can not afford to chase away young people who are interested in working on a flathead motor. In my area all of us are well over 70 and I can count the number of young guys interested in these old Fords on one hand. We need to lighten up a bit and give some polite guidance to our young people. You catch flies with honey and not vinegar.
Exactly my thoughts.

When I was a teenager, I was the ONLY one of my SoCal car group that built flatheads. If I'd have chosen my car friends by only those who were doing exactly what I was doing - I'd have had no car friends.

While I'm a bit nuts with Flathead Fords, I've also built --> Flathead Cadillacs, SBCs, SBFs, BBCs, BBFs, small-block Pontiacs, 400 Pontiacs, 392 Hemi's, 303 Olds and probably more I've forgot about. And maybe someday I'll build a Buick Nailhead and a 427 Ford Cammer and then . . . .

The point is that I have a love for engines - all sorts of them.

With that said, it is good he understands what this place is about and what it isn't. He now understands a bit better what fits and what does not.

Hopefully we have not chased him off and dampened his spirit to build a flathead . . . we need more flathead nuts!

B&S

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 01-16-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:51 PM   #26
GB SISSON

I will leave it up to my friends here on the barn to guess which side of the argument I fall into. I am very passionate about passing what we have learned onto the next generation of 'Flat Heads'. I work actively with 5 different young guys who want to learn The Old way of wrenchin'. Ages 11 to 33. Tomorrow I hold my first actual classroom where I will be tutoring the 11 year old in 'mechanics'. This will be a weekly session in the nearly completed 'Wooden Spoon Machine Shop'. Remember all those amazing WW2 vets we grew up around? We're next, and if we ONLY embrace 'ethnic purity' in our cars, that will effectively limit who will fill our shoes, and there ain't gonna be very many of ;em. GB
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 05:22 PM   #27
deuce_roadster

For information about flathead engines, this place is probably the best there is available. So if you have mechanical questions about Old Ford running gear ask away. You will get good advice with probably different ideas as we all do things differently.
As you noticed, if you want guidance on radical body mods or where to weld circular saw blades on the fenders---just don't ask.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:04 PM   #28
Ziggster

My pre-war speedster project would definitely not fit within the confines of this site, but I too chose to use a flathead (59A). Not even sure if it fits the HAMB rules, but still haven’t been kicked out. I’ve been on here and the HAMB almost 6 years, and have learned so much from both forums, and have always felt welcome. I surely wouldn’t have felt as inspired as I have if it were not for such great folks who always seem willing to offer advice.
Hoping he comes back.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:38 PM   #29
BoxCar Tom

If someone wants to build a flathead powered car who are we to say anything? If anything we should council him, the first thing to do is get clearance from his Cardiologist, his Psychoanalyst and his financial adviser and his wife. Not necessarily in that order.

Who knows, he may return, if he does he's probably a masochist. He should fit right in.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:39 PM   #30
OldGold360

Not a very warm welcome for Jim. Hopefully he will return and see that not all of us are going to berate him for what he wants to build. I would bet that a good majority of members here have an interest in hot rods as well and we should be better at welcoming new members that are not yet familiar with what FordBarn is “mostly” about. I say “mostly” because there are a lot of discussions here about adding modern transmissions, alternators, radial tires, etc. Nothing I’m interested in, certainly not correct, but I’m not going to criticize someone for wanting to go in this direction… at least not out loud. Joking aside, we should do better at welcoming new members despite what their initial interests appear to be. Let’s at least wait until we get to know them and they get to know us before we give them a hard time, just like old friends do to each other.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:38 PM   #31
Gotsmoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Hi Jim,

You can get help with the Flathead here but the major frame replacement stuff, not.

Rebuilding a flathead, once you are able to find a decent block is going to cost 5 to 6k currently. Many people go through 4 or 5 blocks before finding a good or repairable one.
Thanks, I'm learning that. It's like poker, pay just to get a seat at the table, pay more to learn you lost. I have read the truck blocks are sometimes a better bet due to upgraded cooling capacity.
Gotsmoke? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:44 PM   #32
Gotsmoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Thank you for the support. Though I must say I'm not young. I've been around 50 years now. I'm just young/new to flathead. The history, heritage and rarity deserve to be respected and protected. Ty again.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:52 PM   #33
Gotsmoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
For information about flathead engines, this place is probably the best there is available. So if you have mechanical questions about Old Ford running gear ask away. You will get good advice with probably different ideas as we all do things differently.
As you noticed, if you want guidance on radical body mods or where to weld circular saw blades on the fenders---just don't ask.
Lol, that made me laugh (saw blades). I read for a long time, and this is THE forum for flathead. I'm in the motor section for motor advice. My build is something that won't embarrass myself. I admire the ingenuity as much as detail such as paint marks and spark plug indexing. I see talent everywhere. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:53 PM   #34
Gotsmoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
I don't think there are any moderators. Don't let two people represent the whole forum. There are just some who are more vocal than others. There is good flathead info here. Stick around and ask questions. I gather you came here to ask questions on your engine, not your body or chassis. Plenty of members here who have flatheads in non Ford chassis and race bodies, etc. And Ford chassis and bodies with non Ford engines. Who cares as long as the questions and content are early Ford-related?

Thank you.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:04 PM   #35
Gotsmoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
""Haters"? That is just a bit harsh. My response was quite measured and intended to try to guide this guy down the right path. I have NO problem with modified cars (I have a couple myself), but "R** R***"?, no way. It seems like some of you would allow this forum to degenerate to the level of barbed wire grilles and coffee pot air cleaners just to ensure that some younger members are included no matter what they want. That's not what I am here for and I firmly believe that subjects this far removed from the mainstream old Ford hobby should have their own venue so as not to pollute what so many here have built over the years.

At this point, I will go so far as to say that as far as I am concerned, this guy would be a detriment to this forum and should go elsewhere. I see that he modified his original post and deleted the offensive terminology with no subsequent mention of it. To me, this smacks of dishonesty and I want no part of it.

I removed the terminology that you found offensive and replaced it with something more accurate after you rudely advised me of my fuax pas. It was not intended to be dishonest.
Old 01-19-2024, 01:24 AM   #36
51504bat

Gotsmoke glad you're still with us.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:59 AM   #37
aussie merc

got smoke hang around and ask the questions there are those who walk amongst us that are blinded by there own brilliance [so they think] most guys here are down to earth and willingly give there experience and opinions . And as for you high priests dont think there are to many 100 point completely blue oval cars left out there [12v alternators , boosted brakes , electric fans to start naming a few sins ]who knows we might even convert this one
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 08:49 AM   #38
glennpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotsmoke? View Post
Thanks, I'm learning that. It's like poker, pay just to get a seat at the table, pay more to learn you lost. I have read the truck blocks are sometimes a better bet due to upgraded cooling capacity.
Yes, on the gamble :-)

There were a number of cooling improvements made over the Flathead production years vanes in the water pumps, moving the valves, cooling port opening shapes, etc. For a new build get your block cleaned chemically to remove all the internal water passage scale then move the bare block around to get rid of all the old scale and casing sand. I had a bunch in my 59A block, most I removed from the water pump cavities. My Flathead actually cools too much and I have an adjustable rig to block some of the radiator off.

Take a look at this article, ""Flathead Engine Identification Version" that 38 coupe and I just resurrected:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=24

Glad you're still with us!

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:11 PM   #39
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
got smoke hang around and ask the questions there are those who walk amongst us that are blinded by there own brilliance [so they think]
LOVE IT, aussie merc!!!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:33 PM   #40
Bored&Stroked

Jim, glad you're with us and survived your first 'ante' at the Ford Barn poker table! LOL