Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
ersatz

Default ID this Carburetor ?

I was given this Ford carburetor and not sure what model it is. The only marking is on the choke linkage side (picture #1) as FORD in script and USA below it. No other markings present.

I am currently running a Chandler Grove 94 on my '46 pickup. This was given to me in 3 parts and minus the screws. Can this be used on my '46 truck, and where can I pick up some screws?

Last edited by ersatz; 01-11-2012 at 05:08 PM.
ersatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: ID this Carburetor ?

Looks like a 94. Ken/ct will likely have parts for it. Probably needs rebuilding.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

The middle section that has NO # on it is an 8BA or later type,top section is useable on any pre 49 pass car. The bottom section either came off a post 47 truck as it has the lever for a dash throttle. The whole carb was made up from diff yrs. And it an aftermarket one sold by western auto and the like. It wont work with out changeing some pcs. around and knowing which ones to change. Needs rebuilding and i have the screw sets.Its a basterdized carb at the least. ken ct. Nothing wrong with running the CG. does it say CG on the side its a late 38-39 carb FYI. ken ct
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
ersatz

Thanks for the info Jack & Ken! I should make it clear that the bastardized carburetor came to me in 3 pieces without screws for assembly. Not sure what to do with it right now, definitely thought about rebuilding it for a spare, but maybe using it as a core might be another possibility. Ken.......good to know where to obtain the screws. May be in touch soon. Thanks again!

My '46 truck runs just fine with the Chandler 94 which was rebuilt not too long ago.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

Is it a true CG.It must say so on the pass bowl side.If not its a CG type 94.IE a 91-99,21-29,59,these are what they call CG type but have the ford script on the pass side. The other one dosn't have much value as a core because of the diff parts to it. Would do as a core if you did it yourself and knew what to change on it. ken ct.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
1952henry

I think I've got one or two of these Ford carbs with no number on them. Good for parts. No value for restoring. Could make a nice matched set for a 2X2.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
ken ct
BANNED

Your right Owen, not much value,the ford #'s people wont buy them because there made for Sears,Western Auto.Made by Holley for these outlets.Ford would NOT let Holley put a ford # on them.Points are deducted for them at a National Ford Show.Good to carry in trunk for a break down spare.ken ct.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
ersatz

Yes, the carburetor I'm currently running on my '46 truck is definitely marked CHANDLER GROVES, etc.........on the float bowl and no other markings.

Regarding the bastardized carburetor, I guess I'll just keep it on hand for now. I do have a friend who is a mechanical whiz and can convert it for me, maybe sometime in the future. At least I got a complete rebuild kit along with it, so it's not a total loss........

Thanks again & your comments are much appreciated!