Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Drew

Default V8 Flathead to replace 4 cyl flathead

Hi,
I just purchased a '32 model b pickup, with it's original 4cyl flat head. If I were to purchase a flat head V8 what would I need to do to the chassis, drive train etc. to accomodate the new engine. Also if I wanted a later V8 flathead 1949 - 1953 does this present any additional problems?

Thanks in advance,
Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: V8 Flathead to replace 4 cyl flathead

I asked this same question maybe 6 years ago on the old Forfbarn for converting my '32 Model B PU from a 4 to FH V8. I saved all the responses so I will post them here for you to consider. I was planning to use a '35 FH engine and change as much as possible to make it look like this PU was an original '32 that came from the factory with a V8 engine. Maybe some of the guys will remember making these posts. If you do this conversion, what are your plans for that 4 cylinder engine? I may be interested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well John, you'll need to find a V8 radiator, V8 throttle linkage, 32-V8 engine stabilizer (anti chatter) rods,(They're different from all other V8 rods), a V8 transmission, or at at least a case for the 4 cyl's gears. You'll also need to find a V8 starter switch Those are just a few quick items, others will know of more I'm sure. On a personal note, I'd leave that sweet little 4 in it with gas prices what they are now days. Good luck. Dean
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other stuff for use with the 35 engine: Choke rod/knob, dash/engine wiring, battery cables, fuel/gauge line (V8 goes on LH side, 4 on RH side), front engine mount brackets, V8 fan (32 is peculiar), pair of long-neck pumps if you want it right... regarding the trans, everything inside and on it can go in/on a V8 case and bolt to the 35 engine. With all the right parts, the 35 engine would bolt in with no modifications. From Richard Lacy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Replace all hubcaps. The 4 cylinder hubcaps had an oval and the V8 caps had a V8.
2. Note that the mid to late Model B starter switch referenced in another post is actually the same as the V8 and can be used. If you have an early Model B with a pull cable starter switch you must remove the starter switch cable from the steering lock assemble and plug the hole.
3. Drill the headlight bar and install a V8 emblem (maybe you could epoxy a V8 emblem on so you could remove it later...
4. Remove the engine stabilizer assembly from the firewall. Ignore the extra holes in the cardboard firewall insulation cover or replace it. They make a nice fiberglass reproduction.
5. Remove the coil from the firewall (the V8 coil is different and attached to the distributor).
6. If your car has an 80 MPH speedometer replace it with a 90 MPH speedometer (late 4 bangers used the 90 MPH).
7. Replace the 4 banger engine splash pans with V8 engine splash pans.
8. Grit your teeth and accept the fact that the serial number of your vehicle starts with a B or an AB instead of 18
9. Replace the exhaust system forward of the muffler.
10. One more thing, be sure to check with your insurance company on your plans. At one time with one company going to the later 21 stud engine with the bolt on 1932 parts (this wouldn't increase the horsepower) was insurable at a very low rate but some of the other changes would bump it into a higher bracket It all depends on what you want to do with the car. Charlie Stephens

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
sturgis 39

Charlie

I like the changing of the hubcaps. LOL

Thanks

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Drew

Thanks, JM 35 Sedan! I just picked up the truck yesterday it came together so fast and I've been waiting like 20 years. So I'm just getting some thoughts together to figure on what to do. If I plan to go the V8 route, I will keep you posted on what I'm doing with the 4 cylinder engine.

Regards,
Drew
Old 01-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Kerk

32 -4 Cyl. to V-8. I will lookup my list as I did this with my 32 Tudor and wrote up the changes. I think there are 18 or maybe 19 Items to change. I went from showing the 32 -4 to a V 8 --36L.B enging which I then drove from Ma. to Oregon to the Hood river meet. Great trip & memories. Brenda wrote it up in V 8 Times.
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
62pan

Drew, Pm sent, I am interested in the B radiator if you decide to go thru with this swap. Ken
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Drew

Thanks Kerk,
Looking forward to see your list of changes.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
32B

Drew, where in NJ are you? I live just over the border in southern orange county.
32B is offline   Reply With Quote