Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
peewee2you

Default Four Blade Fan

Recently cleaned up and painted fan, upon clean up noticed in yellow a stamp on one of the blades, that read to the type of SAE ? oil I'm thinking on it, I couldn't make it out to well, but I think it said 30wt or 20wt. Can anyone tell me what type of lubrication they use, there is a screw between the pulley and the fan blade I am guessing that's where you add fluid. So, if you can tell me what wether it's oil or grease? and how much.

This fan is for a 47Ford 59AB engine.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Four Blade Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee2you View Post
Recently cleaned up and painted fan, upon clean up noticed in yellow a stamp on one of the blades, that read to the type of SAE ? oil I'm thinking on it, I couldn't make it out to well, but I think it said 30wt or 20wt. Can anyone tell me what type of lubrication they use, there is a screw between the pulley and the fan blade I am guessing that's where you add fluid. So, if you can tell me what wether it's oil or grease? and how much.

This fan is for a 47Ford 59AB engine.
I do believe that's the oil that goes in the oil hole to lube it. 30 wt.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
42guy

I think if you check the Ford service bulletins they say to use 90 wt. gear oil.That is what I use.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The SBs did change the SAE viscosity. I guess it was due to complaints of seepage. You would want to fill it when it's warm. It would take a while to fill with the thick stuff in the colder months.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Walt Dupont--Me.

What they used to do is when they changed the oil was take out the plug and pull the dip stick out and hold it over the hole and let a few drops go in. You don't really fill the hub full of oil, you can fill the hub and then turn the fan so the hole is on the bottom and let it run out, then put the plug back in. After that a few drops every 1000 miles if fine. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
peewee2you

42guy, when I read the markings on the fan blade, I believe it truly was a 2 or a 3 meaning most likely 30wt. 90w is very thick and heavy and although that works for you, it most likely wasn't 90, when you think about it though it would seap thru the housing as easily.

Walt, I thinking you are correct, that probably just more than a few drops of 30wt. were used. I only asked the question because I sanded the fan up then scrubed and rinsed if any paint residue and grease and I did not take it completely apart and rinsed it and that's when I flipped it over to dry and the mounting bracket the oil leaked out all over because the soapy water had thinned it. "Dawn" is good stuff along with simple green.

I blew it dry with compressor and then let it drain a few days, and although it's spins nice and feely, I want to add a few drops to be sure that under the rpm's when the motor is spinnging nothing seizes or burns.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
peewee2you

42guy, I meant it would not seap thru as easily, which would be a good thing, so keep doin what your doin if it's working. you know if ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
40 Deluxe

Now that you've gotten soap and water in the hub bearings you may want to take it apart to get the soap and water out-not a good lubricant! The plug opening includes a "standpipe" or tube. First fill the hub with oil (either with it on the engine or clamped in a vise in the same position), then with the plug out rotate the hub so the plug opening is on the bottom. The oil will drain down to the level of the standpipe and be at the correct level in the hub. Don't just "add a few drops".
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Gaskets and journal parts are available for these if you ever want to take it appart and give it a thorough cleaning in the solvent tank.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote