Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
jfcrash

Default 35 Mechanical Brake Adjustment Help

Can we revisit in sequence / step-by-step procedure for adjusting the mechanical brakes for a 1935 Ford?

Last fall I put the 35 Phaeton on the road for my first time, brakes were adjusted using the Model A method and wooden step gauge (I believe at the time this method was discussed here in our V8 forum… so I followed it). The brakes did not stop the car with any urgency and the left front wheel would lock up and pull sharply to the left…. then winter came.

Back ground- I have new: brake rods, adjusting clevis's and pins, relined woven brake shoes, brakes shoe adj links, brake shoe rollers and Ted's equalizer kit using only one new brake shoe retaining spring per wheel, ... drums are orig. but not turned down... Don't know if it matters, but at all lubrication points during assembly I used the silver never seize lubricant.

Now using the Brake Adjustment Instructions found in the ‘32-36 Engine & Chassis Repair Manual’ (V-13) pg 47:

Step one - 4 wheels are off the ground, release hand brake – OK,

Step two –Disconnect pull rods from their operating levers- OK,

Now I need your input- it says to turn the brake shoe adjusting screw in tight and then back off just enough to allow the wheels to turn… a couple of my wheels can still turn easily even before I back off the adjusting screw?? Where do I go from here and what should I watch out for??

Have not gotten to step 3 & 4.. any heads up here?

All guidance or better method will be appreciated, Thank You, Jim

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Brendan

Default Re: 35 Mechanical Brake Adjustment Help

so did you drive your car? I try to get the wheals to turn with the same drag. also there is some thing in there about pulling the parking brake to the first click and after you adjust the brake shoes you need to adjust the brake rods I think it says after you take up the slack on the lever on the backing plate you needs something of a 32" of an inch difference. I have to reed it every time I adjust my brakes

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

What about the condition of the brake cross shaft/equalizer? If there is any slop in the bushings, you will not be able to adjust those brakes properly. Also, if you have the shoe adjustment, at top of backing plates, turned in as far as they will go, and the wheel still turns, you have a problem right there that you need to correct. I have never used Ted's floaters and don't know how they work, but I do have another brand of floaters on my Avatar 35 fordor. Those brakes work as good, if not better, than most '39-'48 Fords that I have driven. Keep working on what you have there. You should be able to skid the tires on hard braking when the system is right and properly adjusted.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
jfcrash

John,
The brake cross shaft has new bushings and does not have any play in it as far as I can tell. I did read someplace here that a 'nail' can be placed between the brake shoe and the slot on the brake shoe adjusting link to 'shim' out the brake shoes, which I might try.

Brendan,
The proccedure I referenced does not mention moving the emergency brake except to the fully released position.

Jim

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 AM   #5
Terry,OH

Using the original style adjusters (the ones the procedure is written for) when you turn the adjuster in the brakes should lock and there is no way you could turn the drum by hand! So follow Ted's procedure for adjusting and lock the wheels with the adjuster.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
Ken Arms

I agree with Jim, I would think with all links off all 4 wheels, you should be able to lock all 4 up with the adjusters, if you can't then fix that first. maybe drums are too thin, part on the shoes that contacts wedge worn etc. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:52 PM   #7
AW3000

I know this thread is really old, but did JFCrash come up with a solution? I'm encountering the exact same condition.
AW3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:12 AM   #8
Terry,OH

If you lock up the each wheels brakes with the adjuster and then re-adjust for a slight drag each wheel should have APPROXIMATELY the same amount of re-adjustment which will tell you that things are working correctly to that point of the instructions. If the adjuster can not lock up the brakes it's best to stop and reinspect and go over Ted's instructions for installation.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:10 PM   #9
DavidG

And once all four wheels have roughly the same slight drag, the rods may require readjustment to ensure none of them have any free play.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 05:42 PM   #10
BobR35

I jack the front axle and adjust each wheel individually, tight then back off til slight drag and then do the rear axle the same. I drive my '35 regularly and it stops as good as I think it will ever do so. I read the instructions way back when but it's too technical for me, I like to keep it simple....
BobR35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:59 AM   #11
Elkhorn

I am having a similar problem with the left front locking up..Wham...when the brakes are cold. I have had apart and flipped shoes, checked that everything moves freely etc. to no avail.
Any suggestions?
Elkhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:46 PM   #12
ScubaChief60

I know it was not your question... but... 33 years ago, my old dad... a tough WW2 vet told in this... 'you replace those mechanical with hydraulic or your gonna bust your @$$'.

Then about two years back... a Vietnam Vet Marine who helped me with my V8 rebuild actually said the same thing... 'you replace those mechanical with hydraulic or your gonna bust your @$$'. I guess he wondered why I laughed out loud.

I did just that... weren't cheap but excellent brakes now!

My two cents.

I understand Buick went to hydraulics in maybe 1936... and Ford in 1939... and me in 2023

Take care!
ScubaChief60 is offline   Reply With Quote