Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
39deluxecp

Default 1955 T-Bird early(1954) VIN231 progress?

this is some of what I have been doing during the winter. way more work than i needed, but may be worth it in the end. this is my 1955 T-Bird. the floors and trunk floor was gone when bought it, as were the inner and outer rockers, rear quarters(lower). about $1,500.00 worth of new panels, and a lot of home-made fill-ins latr. pretty close to undrcoating the outside floors, and putting the body back on the frame. I sure love that rottiserie!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0056.jpg (69.3 KB, 39 views)
39deluxecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 1955 T-Bird early(1954) VIN231 progress?

My '55 Courier was almost that bad when I got it in 1996. Passenger area floors were gone. Inner and outer rockers were gone and a portion of the floor support structure at the outer corners were gone on all but the last two.
Had to cut the bottom portion of the outer rear quarters off on both sides to. Inner rear quarters were salvageable, but had to create my own repair patches for them.
I made my own inner rockers, floor support corners, both floor sections behind the seat. The only things I bought were both front floor sections, front floor risers, outer rockers and lower outer rear quarters.
I had the entire car body dunked in a chemical that strips the metal bare before cutting, flanging and welding. Prior to welding, I painted the hidden side of all new metal panels with primer and overcoat. After all the floor and rocker sealing was done, I just painted the whole car inside, outside and underneath as the factory did, but certainly covered all the hidden areas better than the factory paint job. It is still in good shape in all the areas you would expect rust to form and the car is used for daily service. Lot of work but well pleased with the finished product.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: 1955 T-Bird early(1954) VIN231 progress?

Awesome!

Let us know how it all goes for you, we all learn good tips when guys like you post pictures, videos, and explanations of how you handle various projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39deluxecp View Post
this is some of what I have been doing during the winter. way more work than i needed, but may be worth it in the end. this is my 1955 T-Bird. the floors and trunk floor was gone when bought it, as were the inner and outer rockers, rear quarters(lower). about $1,500.00 worth of new panels, and a lot of home-made fill-ins latr. pretty close to undrcoating the outside floors, and putting the body back on the frame. I sure love that rottiserie!!