Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
48thames

Default ca blue vin plate question.

I tried to get my A put in my name at AAA today and got to go to CHP to get a vin verification done, because AAA needs to see the vin numbers in 2 different spots. My car came with a AZ title, but must have been titled in CA before, because it has a CA blue DMV vin sticker on the door jam. My question is, do they use 2 stickers and if so, where might I find the other one at?
Thanks.
48thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
PC/SR

Default Re: ca blue vin plate question.

Take it to the CHP and ask them for what they need. I am assuming the blue DMV sticker you mention was probably added by the CHP at some time and will hopefully satisfy them as to the authenticity of the number. Otherwise you have lift the body to get the original number from the frame and show CHP the number. I know it is hard to believe but it is probably easier and quicker to go through the CHP and DMV than AAA because AAA is not set up to deal with the old car registration rules and exceptions.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

I had a sticker added to my door jam in California in about 1970. The CHP also put one on the frame. Crawl around under the car a little.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Ron in Quincy

It is my understanding that CHP or DMV only place one VIN sticker on the A, either the door jam or the small area on the top of the frame when the hood is open.

This is really a good deal as the engine can be changed without the need to correct the VIN number or registration on the A.

I do know that dating back to at least the early 40's California DMV had a law, if a engine was changed on a Ford and the registration VIN was the engine number it required the owner to visit DMV and correct the registration. I changed the engine in my 28 Roadster when in high school and visited DMV to correct the registration.

I would suggest, when dealing with the CHP or DMV in California, to not mention anything about a frame number. In actuality the only reason a restorer is interested in the frame number is to determine if the engine was the one installed on the assembly line3.

A local man, this week, had the CHP come out and verify the engine number on his A as the VIN, the CHP filled out and signed the DMV form, the man went to DMV and completed the registration and got his new plates. There was no mention of frame number to either the CHP or DMV.

He also had the temporary red sticker given to him by DMV prior to the verification.

Do not open the can of worms !!!!!

Ron

Last edited by Ron in Quincy; 08-22-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Additional information
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
48thames

Thanks for the replies. I am starting to get worried about this. AAA did issue me a temporary red sticker to put in the window and give me insurance, so I can drive it for now. I will look around for the one on the frame, but if I can't find any, then I think that I might have a major problem.
The car doesn't have the original engine. Maybe that's why it had a blue sticker riveted on.
Thanks.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Ron in Quincy

48thames,

Please read my post,

thanks,

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #7
Model A Man

my wife registered her model a at AAA about 4 years ago when we lived in CA and they only went off the motor #. I registered my 31 coupe and it had the CA blue tag on the door jam and that is all AAA needed. we have since moved to Oregon and the same here, they went off the motor number on 2 model A's and a 30 Chrysler and my 31 coupe they went off the CA blue tag.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

If "they" mention the # on the frame, UNDER the body, just say, "It's probably rusted away, after 83 years"!
At the DMV window, it always helps me If I have a nice pic of the car & wear a Model A shirt or hat, & I also LIMP, with a GRIMACE of PAIN! I don't "think" they allow Dogs there??
Also, if they have an old guy workin' a window, request HIM! If it's a cute gal, tell her she looks like your DAUGHTER!
Bill W.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #9
48thames

AAA told me that because it is a out of state title is the reason that I have to go to chp for a vin verification if I couldn't show them 2 places with vin on the car. I thought I had it made with the car having the ca blue sticker.
She said no, because it left the state, got a AZ title and then came back.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
48thames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
It is my understanding that CHP or DMV only place one VIN sticker on the A, either the door jam or the small area on the top of the frame when the hood is open.

This is really a good deal as the engine can be changed without the need to correct the VIN number or registration on the A.

I do know that dating back to at least the early 40's California DMV had a law, if a engine was changed on a Ford and the registration VIN was the engine number it required the owner to visit DMV and correct the registration. I changed the engine in my 28 Roadster when in high school and visited DMV to correct the registration.

I would suggest, when dealing with the CHP or DMV in California, to not mention anything about a frame number. In actuality the only reason a restorer is interested in the frame number is to determine if the engine was the one installed on the assembly line3.

A local man, this week, had the CHP come out and verify the engine number on his A as the VIN, the CHP filled out and signed the DMV form, the man went to DMV and completed the registration and got his new plates. There was no mention of frame number to either the CHP or DMV.

He also had the temporary red sticker given to him by DMV prior to the verification.

Do not open the can of worms !!!!!

Ron
I wonder which is the easier of the 2, DMV or CHP
Old 08-23-2014, 01:13 AM   #11
Dodge

This secondary I.D. numberthing is a fairly new thing with DMV. And mostly applies to newer cars. Every once in a while they get a hair up their ass about something and this
is the latest.
The CHP should be able to look up your CA tag number as they make a file with all the info
about the car in it whether it went out of California or not. The file could have your frame number in it, but once a CA tag is made up that is your new I.D. number.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #12
Chris Haynes

If it were me I would completely remove the blue tag. Then do the work involved to display the frame number and register it correctly.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:51 AM   #13
jmeckel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
If it were me I would completely remove the blue tag. Then do the work involved to display the frame number and register it correctly.
Never knowingly remove a VIN tag or number, it is a crime in any State. I would bet they have a record of when they issued it. Go talk to your DMV / Highway Patrol, it may be very easy, do not assume the worst until it arrives.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #14
Joe K

Quote:
If "they" mention the # on the frame, UNDER the body, just say, "It's probably rusted away, after 83 years"!
At the DMV window, it always helps me If I have a nice pic of the car & wear a Model A shirt or hat, & I also LIMP, with a GRIMACE of PAIN! I don't "think" they allow Dogs there??
Also, if they have an old guy workin' a window, request HIM! If it's a cute gal, tell her she looks like your DAUGHTER!
Bill W.

Have the picture framed - like you just took it off your piano to bring it to the DMV. And wear a baseball cap with POW/MIA logo on it.

Not to denigrate the POW/MIA situation - or those that support a worthy cause.

But you're trying to meet an expectation on the part of a DMV clerk.

And you could ask them to hurry up because your dog is in the car?

Maybe pushing it a little...

Joe K
Old 08-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
mot

check with your local clubs
there are Vin Verifiers out there
you pay them a fee and they come to your house inspect the car and they do all the paperwork
last year we got three cars vin verified
one was from Arizona with just a bill of sale
took her about 1/2 hr for all three vehicles
in about three weeks we had the titles in hand
she was retired from the DMV
everything was above board and legal
we also are in california
sooo easy
tom
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #16
mot

I should have looked first
just go to google and type in vin verifier and what ever city is close to you
pick one close to you, theres lots in So Cal
check around for prices ive seen them charge from $50 to $300
you usually pay milage for them to come to your place
remember ,its legal
just have all your paperwork ready

tom
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #17
Jerry in Shasta

If I'm not mistaken the vehicle code says any California peace officer can verify a vin.

When I was working I verified many old cars, only for restorers I trusted and local club members, did not do any modern iron. The CHPIES did not like it, they did not think the local lawmen could not verify a Model "A" correctly.

But maybe the law has changed the last few years.

Chp likes to give the impression that they are the only ones with the training to do it, and catch fraudulent Model "A" vin's.

Just my W A G at the problem
Jerry in Shasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post

Have the picture framed - like you just took it off your piano to bring it to the DMV. And wear a baseball cap with POW/MIA logo on it.

Not to denigrate the POW/MIA situation - or those that support a worthy cause.

But you're trying to meet an expectation on the part of a DMV clerk.

And you could ask them to hurry up because your dog is in the car?

Maybe pushing it a little...

Joe K
Seriously, DMV problems are often "clouded" & sometimes open to interpretation. I have 2 friends that "gave up" & went home, to return at a later date at a different DMV office & a different person & got it registered with NO problems !
Minerva was an Early '30- 45-B, assembled in San Francisco & her L/F fender had a tasteful cutaway in the rear edge, above the frame, & the frame #, complete with stars, stamped there. I DOUBT that it was FACTORY done??
Has anyone ever tried to cut an access hole in the sub-rail, to try to see the frame number?
Bill W.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #19
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
my wife registered her model a at AAA about 4 years ago when we lived in CA and they only went off the motor #.
Just registered mine at AAA and it was the same way. I had to pay extra to transfer the CA Date of Manufacture plates to my name tho. Got my '30 Town Sedan registered 'til OCT 2015 and insured all in one visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48thames View Post
AAA told me that because it is a out of state title is the reason that I have to go to chp for a vin verification if I couldn't show them 2 places with vin on the car. I thought I had it made with the car having the ca blue sticker.
She said no, because it left the state, got a AZ title and then came back.
What a hassle. I hate dealing with the DMV for anything like this.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
1930artdeco

When I registered my car from Or., they asked for a VIN number. I told them that the car did not come with one and they used the engine #. But that OR. gave the car a VIN number and that is posted in the door jamb. I DID NOT mention a frame number. She looked the car over and said ok. But I think she was overwhelmed and was not sure what to look for. Got it done in one visit. Maybe I got lucky?

Mike
Old 08-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #21
48thames

Well, here is what I ended up doing. They gave me 3 choices, go to dmv, go to chp or go to a vin verifier.
I looked on the internet for someone local who was licensed to verify vins and went that route. It cost me 30.00 to have it done and went back to aaa and got my plates.
Now my problem is, in good old California you have to run with 2 plates and I have to figure out where to mount the front plate.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #22
1931 flamingo

Simple....................put them where they were originally..............

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #23
a-bone newby

just got new vin installed to reg my a as no prod # visible in bc canada
a-bone newby is offline   Reply With Quote