Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2017, 11:23 PM   #21
updraught

Default Re: Sensible packaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
flat rates dont go international
This sort of thing. A medium or large you get 20 pounds.

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator...dz=8%3A29&m=12
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #22
captndan

I have never had a shipping problem with Bert's.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #23
mike657894

I didnt know. but those flat rates are outrageous 35 to ship a dvd. 100 for a box. thats just nuts.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #24
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
I didnt know. but those flat rates are outrageous 35 to ship a dvd. 100 for a box. thats just nuts.
That's what we have been complaining about long and hard for years! It's even worse when you consider those prices are US dollars. Add 30% for for the exchange rate etc.
A couple of days ago, I saw an advertisement for a return flight East coast Australia to LA for $A849. How do they justify shipping rates like that when a person can travel there AND BACK for $849 (That's about $US650). Is that a rip off I can smell???

Last edited by Synchro909; 07-24-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #25
Mad Mac

Hi again,
I thought I would round this thread off by showing you Bratton's response to my concerns (we exchanged pms about it). Their answer is as folllows:

"It looks like the reason the shipping was so expensive was because at check out Fed Ex International Economy was selected as the shipping method. You are right we could have put these parts in a flat rate box in the USPS, but since Fed-Ex was selected that is the way the order was sent. I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding but the order was shipped as specified. We don't question the shipping methods when the order is placed on-line because we do have many customer request the Fed-Ex Shipping".

I conclude from this that the problem arose mainly from my lack of understanding of the various shipping options available in the US. Apparently if I had nominated a flat rate in the USPS the package would have been smaller and presumably a lot cheaper. So I apologise to Brattons if I have caused them any adverse publicity. Nevertheless I am still mystified as to why such a small object was packed in such a large cardboard box.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #26
pooch

So how come they make ithe package smaller for flat rat and do not bother for fedex?

Obviously they do not bother with overseas customers either.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #27
updraught

Don't remember being given any control of shipping. I have no interest in Fed Ex.

Anyways, moving along... Looking at USPS standard international rates yesterday, the only thing that seemed to make a difference is weight, not the size.

I just shipped 5 tubes for $US100. Tubes are radial type $US46 each.
About $A84 each tube all up landed. That's after free shipping in the US with Jegs.
Hot rodding looks cheap.

PS. That was a 12.5x12.5x12.5 inch box 18 pounds from Shipito Minden.
Options were (Minden to Aus):
Auspost $US89.55
DHL $US133.35
USPS Express $US256.89
Fedex priority $US106.27
Insurance was extra $4 for Auspost and a few dollars charges from Shipito.
Coker uses FedEx I think, but Shipito just gives me more shipping options.

Last edited by updraught; 07-26-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #28
denniskliesen

Mike V. that depends on what's in the box. I have learned from experience to never order anything liquid from a vendor. I buy from local. Too many times the shipper could not deliver because a bottle of something burst or got opened from other parts flying around inside the poorly oversized box. Same with anything heavy mixed with light delicate parts. Too big of a box and everything flying around in there. This has happened with 2 vendors in the past either shipper could not deliver due to damage or delivered with damaged contents. Lately I've tried to order from Bert's because he has been doing a great job packing my orders.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #29
Will N

I am sure that how Brattons packs its items for shipping comes from experience and out of a desire to ensure that that the merchandise reaches the buyer in undamaged condition. Jamming lots of things in a small box cuts down on the padding that can be included in the packaging, and increases the possibility of damage.

What you folks in NZ and Australia need is for someone down there to set up a local Model A parts company!
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

I recieved a TINY battery for my Jitterbug Phone, came in a 10 X 12" box!!!!!
BUT remember, TINY BOXES WOULD BE LOST IN SHIPPING!!!---There IS a method to their MADNESS!
Bill Hello
Old 07-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #31
1928Mik

What has happened is that Amazon has ruined it for everyone. They have standardized box sizes, and they just grab what they think will work and stuff the item and then that large pillow-like bubble wrap inside to take up space. FedEx and UPS realized the were shipping alot of 'air' & had to go to 'dimensional weight' which means they charge for the dimensions of the carton. By UPS, you have to enter the weight and now the dimensions. If the dimensions are larger for a lighter item, it will automatically charge you for a 28lb carton. Now almost all shipping companies use dim weights at some level, thus the increase domestically and across the pond. Many shippers just grab a larger box they have in stock and pack it, and you pay for it.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #32
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
That's what we have been complaining about long and hard for years! It's even worse when you consider those prices are US dollars. Add 30% for for the exchange rate etc.
A couple of days ago, I saw an advertisement for a return flight East coast Australia to LA for $A849. How do they justify shipping rates like that when a person can travel there AND BACK for $849 (That's about $US650). Is that a rip off I can smell???
I wonder how much of that trip has freight on it? So your less expensive ticket is covered by the higher shipping rate on the package under your seat...???
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #33
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
I have just bought a few small parts from Brattons. The quoted cost in Bratton's catalog was $US19.85. They were such small things (gaskets, screws, seals etc) that they would almost have fit into a cigarette packet. But Brattons packed them in a cardboard box measuring 10 x 12 x 8 inches. This resulted in a shipping cost of $US44.20, effectively tripling the net quoted cost to $US64.05. Do Brattons have shares in a shipping company?

Why does stuff like this get brought up here? Have you called Brattons to speak with Jeff first to let him know of your/this issue? Until you have given him a chance to share his side of the story with you and giving him the chance to work to make you happy, then making public accusations about improper business ethics is just plain wrong in my view!

Then when you read down thru the thread responses from folks giving advise, some of it is not even close to being factual based on what I know personally in talking about this subject with these vendors, dealing with shipping companies, ...and from what I know about the subject in my own shipping department.

Third, I don't know how y'all do math down in New Zealand, but going from $19.85 up to $44.20 is not tripling the price --which was nothing more than a hypothetical guess in the catalog. Second point to this is, if you were so concerned about how much the exact shipping charge would be, why didn't YOU request an exact total price from them before you authorized them to ship? Do you not feel you share any responsibility in this??

Please understand that those folks are human, and they are doing the best they can at providing a good quality part, delivering it with great service, all at the best price they can. Contrary to what some may think, these companies are sending out truck loads of boxes each and every day. Rarely do you ever hear of the amount of packages that get there quickly and correctly every day, but when you factor in the amount of things they do correctly, it FAR outweighs any small percentage of wrongs. Please reconsider your position here and work with the vendor to learn their side before you blast them and make unfounded allegations that does more harm than good for the hobby.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #34
Mad Mac

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;1505200]Why does stuff like this get brought up here? Have you called Brattons to speak with Jeff first to let him know of your/this issue?]

A phone call to the US would have further increased my costs. A related email request (to change my postal address) was made to Brattons, without them responding or taking any notice of it.

Third, I don't know how y'all do math down in New Zealand, but going from $19.85 up to $44.20 is not tripling the price --which was nothing more than a hypothetical guess in the catalog.

The total cost to me increased from $US19.85 to $US64.05, without allowing for the exchange rate which further increased it to $NZ91.40. If I used this quadrupling of the catalog price as a guide to future purchases I would never buy anything from them again. However I accept that for larger items the factor would probably be less than 4 X.

Second point to this is, if you were so concerned about how much the exact shipping charge would be, why didn't YOU request an exact total price from them before you authorized them to ship?

It was such a small purchase, at such a small catalog price, I didn't consider it necessary to query the shipping cost. I never imagined it would balloon out like that. I will probably deal with them again, but will be very careful about shipping

Do you not feel you share any responsibility in this??

Yes, a little, which is why I apologised (see my post #25 above).

Please reconsider your position here and work with the vendor to learn their side before you blast them and make unfounded allegations that does more harm than good for the hobby.

My "allegations" were not unfounded - I stand by my original assertion that an enormous and unwarranted shipping cost ruined what should have been a pleasant experience. I firmly believe that it is in Brattons own best interests to improve their shipping arrangements with overseas customers. That can only be "good for the hobby" at least outside the US.

Last edited by Mad Mac; 07-27-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #35
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
I am sure that how Brattons packs its items for shipping comes from experience and out of a desire to ensure that that the merchandise reaches the buyer in undamaged condition. Jamming lots of things in a small box cuts down on the padding that can be included in the packaging, and increases the possibility of damage.

What you folks in NZ and Australia need is for someone down there to set up a local Model A parts company!
It has been done years ago. The US dealers have lost a large chunk of potential buyers from this part of the world because of their absurd freight costs.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #36
Mad Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
It has been done years ago. The US dealers have lost a large chunk of potential buyers from this part of the world because of their absurd freight costs.
Yes, we have one or two suppliers of Model A parts here in NZ, but I was hoping to "avoid the middleman" by dealing directly with a US supplier. I was obviously wrong.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #37
Redtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Mik View Post
What has happened is that Amazon has ruined it for everyone.
Makes sense but why can Amazon ship for so cheap then? I get boxes from them shipped 2nd day air for free and the same size and weight from a vendor is 40 bucks. Does Amazon get a special rate?
Redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #38
updraught

Shipping overseas is not the same as shipping domestically.

You need to start with the box size to fit the largest item (my case, clutch plate, I already have one from another supplier, you know the story). Usually, this box is a flat rate medium box for best value. You then know the shipping price.

Then look at the maximum weight for that box.
Then try to stuff as much in it that you might need now or in the future like spare spark plugs etc. without going over the weight limit.

This "may" then be economic. Most parts I've seen from Bratton's have very little packaging. The problem is when the unexpected happens ...

I like the Rockauto system. I can mix and match what I buy at checkout to fit the box. It is immediately obvious when a bigger box is called for as the price jumps considerably.

I find that free local shipping usually makes for smaller packages and reduces the "unknown".
Old 07-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #39
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
Makes sense but why can Amazon ship for so cheap then? I get boxes from them shipped 2nd day air for free and the same size and weight from a vendor is 40 bucks. Does Amazon get a special rate?
Absolutely. Anything purchased or sold in quantity gets a favorable rate. All of the carriers are wanting more business, and their sales team is cutting deals.

'Mac', fortunately for us that are dealers (who have paid a substantial sum to have that privilege) we appreciate these Model-A manufacturers/suppliers who don't undercut us by selling at a wholesale price thus cutting out us as "middlemen". You really should consider supporting those two NZ dealers with your purchases which will likely allow them to grow & prosper.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #40
updraught

A few weeks ago I sent the local vintage tyre supplier an email about radial tubes (mentioned above) with the Coker order number.
They replied that they had them in stock and they are $A40 each. I queried this and never got a reply.
I found it a bit hard to believe that a tube in the US that sells for $US46 could sell for $A40 here. Maybe I've missed something.