Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Test Osterone

Default Another "What's It Worth" Thread

'32 B Pick-Up.

And, before I ask the question: "What's It Worth" please allow me to give you some information on this pick-up.

It has been in covered storage prior to and since 1971. The original 4 cylinder engine is long gone and is replaced by a 1937, 60/V-8. Engine has been rebuilt with all NOS parts and was done so about 20 or more years ago and never ran (have lots of NOS parts, spare distributor, etc). The engine has always been stored in a climate controlled garage space. Radiator is going to need work as it has been reworked to cool that '37 V-8.

All the sheet metal is in good condition. Door bottoms are solid, running boards are solid, PU bed is solid as is the tail gate (IIRC). Front fenders are in good shape with a little tearing where the head lamp assembly attaches and I think there are some tears where the front fender support attached to the lip of th e fender. Rear fenders both have had work done to them and also have some tears in them. The only spot where there is swiss cheese is on the cab just behind the gas tank and as I recall, about the size of a dollar bill. BTW, gas tank looks to be in solid condition as well. Grill shell is in nice shape but there is evidence of repair to several of the fins of which all are present. Engine cowl is in great shape as well.

Glass all "appears" to be period correct and the rear window has a small crack and all the hardware for the front windshield is there. Steering wheel is in fair shape and all original gauges are still in the dash. Original floor boards are long gone.

As for the frame, there is some reinforcement above the rear axle on one side (passenger) but the remainder of the frame appears to be fine. All mechanical brake parts are there and the wheel drums look to be serviceable. Of course, the shocks are toast but at least, are with the truck. Transmission, torque tube, and rear axle are all intact and as I recall, the transmission shifting was good but there was some clutch chatter as I drove the local roads in Tacoma, WA till the brakes took a couple of years off my tender age at that time of 20.

Front bumper is in okay shape and has one crack where it attaches to the bumper frame (passenger side). The rear bumpers are "MIA" if they ever existed. The single tail light is in good condition with what "appears" to be the original lens and frame.

What other information will you fellows require to assess the value of this rig? Happy to give further descriptions or detailed pictures.

My FIL bought this truck from a guy in Gig Harbor, WA in '71. He sold it to me in 1973 or there about. As mentioned above, it ran at that time, but today, it has been disassemble somewhat and could easily be returned to a roller. Have 5 wire wheels with the hub caps along with 5 "new" tires and tubes. Note the tires were bought over 20 years ago and never installed.........

Appreciate your help in assessing the value of this truck. Please add some dollars for the sentimentality factor too.

Thanks for reading and looking at the pictures.

Best,

Test.

Test Osterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Another "What's It Worth" Thread

I dunno but I'd love to get that back to Chez Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
2935ford

Test Osterone.....I picked mine up in similar condition as yours for 10K (it was a running, good condition Model A Tudor trade valued at that amount).
Your box looks like it has been shortened?
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
jimTN

Sorry to say it is worth more to a butcher rodder than an original Ford person. The bed would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 3K plus to replace. There are a lot of good parts there and good sheet metal but a lot of work to make a restored PU. As a driver with the 60 it would be a lot more desirable like it is cleaned up with brake floaters new wiring, shocks and necessary items to make it safe and roadworthy.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Does the weather vain go with it?

Just kidding, do you have the seats or seat frames for it. Shorten bed or not it could be a nice runner when put back together, with that said I think 10K might be on the strong side in todays economy and the amount of work required to bring it back.

With the 60HP engine and some updates it could be a real nice mild traditional hot rod, guess I'm that "butcher rodder", but if you're selling it what do you care, right. Just my .02¢.

Last edited by done4; 11-27-2012 at 10:32 AM.
done4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
34pickup

Man, that truck is sweeeeet! I wish mine were in such good condition when I got it.I think if you put it back to a roller it would bring 10-15 k in the market. I know if you put it back together and got it running it would bring at least that. A lot depends upon where you sell it. People will pay more in some areas of the country than others. Check "completed listings" on ebay to see what similar trucks got bit up to.
Man, I'd love that one. You might regret selling it.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Test Osterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I dunno but I'd love to get that back to Chez Mart.
Thanks for stopping by, Mart.

Spent some time on your long thread and enjoyed the documentation you have completed. Suspect that I will be spending more time reading about your efforts to get the car back on the road. A fun read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
Test Osterone.....I picked mine up in similar condition as yours for 10K (it was a running, good condition Model A Tudor trade valued at that amount).
Your box looks like it has been shortened?
Thanks for your contribution, 2935ford.

Not a clue about the box being shortened. Would you have the OE dimensions for the box? Also, if the box was altered, that would mean the frame was altered as well? Will be back at the storage location this week and will take a closer look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Sorry to say it is worth more to a butcher rodder than an original Ford person. The bed would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 3K plus to replace. There are a lot of good parts there and good sheet metal but a lot of work to make a restored PU. As a driver with the 60 it would be a lot more desirable like it is cleaned up with brake floaters new wiring, shocks and necessary items to make it safe and roadworthy.
Hi there, jimTN.

I've looked at the "rat rod" (butcher rodder?) builds and many are very well done, which leaves some others that were, well, can we just agree that we all have different ideas of cool? Have never seen a nicely restored '32 Pickup. Of course, have seen them with 283/327 engines, etc. If the car does stay in my collection, pretty sure it will be of "driver" status perhaps with a local utility service truck theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by done4 View Post
Does the weather vain go with it?

Just kidding, do you have the seats or seat frames for it. Shorten bed or not it could be a nice runner when put back together, with that said I think 10K might be on the strong side in todays economy and the amount of work required to bring it back.

With the 60HP engine and some updates it could be a real nice mild traditional hot rod, guess I'm that "butcher rodder", but if you're selling it what do you care, right. Just my .02¢.
Thanks for your time and effort to post, done4.

That weather vane came off the horse barn where my wife grew up and her father made it. So, that would be a point to discuss down the road.

Yes, the seat frames are in reasonable condition. A bench platform for the bottom and individual seat backs (or, maybe I have that backwards, it's been a long time since I spent any time on this project.) I overlooked that in my original description. I also overlooked talking about the head light buckets and the OE head light lens are all in great shape.

Will need to spend some time at your thread to see what you have created from the original Ford iron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
Man, that truck is sweeeeet! I wish mine were in such good condition when I got it.I think if you put it back to a roller it would bring 10-15 k in the market. I know if you put it back together and got it running it would bring at least that. A lot depends upon where you sell it. People will pay more in some areas of the country than others. Check "completed listings" on ebay to see what similar trucks got bit up to.
Man, I'd love that one. You might regret selling it.
34pickup, appreciate what you have to say.

I've contemplated getting this rig back on the road for many, many years. A project that was (maybe still is) being saved for my retirement years. So, this one always seems to take a back seat to the other projects on hand. Wife has suggested that I sell the pickup because she can never see herself riding in it. Who said I would even offer a ride in it........ And, I will never suggest that she thins out the shoe collection or the racks and racks of cloths that are never in style any longer even if they are just a few months old, at least it seems this way to me, but hey, what do I know?

Thanks for your suggestions and your comments. I've had this truck for a long time and think it may be a part of my DNA today, or maybe not.

Thank you all for taking the time to post and sharing your knowledge with me.

Best,

Test.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
DavidG

The original bed was 69 3/32" long and it hangs over the end of the frame to a very considerable extent so it is highly unlikely that the frame has been modified as a result of the bed having been shortened. Also, the tail gate on the bed is a '35-'36 version. The '32-'34 version was plain (no Ford script).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 086.jpg (44.4 KB, 42 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
Roger/Sacramento

If someone wants to just put it together and drive it around it could be worth $12,000. If a person wants to tear it apart and make everything new it could be worth $25,000. The problem with starting over the new parts cost a bunch and the bead blasting alone cost me $2,000. Then the body work and painting might cost $6,000. You would still have chrome, wiring, engine work and upholstery. I would pay $7,000 for it as it stands.

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
TomT/Williamsburg

Test O - not knowing what your exact plans are, and thinking you may be thinking about keeping it, many would give their eye teeth to have something that looks as clean as this. Restore it, build a driver, or an old school hot rod it doesn't matter - it's a 32 Ford p-up. Your pocketbook (or someone else's) will decide which way it will go.

However, if it were mine the V8-60 would go in it, put some rear gears in it so it's not screaming @ 50 mph and drive it as is. Not everything has to be all shiny and pretty - sometimes you just want a driver where you don't have to worry about it so much and you can enjoy it that much more. You've got some personal history with this vehicle as well, all the more reason to get it back on the road and as a simple every-day driver, that's the fastest way to do that. It's a great little truck to go get your Christmas tree with, don't cha think?! Once on the road, you can then decide whether to sell or keep.

To me, a restoration would take the most money and time (probably $20K invested for maybe a $25K return), an old school hot rod would be the next expensive and somnewhat less time depending on your build plans (probably $8-12K for around a $15K return), building it as a driver the cheapest and fastest "build" time ($5-6K with a $10-12K return), and selling it as is, depending on the area of the country it's going to, between $4-8K

Go lurk over on the Jalopyjournal and see what some guys have done, what they've sold, adn for what prices. Alot of talent there, loads of great ideas if you are not a die hard restorer, but I bet many, many of them would do just what I said above and have miles of smiles after doing it.

Sorry if I have offended anyone but some vehicles "tell" their owners which way to go, if they just take the time to listen ....

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 11-27-2012 at 01:15 PM.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Fordors

What would it bring? The answer in not to be found in dollars and cents. By your recollection you bought it almost 40 years ago from your F-I-L, that to me is worth something right there. I was close to my F-I-L but he was into Buicks, as in late model and rides like a cloud. I don't think he ever understood my attraction to '32 Fords.
I'm thinking you should put it back together with a modest budget and enjoy the memory of where it came from. For sure it looks like a great start for a fun driver.
I don't think that will burden you with the unfortunate moniker of "butcher rodder", it just shows you are someone who finds value in the past; be it a relationship or just some old car. Oh, and for every butcher rodder there is a hack restorer out there too.
Fordors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Test Osterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
The original bed was 69 3/32" long and it hangs over the end of the frame to a very considerable extent so it is highly unlikely that the frame has been modified as a result of the bed having been shortened. Also, the tail gate on the bed is a '35-'36 version. The '32-'34 version was plain (no Ford script).
Thank you, DavidG.

Good to know and personally, like the looks of the short box. Can it be determined what year the box might be from? The bed is ribbed metal. Perhaps a more detailed picture would be best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger/Sacramento View Post
If someone wants to just put it together and drive it around it could be worth $12,000. If a person wants to tear it apart and make everything new it could be worth $25,000. The problem with starting over the new parts cost a bunch and the bead blasting alone cost me $2,000. Then the body work and painting might cost $6,000. You would still have chrome, wiring, engine work and upholstery. I would pay $7,000 for it as it stands.
Thank you, Roger/Sacramento.

I am pretty sure that this would be a lower budget project if I elect to keep it in the collection. Doing a '63 356 Cab and have lots invested here, and with market prices the way they are today for the 356 Porsches, have a long way to go before spending trumps value. Not the same for the '32 B project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Test O - not knowing what your exact plans are, and thinking you may be thinking about keeping it, many would give their eye teeth to have something that looks as clean as this. Restore it, build a driver, or an old school hot rod it doesn't matter - it's a 32 Ford p-up. Your pocketbook (or someone else's) will decide which way it will go.

However, if it were mine the V8-60 would go in it, put some rear gears in it so it's not screaming @ 50 mph and drive it as is. Not everything has to be all shiny and pretty - sometimes you just want a driver where you don't have to worry about it so much and you can enjoy it that much more. You've got some personal history with this vehicle as well, all the more reason to get it back on the road and as a simple every-day driver, that's the fastest way to do that. It's a great little truck to go get your Christmas tree with, don't cha think?! Once on the road, you can then decide whether to sell or keep.

To me, a restoration would take the most money and time (probably $20K invested for maybe a $25K return), an old school hot rod would be the next expensive and somnewhat less time depending on your build plans (probably $8-12K for around a $15K return), building it as a driver the cheapest and fastest "build" time ($5-6K with a $10-12K return), and selling it as is, depending on the area of the country it's going to, between $4-8K

Go lurk over on the Jalopyjournal and see what some guys have done, what they've sold, adn for what prices. Alot of talent there, loads of great ideas if you are not a die hard restorer, but I bet many, many of them would do just what I said above and have miles of smiles after doing it.

Sorry if I have offended anyone but some vehicles "tell" their owners which way to go, if they just take the time to listen ....
Hi TomT and thanks for posting your thoughts. Not sure if I will ever know my "exact plans" for any one project I have on the front or the back burners. You are right that this truck has lots of potential and it might be a good one to haul the golf clubs in or to haul the bikes to the local riding trail. Many directions the project can take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
What would it bring? The answer in not to be found in dollars and cents. By your recollection you bought it almost 40 years ago from your F-I-L, that to me is worth something right there. I was close to my F-I-L but he was into Buicks, as in late model and rides like a cloud. I don't think he ever understood my attraction to '32 Fords.
I'm thinking you should put it back together with a modest budget and enjoy the memory of where it came from. For sure it looks like a great start for a fun driver.
I don't think that will burden you with the unfortunate moniker of "butcher rodder", it just shows you are someone who finds value in the past; be it a relationship or just some old car. Oh, and for every butcher rodder there is a hack restorer out there too.
Fordors, you hit the nail on the head. A ton of value here because of my FIL. A great fellow and a trusted mentor to me during my formative early adult life. Still, need to accurately asses the value of the rig to ensure what should be done; sell or keep.

No truer words spoken on the hack restorer.......

Again, my thanks to all of you that have taken the time to post your thoughts to this growing thread.

Best,

Test.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
Kahuna

I have to agree with Roger.
Here in California (northern, at least), trucks just don't sell for big money at all. My neighbor has a great 32 pickup body and frame, along with most of the parts to make it a complete truck. He couldn't get anyone to pay $5K.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
47 flatbed

Awesome truck. For some reason the trucks dont catch the big dollar here either, but I like em and will continue getting them back on the road.
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #15
columbiA

The V-8 60 cars usually had a 4.44 ratio R E & even then they would bog down on the hills.The B engine,while only rated at 50 HP has much more torque than the 60 and will out perform it on the hills even with 3.78 or 3.54 gears.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
al's28/33

Keep it as close to what you have and get it on the road. I bought my '33 V8 in 2004 for $10K and although it was all there, I spent another $9 to redo all the front end, fuel system and brakes including some minor body work to the wheel well fender where it had rotted away. Get a seat and rear cushion set from LeBaron Bonney and you are done........DRIVE IT!!! The pick-ups from 32-33-34 are rare to see in original condition and worth as much or more than most Model "A"s I get more compliments on my pickup than my '28 Phaeton.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
Uncle Bob

As you're probably aware, opinions on value are just that, opinions. Without the test of actually reaching for the wallet and pealing off the Benjamins, the numbers can be optimistic at times. In support of those who've opined at something under 10k as it sits, here are a couple of recent actual sales for fully assembled, running rigs........one a decent regional indicator in Royal City.

What you've got looks good in the pics and certainly has value, I hope you can figure out a positive choice for it's future.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item3a79217841

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item43b42b74aa
Old 11-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
Test Osterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
I have to agree with Roger.
Here in California (northern, at least), trucks just don't sell for big money at all. My neighbor has a great 32 pickup body and frame, along with most of the parts to make it a complete truck. He couldn't get anyone to pay $5K.
Thank you, Kahuna.

If I let mine go for $5K, think there would be a hole in my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 flatbed View Post
Awesome truck. For some reason the trucks dont catch the big dollar here either, but I like em and will continue getting them back on the road.
Thanks for the comments, 47 flatbed.

Good to read you are committed to keeping the history alive for these fine old trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiA View Post
The V-8 60 cars usually had a 4.44 ratio R E & even then they would bog down on the hills.The B engine,while only rated at 50 HP has much more torque than the 60 and will out perform it on the hills even with 3.78 or 3.54 gears.
Appreciate the technical information, columbiA.

I've wondered about the gears in this rig and figured that the '37 V-8 for something less than a "torque monster" and there is no surprise the 4 banger has more torque. Since there is a V-8 for it, that will go in the truck. Maybe headers would help......

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
Keep it as close to what you have and get it on the road. I bought my '33 V8 in 2004 for $10K and although it was all there, I spent another $9 to redo all the front end, fuel system and brakes including some minor body work to the wheel well fender where it had rotted away. Get a seat and rear cushion set from LeBaron Bonney and you are done........DRIVE IT!!! The pick-ups from 32-33-34 are rare to see in original condition and worth as much or more than most Model "A"s I get more compliments on my pickup than my '28 Phaeton.
Great advice, al's28/33.

Fix it up, and drive it. What's the word on mechanical brakes? Do the work and make sure all the components are top notch, or go to juice? Would agree that a stock appearing '32 pickup is far more appreciated than the rodded version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
As you're probably aware, opinions on value are just that, opinions. Without the test of actually reaching for the wallet and pealing off the Benjamins, the numbers can be optimistic at times. In support of those who've opined at something under 10k as it sits, here are a couple of recent actual sales for fully assembled, running rigs........one a decent regional indicator in Royal City.

What you've got looks good in the pics and certainly has value, I hope you can figure out a positive choice for it's future.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item3a79217841

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item43b42b74aa
Thanks for stopping by Uncle Bob and fellow PacNoWester.

Opinions and belly buttons, we all have them and I'm thankful we can express our opinions freely. This old truck is in pretty good shape, for what it is, and I'm certain, it will have a good home in my collection or at some other home. It is just a matter of time and interest.

Thanks for the links too. These bring some reality to the quest of assessing the relative value of this '32. Think that I will continue on a bit more in searching out what others have say about value and desirability.

Thanks to all of you for your time and for all of the information and interest in helping me gather the facts on this old truck.

Best,

Test.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
TJ

Clean it up, get it running and drive it. I bought a 41 pickup with old lacquer paint and some chrome Merc wheels and have more fun driving it than any other old Ford that I have owned. I was amazed at the number of people who just love this old truck and stop to comment on it. Just get it running and have fun. You already own it, so whatever you spend on it to get it roadworthy will not be wasted.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
ora masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
i think the bed is a model A tail gate is not model A A beds are a lot shorter than 32 i have both
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote