Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
Steve_Mack_CT

Default Question on Color Selection

What if any leeway is there on color, i.e correct Model A colors but overlap in model or model year? I have the color guide but not sure it addresses this.

I ask specifically as I am interested in a color (Ford Maroon) that is not one of the handful listed for the 30 Standard Roadster we are working on.

I have no intention of a high point car, but do want a reasonably correct car. Interior will be correct, appears to have all standard features. It does also have DSM & cowl lights which certainly could have been had in 30 on this model so they are staying. Engine is a '31 and I don't stay up at night worried about that.

But color is the big question. Right now it is a faded maroon we believe was Ford Maroon based on areas where paint was protected such as behind the door panels. I do not believe it was original to the car. But we love this color on the Model As we have seen with it.

Thorne Brown is a correct choice per the guides an alternative, but not quite as attractive to me. It is interesting that Thorne Brown seems to have red in it - some threads out there on that as well. Which leads to a related question in how much if any leeway is there in hue.

What about touring class judging in the event we were to give that a shot?

I figure it cannot be worse than all the converted Standards out there, especially early 30s. But I don't want to blunder in a big way either, so I thought this group would be a good one to ask.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-07-09 21.21.33.jpg (74.9 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Steve_Mack_CT; 10-26-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Steve_Mack_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
100IH

Default Re: Question on Color Selection

How would you do it if you were writing the rules ? What color measuring system would you recommend?
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
SeaSlugs

well judging by Henrys other practices of using what you have up - I'm sure january and maybe into feb saw leftover previous year paint colors to use it up. He wouldnt just let paint go to waste.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Will N

Sure, you have the right to paint your car any color you want. It's your car...for now. IMHO, we are just caretakers of these cars. Think about the next owner. If you are going to spend the money on a paint job, why not do it right and choose the correct color for the year and style? It will enhance the value.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
Steve_Mack_CT

100IH - I am not sure how that works. I have seen threads on efforts to get color as close as possible to original, with variations/concerns raised about just how good the chips are vs. a small patch of original paint, etc. There seem to be different schools of thought on that. So while I do not have an answer to that question, I am wondering if three or four Thorne Brown Model As were lined up, how closely they would match, and what is the guideline for what is acceptable. I get that there is a line between what the correct color is and a custom color. So I wonder how judges asses that.

SeaSlugs - yes, I have seen and heard that as well. I wonder if there is a difference in how many points one loses with an authentic color that is wrong for the model vs. a random color that is not correct for any Model A.

We have a ways to go but it is never too early to plan guys, right?
Old 10-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
Steve_Mack_CT

Thanks Will, I am also taking that aspect of it into consideration as well. I am more concerned with doing right by the car than resale, if that makes any sense.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The choice is yours but as for future sale to someone interested in guideline correctness the guidelines state,

" Color selection shall be limited to those which were available for the year and body style of the vehicle. "
Old 10-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
Steve_Mack_CT

Thanks Mike - I have an older copy of paint guidelines and judging standards but they have gone missing, so that is helpful info. I also found the link to Marco T's barnyard and that seems to be a great place to try color schemes out.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
100IH

I think Ford dodged the bullet by having a dark and light version of some of the colors, some of them are not mentioned in the color books. Maybe a bigger crap shoot 80 years ago than now with expensive hi-tech measuring equipment. Sort of like going to the moon with a paper road map available for free while the attendant cleaned your windows and checked the oil.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
Steve_Mack_CT

Agree, Ford was not building antiques for judging purposes!! Interestingly last night I found my color guide (MARC publication, 1991) which is not the most current but it was interesting. It actually notes the color I really want, Ford Maroon - as a rare, but available special order color (along with a few others) on the Deluxe roadsters only for 1930!!

I cannot imagine the Thorne Brown chip looks like the rendition on Marco's page - it is very, very dark and might work out ok, but I need to see some real examples first.

Going to continue to think on this. My car is solid and fairly straight but still going to be a $7 - 10K or so investment as discussed on another thread here, so it is worth thinkin' on for a while.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
ronn

Steve,
paint it the color you want. A beautiful maroon will not hurt the car and if it were possible-go for it!
Nothing like painting a car a color you are not in love with and regretting it the rest of your life.
you know what they say about resell maroon!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Steve,
paint it the color you want. A beautiful maroon will not hurt the car and if it were possible-go for it!
Nothing like painting a car a color you are not in love with and regretting it the rest of your life.
you know what they say about resell maroon!
I agree paint it the color you like - My 1930 Phaeton is painted Ford Maroon and I love it . Its still a ford color just later . I don't think a nice paint job in an almost correct year color will devalue the car. Yes there are people who demand absolute correctness in everything but there aren't many of them and if you are like the majority of us there will be many things on your car that look correct to 99.9% of us but actually aren't (for example my generator is some months later than my build date -I've yet to find anyone who notices or cares) I wouldn't suggest different colored guards (ie other than black ) or a fluoro-green metallic paint job as such a radical departure will IMHO drop the value.

Last edited by Karl; 10-27-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
29spcoupe

Steve, my 29 coupe is Thorn Brown. The color on Marco's site is different than mine. Don't know which is correct, but the brown on my coupe looks great to me. Not sure how it would be on a different body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment6.jpg (54.0 KB, 31 views)
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #14
Ed in Maine

Hello Steve, paint the car the color you want within reason. I would suggest however that you stick with the colors of the period. You will be mixing the paint because all the paint codes from years ago, that are available, do not apply to today's paints (urthanes, acrylic enamels). As an example, just take a look at all the shades of green that you see on Model As and they are all calling them Kewanee Green! If you found Maroon under a door panel, it could be the factory color. I restored a Model A years ago and found under the door panel where a Ford factory worker had written "Wblue" with a grease pencil. I protected that note from my repaint. So many times I do see owners trying to sell their Model As for high prices and there was no attempt to use a similar paint color from the Model A Ford Paint & Finish Guide. It will hurt you on resale. Ed
PS I used to belong to the CT Model A Restorers Club, I was president in 1982. They are a great group of guys. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #15
Steve_Mack_CT

Thanks guys, I am sure this comes up from time to time and I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on it!

John, agree - the paint on your coupe looks much richer in real life than on Marco's site. He sure has a lot of good info out there!!

Ed, that is really interesting - - friends of ours in West Hartford, CT did a Washington Blue '31 Deluxe Roadster that had that same note in the door!! That car was done in the mid - late 70s, my friend Rick still owns the car today - he and his father restored it to the point of winning many local shows, they were proud to have done that with an at home restoration. In fact, getting a ride shortly after completion is probably a big part of why I have mine today.

I am absolutely sticking with period colors for sure. I think, in my case though, someone did a thorough, amateur restoration on this car, but it was barn stored and basically ignored for a very long time.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #16
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29spcoupe View Post
Steve, my 29 coupe is Thorn Brown. The color on Marco's site is different than mine. Don't know which is correct, but the brown on my coupe looks great to me. Not sure how it would be on a different body.
love that color combo
Old 10-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #17
George Miller

A few years ago I restored a 1930 town sedan. When I took the gas tank out it had the original maroon paint on the back of the tank. Took it to the paint store and they matched it with the computer. It was dark maroon very nice color.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #18
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
A few years ago I restored a 1930 town sedan. When I took the gas tank out it had the original maroon paint on the back of the tank. Took it to the paint store and they matched it with the computer. It was dark maroon very nice color.
my 29 AA had partial paint on the gastank but was faded to an almost aqua color so i had no idea what color it was - could have been faded rock moss, faded gunmetal blue, or homeade paint job...

amazingly under the exterior door handles there was perfect rockmoss green paint even though every square inch of the rest of it was rust and i got to see what non rubbed out factory paint looked like and the color. kinda orange peely but glossy at the same time.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #19
Bruce Adams

The PAINT GUIDE defines CORRECT, but most enthusiasts, while knowing proper colors, don't know the ins and outs of which colors went to which models and years.
My suggestion is you follow the Paint Guide for the color and TRY to stay within the proper color for the model involved, but keep in mind most casual Model A Club members do not know all the rules
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #20
KenCoupe

According to the MAFCA website (mafca.com -> Techncial Q&A -> Paint Questions -> Color Charts by Year/Body Style) indicates Ford Maroon with Black sills, belt, etc. and Aurora Red stripe is a correct color combination for 1930 Roadsters and Phaetons.

http://www.mafca.com/tqa/p-30dph-drd.html

Ken
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote