Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
danny1940

Default New guy with questions update and big thanks

In my first Barn post I asked for opinions regarding possible pre-ignition at high RPM's. Thanks to everyone's input and Jim "Bubba" Linder, my 8BA has never run better. I had a friend put my Offy heads on his Bridgeport to unshroud the plugs. After this I opened the flame path just a little. Bubba re curved my Mallory. Since I had the heads off, I ended up replacing the water pumps, putting on new motor mounts, re-routing the oil lines, gas lines, cleaning up some wiring under the hood, polishing the heads and painting the finned area to match the block, going through the carbs, polishing up the intake and bunch more items just to clean and bring things up to date. I also repainted my wheels and changed up the look. I had purchased new tail pipes and Porters from Reds but didn't get them on yet.

My goal was to get everything done in time for York. With my limited spare time, I buttoned up everything on the Friday night before leaving for York. I told my buddy riding shot gun that we might be walking home or coming back on the hook.

The 40 never ran so well. Seat of pants felt like the power was up. It felt much stronger with plenty of pull either running on one carb or two. Sounded better at the exhaust as well. Cleaner crisper sound. My friend commented that he felt it was running much better as well. I had not had the heads off since I built this engine and wasn't aware of the plug problem. I'm sure the head work and the dizzy re-curve were what I needed. I'm very appreciative of everyone's comments and suggestions. I've since become addicted to the Ford Barn and get on the site a number of times each day. If I can master doing pictures, I'll send some along.

Thanks again. I'm so glad to be part of this community and also driving a Flathead. The wealth of expertise here is phenomenal. Dan
danny1940 is offline   Reply With Quote