Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2024, 08:43 PM   #21
paul2748

Default Re: 1956 Ford gauge Cluster for my 55

Yup WRONG AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I am just so happy for you ...

When you say 'dash', are you referring to the instrument cluster or the complete instrument dash panel?

Below (ATTACHED) is a 1955 BIRD ASTRA-DIAL (FORD) INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. It is not the same as a 1956 or 1957 BIRD - (- EDIT - WRONG AGAIN

ASTRA-DIAL - HEMMINGS - https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1955-ford

It would be nice if everyone could get on the same level describing something as a simple as a car.

The first one I saw was in a friends 1954 FORD (this was about 1963). I could not get over how archaic the damn thing looked then. But I recovered, I survived.

Then it really happened, I saw for the first time an H4000 carbetrator. I was blind for a week. And then (when sober) I actually bought a damn 55 BIRD. What a piece of mechanical crap that was. Between the no run, hemorrhoid burning 6V nightmare that it was, I finally took a couple booster shots of penicillin and ridded myself of that nightmare.

I understand their worth, but I would never want another one of them. The damn engine is held upright with ski-poles.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:46 PM   #22
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 1956 Ford gauge Cluster for my 55

Quote:
Which book do you think would be of good use to me for my 55 ford ranch wagon? Than I can go looking for that specific book and order it.
CD or USB -

https://www.detroitironis.com/ford_cds.html
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 01:37 PM   #23
poolplayer1

Thanks Paul. I went to the local salvage yard yesterday to look around and see if they had any 55 or 56 wagons and I saw a 56 wagon which had most of the parts gone, including the fuel sending unit. I did however see that the fuel gauge was still there so I took it out and when I did, at the bottom of the gauge was stamped 12 volts. That I guess means that this wagon was one of the 56 that was origionally a 12 v system. Too bad the sending unit was gone otherwise I would of bought both as a matched pair. Anyway, I am going to install this gauge in the morning on my wagon but I have a question for you or anybody that can answer my question. Since the wires on the back of my gauge are just hanging down out of the gauge itself, when I connect the two wires to the good gauge, does it matter which wire goes where? In other words, can I connect the powered wire to any terminal on the gauge or does it go only to one of the specific terminal on the gauge? I know one is the 12 volt and the other is the sender.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 02:33 PM   #24
miker98038

Poolplayer1, here’s the link to that old King Seeley post. To the best of my knowledge and experience, it’s accurate. Bergman had some other posts in more detail, but they seem to have vanished. But they may come up with the right search. I’m not very good at that.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic22135-1.aspx

If your vehicle is still 6 volts, that’s “A”. If it’s converted to 12, that’s “B” and another set of answers. But to the best of my knowledge you cannot mix the oem 6volt sender, fuel or temp, with the 12 volt gauge. The thermal characteristics are going to be different as the milliamperes remain the same but the voltage increases.

Also note the comment in the thread thread about grounding at the fuel tank sender. I’ve seen a lot of comments over the years where that was the problem.

If you go search King Seeley a lot of the comments come up on Jeep and other sites. But that’s ok, the operating and trouble shooting are pretty much the same.

You should be able to put together the right parts and get things so they read close enough to use. I’m mainly concerned about the real engine temp (from an infrared thermometer) when it gets well into the hot range. And I want to know when there’s a 1/4 tank left so I can go looking for a gas station. If you can live with that, I know you can get there.
miker98038 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:12 PM   #25
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
... Since the wires on the back of my gauge are just hanging down out of the gauge itself, when I connect the two wires to the good gauge, does it matter which wire goes where? In other words, can I connect the powered wire to any terminal on the gauge or does it go only to one of the specific terminal on the gauge? I know one is the 12 volt and the other is the sender.
No it doesn't matter, it's a heating coil. See photo 1.
Whichever wire locations make for cleaner looking installation.

Here's a link to a page about 6v to 12 conversion. It's written for '55 T-Birds but much of it should apply to what you're up to over there.

https://www.ctci.org/battery-for-6v-to-12v-conversion/

The style of the face of the gauges changed between years and models. I believe 55's are the same from full-sized car to T-bird. In '56 the full-sized cars got an updated dash cluster (it looks similar to the '57 T-bird dash but isn't) and the '56 T-bird dash cluster wasn't updated from '55, except electrically. And would look virtually the same as the dash cluster in your '55, if you go that way.
Fyi the '55/'56 T-bird speedometers display to 150 and the full-sized cars 120 mph.

The '55/'56 King-Seeley gauges and sensors function on heat generated by current flow thru switching contacts in the sensor. Not a variable resistor like the '57+ sensors have. Photo 2.

They are not polarity sensitive but the '55, '56 & '57 gauges & sensors are one-year-only and work as matched pairs. The electrical design of the parts for each year are different from the others, not interchangeable except as pairs. '56 Temp sensors 'may' be marked 12v, since they look virtually the same as '55 & earlier.
If you find any of them, the '57+ style sensors are smaller than the earlier versions. Photo 3.

'55 was designed for 6v, '56 gauges operated on full 12 volts and '57 while the vehicles were 12v the gauges had a switching voltage regulator/reducer so they operate at approx 6 to 8 'average' volts.

Quote:
I was looking at this gauge cluster for the 56 ford. I am wondering if you guys think it might work on my 55 wagon. I am going to attach a picture of the cluster so you guys can look at it and maybe tell me whether you think it will work on my 55 wagon. Thanks
It might be easier to swap in the whole dashboard shell from a '56 full-sized car into your '55 if you don't want to fabricate the hood that goes over the cluster??? Example photos 4 & 5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 'King Seeley' fuel gauge diagram '55 positive ground.jpg (71.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg '57 fuel gauge circuit 2 c.jpg (47.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 55-56 & 57+ style temp sensors.jpg (35.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 55-Victoria dash.jpg (73.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 56 ford full-sized.jpg (82.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-24-2024 at 05:05 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:54 PM   #26
1956 ford

1956 dash is a 6v gauge that is y they use a dash regulator from 12v to 6v between ign
And gauges
1956 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:56 PM   #27
1956 ford

If you need the dash I have them
1956 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 05:03 PM   #28
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956 ford View Post
1956 dash is a 6v gauge that is y they use a dash regulator from 12v to 6v between ign
And gauges
'56 didn't originally use a voltage regulator like '57+ did. '56 was originally a full 12 volt setup for the Fuel & Temp gauges. Which may not have worked as they'd hoped since it was changed for '57.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash gauge voltage regulator.jpg (18.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-24-2024 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:11 PM   #29
paul2748

Incorrect. All 56's used 12 volt gauges and no reducer/regulator. In 57 Ford went back to 6 volt gauges and used a regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956 ford View Post
And gauges
Old 01-24-2024, 08:16 PM   #30
KULTULZ

It is still open to debate after all of these years and changeovers.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:17 AM   #31
poolplayer1

Thanks to all for your great help. Man, if I just had half the knowledge that you guys have, I would be a great mechanic, which I'm sure you guys are. So, since the fuel gauge that I just bought came out of a 56 and since it reads 12 volt on its body, I will just wire the 12v directly to the gauge without the regulator. Now, the fuel tank sending unit that I am using right now (according to Macs) can be used with eighter a 6 volt or a 12 volt system. ( I don't really think it works right)
If this sending unit does not work correctly, should I look for a 56 ford wagon unit? That would be a 12 volt unit which would be comparable to my 12 volt gauge,correct?
From what I understand, the 55 cars had a 17 gallon tank where as the wagon had a 19 gallon tank. So, looking for a sending unit from a 55 car would not work in my wagon. Thanks to all of you for the links .
Old 01-25-2024, 02:11 PM   #32
miker98038

In terms of the sender, the important part is the depth of the tank, assuming it’s a regular rectangular tank. Often times the arm will need to be bent so the float rests just above the bottom. If you’ve got an access plate to the tank when installed (the birds do, I don’t know about the cars and wagons) you can measure it and figure it out. I prefer a wooden ruler, metal on metal sparks in a open tank aren’t good. Then you can connect it, run a ground jumper, and see where it reads. Don’t forget the King Seeley’s have some reaction time, so be patient.

I don’t know what you’ve got from Mac’s, but there’s been numerous complaints of senders that don’t work because they are not matched to the King Seeley’s.

Yes, 56 sender is the only option for a 56 gauge. I know the Thunderbird guys sell the right one, and maybe they can be adapted. If someone with a bird apart can give you the mounting hole size and the depth, that would tell the story.
miker98038 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 06:27 PM   #33
dmsfrr

Quote:
... If this sending unit does not work correctly, should I look for a 56 ford wagon unit? That would be a 12 volt unit which would be comparable to my 12 volt gauge,correct?
From what I understand, the 55 cars had a 17 gallon tank where as the wagon had a 19 gallon tank. So, looking for a sending unit from a 55 car would not work in my wagon. Thanks to all of you for the links .
A '55 sensor connected to a '56 gauge? I believe it won't work correctly, but never say never.
New replacement wagon specific sensors may or may not be available, I've never looked.

You may have to make do with the '56 'car' version sensor that should(?) look nearly the same and have the same mounting flange as a '55 wagon part but be marked 12 volt. Bending the float arm down slightly to get more accurate readings toward the bottom of the larger tank may work out? Knowing how close to empty it really is, is what you need.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-27-2024 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:33 PM   #34
poolplayer1

The guy from the wrecking yard called me this morning to tell me that he just got a 56 Ford Country sedan that still has the fuel sending unit in it. I asked him if could check the Vin or serial # to make sure it is a 56 and not 55 or 57. He called me back and told me it was a 56 for sure because the vin starts with M6 which he said the M stands for engine size and meant it was a 292 and the 6 for 1956. So, if I get this sending unit from this wagon, it should be a 12 volt sender, right? Since the fuel gauge came from a 56 wagon and is marked 12 volt, they should communicate with each other at least to give me a decent true reading. Are there any markings on this sender I should look for so that I can make it is 12 volt? Or, how else can I find out if this wagon is 12 volt or 6 volt. Of course there will be no battery on it. That would tell the story.
Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:27 PM   #35
paul2748

I repeat what I said - all 56 Fords were 12 volts. Period. Cars, trucks and Thunderbirds. Others have said the same thing.

Chances are that the wagon sending unit is different than a regular sedan as the tanks are different but I don't know for sure..

Quote:
The guy from the wrecking yard called me this morning to tell me that he just got a 56 Ford Country sedan that still has the fuel sending unit in it. I asked him if could check the Vin or serial # to make sure it is a 56 and not 55 or 57. He called me back and told me it was a 56 for sure because the vin starts with M6 which he said the M stands for engine size and meant it was a 292 and the 6 for 1956. So, if I get this sending unit from this wagon, it should be a 12 volt sender, right? Since the fuel gauge came from a 56 wagon and is marked 12 volt, they should communicate with each other at least to give me a decent true reading. Are there any markings on this sender I should look for so that I can make it is 12 volt? Or, how else can I find out if this wagon is 12 volt or 6 volt. Of course there will be no battery on it. That would tell the story.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:23 AM   #36
dmsfrr

Quote:
The guy from the wrecking yard called me this morning to tell me that he just got a 56 Ford Country sedan that still has the fuel sending unit in it. ......
If it were me and he wants a reasonable price for it, I'd buy it.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:35 PM   #37
poolplayer1

Thanks Guys. I went over saturday to buy the fuel sender from a 56 country sedan wagon. I will probably start installing it tomorrow. Hopefully it will work out ok for me.
I'll let you know.