Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #21
kelley's restoration

Default Re: Help a Newbie thinking about buying a 1929 Model A

the other thing to think about is the cost of the restoration. if you do the work yourself then it will be another $10-15,000 to get it back together correctly. you say your not a mechanic so i actually think you should just save up some more coin and buy a running driving need some tinkering model a. I don't want to be a buzz kill but chances are that this car will not be put back together by you. Not that it couldn't be, but that for your first project with no other assembly experiance...it could be a bit overwelming...
no disrespect at all.
tk
Old 02-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
Farrell In Vancouver

Model T Monte is right! Once you get going on the restoration, you immediatley cut back on the calorie intake.
1. The part of the sandwhich that you have been holding may no longer be fit to eat, due to grease, or body filler, or 600W lube.
2. Worrying and pacing the shop floor waiting for the parts to come in, burns up the wieght.
3. Trading labour with the niehbor putting up his fence, so he'll help you get the new engine in, burns lots too
4. The cost of parts usually consumes a lot of the money you may have been spending on HoHo's and Beers.
Its all way more fun than the "Honey Dew" list, but you still have to keep doing that as well.
I am 1/4 inch shy of 6'3" 219 Lbs and have no problems driving my special coupe.
Go fer it, Getter dun, and good luck!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #23
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver View Post
Model T Monte is right! Once you get going on the restoration, you immediatley cut back on the calorie intake.
1. The part of the sandwhich that you have been holding may no longer be fit to eat, due to grease, or body filler, or 600W lube.
2. Worrying and pacing the shop floor waiting for the parts to come in, burns up the wieght.
3. Trading labour with the niehbor putting up his fence, so he'll help you get the new engine in, burns lots too
4. The cost of parts usually consumes a lot of the money you may have been spending on HoHo's and Beers.
Its all way more fun than the "Honey Dew" list, but you still have to keep doing that as well.
I am 1/4 inch shy of 6'3" 219 Lbs and have no problems driving my special coupe.
Go fer it, Getter dun, and good luck!
Farrell, I agree with you. I wouldn't trade my 29 Special coupe for anything and compared to what I (and I think, you) started with it looks like an easy restoration. I did my coupe in 1980 and sold off a lot of Model A's in the time since but this one is the most fun and it's a keeper and I'm 6'-2" myself.
Regards, Barry B.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
Farrell In Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
Farrell, I agree with you. I wouldn't trade my 29 Special coupe for anything and compared to what I (and I think, you) started with it looks like an easy restoration. I did my coupe in 1980 and sold off a lot of Model A's in the time since but this one is the most fun and it's a keeper and I'm 6'-2" myself.
Regards, Barry B.
Well stated Barry, this one looks mighty easy compared to the pile O rust I started with.
If all the running gear is there and ready, and it looks like he's got the glass, I'd guess all thats left is the body and pain(back to 28-29 colors), roof and visor, (Test for leaks) interior, and put air in the tires.
I bet he'll be done this time next year despite his worry of his skill sets.
Plus! He has found the best forum in the world for help!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #25
Fred K-OR

Go for it. Good buy and good hobby!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #26
newshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley's restoration View Post
the other thing to think about is the cost of the restoration. if you do the work yourself then it will be another $10-15,000 to get it back together correctly. you say your not a mechanic so i actually think you should just save up some more coin and buy a running driving need some tinkering model a. I don't want to be a buzz kill but chances are that this car will not be put back together by you. Not that it couldn't be, but that for your first project with no other assembly experiance...it could be a bit overwelming...
no disrespect at all.
tk
That's the initial conclusion I came to. So I bought a finished car. It was the right choice for me.

But don't be discouraged, Matt. You can probably do this.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
Jason in TX

It looks like a great candidate for a restoration, but for a person starting out in the hobby, the fun part is participating in the drives, and being around the people.

I would suggest getting a car that is already on the road. You will still be working on it often (Always doing something to my restored Cabby) and will learn a lot about what it takes to keep a Model A driving down the road.

Then, as your second Model A project, get one that you are going to build up. It really helps when you are frustrated and want to give up, to have a back up car that you can jump in, drive around the block, and remember why you think bloody knuckles, sore back and sleepless nights are so fun.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #28
mathew21

Thanks everyone. I'm still going to think about it. Usually I just jump right into something. I'm going to look at it Saturday, Then he said he will give me some time to figure out if I want it or not. I will bring a camera with me and take lots of pictures. If I decide not to buy it maybe I will post it up for him on here.

I really don't want a fully restored car. Don't get me wrong I think they are Beautiful. But I like the used look with great mechanics.

Anyway Thanks again. Matt
mathew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #29
ivoryjohn

Talking Re: Help a Newbie thinking about buying a 1929 Model A

"My only obstacle now..." You're 99% home!

Lets hope you are on the road this weekend with a trailer and a shovel to retrieve your treasure and scattered parts. Nobody has mentioned the shovel yet I noticed but for every project car I have ever been involved with a large coal scoop would have been useful retrieving all the various parts and pieces not packed away carefully in boxes and coffee cans. Don't let the old guy hold out on you, take home even the parts he was going to throw away. There will invariably be that "I didn't know if you might want this," moment but you never know what valuable jewel you might glean from his left overs. That rusted through dented beyond repair tail light he was going to throw out might serve to show you what style was correct on the car or supply a missing screw later on. I don't know what to do with my used and not usable radiator shell but I have one hanging on my fence as yard art.
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #30
Ed Saniewski

Matt, I knew nothing about cars, specially Model A's but I wanted a hobby I could get involved in. The first thing is to join a local Model A club. Even if you don't buy this car. These guys will help you in so many ways. When I was restoring my first car, one member actually brought his car over so I had something to look at and see where things went. My car was like yours that it was in a million parts but it all went back together and I have toured all over with it. Good luck.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #31
Model T Monte

Matt 21, It`s a must do situation. It`s good therapy. Look at it like this, all married people have arguments, right? So, buy the project, and when an argument breaks out, go to the garage or just outside to work on the car an mutter to youself. You lose interest in whatever was the issue an more involded with item your workin on. End of argument, and a happy wife that needed some alone time anyway. LOL Monte
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #32
Cider Mill

I'm 6'3" and 305 lb. I can fit in my 30 Town Car just barely - with the seat adjusted all the way back. I got a Model A when I was 15 and fixed it up - never worked on a car before. Short answer is YES, BUY IT! Join a club to give the members a chance to help.
Cider Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #33
pick

I agree with the people encouraging you to buy & disagree with the nay sayers. Easiest cars to work on / restore are a Model "A" or a VW. Plenty of parts and knowledgable folks around. IT's a great hobby. You needn't be in a hurry. Enjoy the rebuild and do what you can as $ allows. The car looks like a great candidate & you'll enjoy every minute of the restoration / have pride in the work you've accomplished / and of course enjoy the touring and comraderie of friends whrn completed. Go for it!!!
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #34
mathew21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick View Post
I agree with the people encouraging you to buy & disagree with the nay sayers. Easiest cars to work on / restore are a Model "A" or a VW. Plenty of parts and knowledgable folks around. IT's a great hobby. You needn't be in a hurry. Enjoy the rebuild and do what you can as $ allows. The car looks like a great candidate & you'll enjoy every minute of the restoration / have pride in the work you've accomplished / and of course enjoy the touring and comraderie of friends whrn completed. Go for it!!!

Well if it's a s easy a Vw I should be all set. I restored a 1962 Beetle for my Wife 10 years ago.. I do have quite a bit of experience in working on cars and trucks. I used to be real big in 4x4 trucks. I have tore a couple of Jeeps totally apart and redid them. Thing for me come a lot easier when I tare somethings apart, Then I know how it goes back together. One of my best friend owns a auto repair shop. He keeps telling me we can do this without a problem.

Can someone point me to a website that sells parts like new hardware kits (nut and bolts).

Thanks again for all the reply's.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #35
Jason in TX

The very first link or "Sticky" on the Model A FordBarn Forum has all the links to companies that you would need to do everything on your Model A. Click the following

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17518

You definitely be using the Parts Houses links.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #36
mathew21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
The very first link or "Sticky" on the Model A FordBarn Forum has all the links to companies that you would need to do everything on your Model A. Click the following

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17518

You definitely be using the Parts Houses links.

Thank you
Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #37
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpy View Post
sounds like a very good deal ...the condition of the body looks good....but I would look for any patch panels....ask the history of the car ...how many owners and any paper work---since he spent possibly a grand re-chroming,,, the price is worth it!
check the body with a Magnetfor any Bondo goodluk.
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #38
Deluxe Delivery Don

Matt, I know you have looked at this car and seems like a great car to restore. But do you know if this car is really what want. Only you can anwser that question. You my really want a Tudor, Fordor Sedan, open car, or a Truck. Take your time and think what your needs could or should be . Good luck. Don
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #39
newshirt

There's one thing that would help this discussion: hard numbers.

On average, how many man-hours and dollars does it cost to do a restoration? (It's more than a long weekend and a case of beer.) I understand there are many factors, most obvious the condition of the car you start with. But can we come up with an honest range?

Including chassis, body, paint, wood, upholstery, engine, electrical, tools, and fit-and-finish, how many hours does it take? And how much money?

Matt may not need to know these numbers, but it would certainly help me, if/when I get up the nerve for such an undertaking.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #40
mathew21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe Delivery Don View Post
Matt, I know you have looked at this car and seems like a great car to restore. But do you know if this car is really what want. Only you can anwser that question. You my really want a Tudor, Fordor Sedan, open car, or a Truck. Take your time and think what your needs could or should be . Good luck. Don

I want a Coupe my Wife wants me to buy a Sedan. The owner gave until Feb 19th to decide if I want to buy it or not.