Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default A new Battery that would be cool in 6 volts

In Louisville this past weekend, there was a new product displayed that I took some pictures of. To show the size, please overlook my hand and just use the money as a way to judge the size. Pull out a bill from your wallet and compare the size!!

In the "perfect world", this would be an awesome battery to enclose in an old Ford script battery case, --especially if they could cut it down and make a 6 volt version. I spoke with the owner of the company and that is not in the future plans but we could always wish!!

In the current form, it is NOT a gell or acid battery and so its life expectancy is supposed to be 7 or 8 years with no discharge just from sitting in a car not being used. Cold Cranking amps from this little battery is over 1000 amps (!!) and weighs a little over 10 lbs. That could possibly be 500 CCA in a 6 volt version which would compensate for a "worn" wiring harness with dirty terminals. The unit is less than 3" thick, so it can be mounted under the seat of a Model A, --or even behind the kick panel! Pretty cool huh??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3448.jpg (52.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3449.jpg (53.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3450.jpg (44.3 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3451.jpg (60.1 KB, 170 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Reds34

Default Re: A new Battery that would be cool in 6 volts

Wow, that's a small battery (and a large bill).

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
CWPASADENA

WOW, I have been using the Optma 6V Batterys but this one looks even better. Someone needs to make a version that will go into a regular early Ford case.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Uncle Bob

That battery looks a lot like the AGM (absorbent glass mat, essentially dry cell) batteries made by Hawker. They offer it in two series (but no 6v listed) in that size. In the Hawker Genesis line that size would be a G16EP or G16EPX, and then their up scale military grade is the Odyssey PC680. These are rated at 1600ah, 220cca in 12v. I've got a couple buddies who fire their modified Chev 350s with them for several years now. Great technology.

The guy you talked to is likely remarketing these. I'd be surprised if he's willing to pay for 1000+ cca developement, I'll bet he was talking ah, or confused the two terms.

Here's a PDF doc if you want to learn more about Hawker and the technology:http://www.commutercars.com/downloads/HawkerGuide.pdf

I believe it's Antique Auto Battery who puts these in replica cases, I got one a couple years ago for my Hemi Dodge trunk mount truck style batt. Full size case with an AGM (higher amp than the ones above) inside.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
corvette8n

How much are they gonna cost?
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

$180.00 +/- as I recall. I will see if I can find the website.

Actually I just went to their website. http://www.luxfordautoparts.com/disp...ls&ItemID=1263 Maybe he does have the CCA numbers confused but you can see on his website that he is advertising it as 1012 cranking amps. It looks like the battery is about $190.00.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 08-09-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added more info......
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
CCWKen

There's nothing new about AGM batteries. They've been around for years but these don't sound like AGM format. Must be something else like zinc-air or similar. By federal law, they must give the current ratings for starter batteries. I couldn't find it anywhere on the site unless it's buried so maybe these aren't starter batteries and the 1012 Ampere figure is a dead short rating.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
$180.00 +/- as I recall. I will see if I can find the website.

Actually I just went to their website. http://www.luxfordautoparts.com/disp...ls&ItemID=1263 Maybe he does have the CCA numbers confused but you can see on his website that he is advertising it as 1012 cranking amps. It looks like the battery is about $190.00.
I hate to whiz on an enterprising entrepreneur, but then there's the needs of our "cummunity" in mind too. If he's rebranding as I suspect (what his site touts as "new" technology and features are not really new to folks who've known about these for over 15 years), then these units can be had for quite a bit less. A simple google/bing search for the names I posted above would reveal many, many options. We see this sort of thing on lots of products: Eastwood rebrands lot of products that can be bought for less at local body shop supply jobbers. Griot's relabels other peoples products. The latest is oil with the older additive packages selling for somewhere around 4X the "old price". These folks do a better job of advertising, provide a service to people who don't want to invest time to dig deeper (I'd bet at least 3/4 of the people who saw my link to the Hawker brochure above never bothered to look at it), and deserve a reward for their efforts. But, on the other hand, that's why we join these kinds of boards, to share info we hope is beneficial to others of like mind.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Kahuna

Look up Odysey Batteries. Same thing and 1/2 the cost
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Uncle Bob

Here's a better brochure for the Odyssey brand that has more in it than the one I referrenced above: http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...-ALTV_0610.pdf

Apparently Hawker markets the Odyssey through an alternate corp. known as Enersys.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Kahuna

Another one is the Braille battery. Similar design, higher price
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
Uncle Bob

Yeah, I suspect it's like the conventional lead/acid market, very few manufacturers, lots of rebranders.

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 08-09-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
rotorwrench

We use 2 of the big 12-volt Odyssey batteries in stead of 4 big 6-volt batteries in our start cart for the helicopters. They do pretty well for the first 2 -years then they start to fall off gradually. The turbine helicopters have a 24-volt system and can use up to 450 amps to start depending on conditions. I can't complain about them but they are a high end battery. One of the few for the price that will put out decent amps.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
Chris in WNC

"Pull out a bill from your wallet and compare the size!!"

Brent,
I pulled out a bill from my wallet and compared the size. my bill did not have as many zeros as yours :-)

seriously, if they can make a 6V like that, it would be no more expensive than buying 2 or 3 conventional batteries over the same 7-8 years.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote