Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Wilbur

Default Manual Windshield Wiper

My 28 Briggs Fordor has no wiper at this time and l would like to install a manual setup, as l have on my Model T. There are various holes in the area from past motors. In looking through the vendors catalogues, l see a manual wiper for open cars. What mods would it take to make it work on the Fordor and would I still be able to open the windshield?
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Manual Windshield Wiper

Manual wipers, I believe, need a small tube through a windshield to mount the manual wiper (like a 28-30 CCPU has). I don't know how 28 phaetons and roadsters had their manual wipers mounted. I might be best to look at a manual wiper in an existing car to see how it needs to be.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Fred K-OR

Wilbur, my 29 ccpu had a manual wiper. Like Rusty mentioned it had a small tube that the rod from the wiper to the handle went through. If you have multiple holes in the windshield, a couple of those holes may be the ones that held the original wiper motor in place. They likely would be the small holes on the outer ends of the holes. Maybe what you could do would be to construct a plate maybe 6 inches long by maybe 1 inch wide and weld a tube in the center of it to put the rod through and use the outer small holes to bolt it in place on your windshield frame. This would also cover up the additional holes you are not using.

You can buy these manual wiper combinations from most of the vendors. After installed it will not affect the opening of the windshield.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Rene R

I have a '28 Briggs Fordor as well. It came with a manual wiper installed. It simply went through the large center hole where the original on/off switch fit. The two holes to mount the original wiper had been plugged with some sort of putty. I left it that way for a while but finally bought a restored original electric wiper and unplugged the mounting holes to put it back to original.

I probably still have the manual wiper somewhere. If you want it, I'd gladly give it to you for free -- assuming I can find it in that giant pile of clutter I call a workshop. Best way to contact me is by email since I don't log in here regularly -- [email protected].
Rene R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Brian T

Hello Wilbur,
Here are a few pics to help you decide, I have a manual wiper on my our Double A, I once wanted to install a vacuum wiper and was advised to keep things simple, this advice I took and stayed with the manual.
To give you vision as to how the manual wiper mounts here is a pic of the bracket and tube, which is not available, also a pic from Marco Tahtaras showing the mounting holes for varies years of installation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MODEL A MANUAL WIPER MOUNT.jpg (4.0 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg WIPER MOTOR MOUNTING.jpg (63.3 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Brian T; 03-13-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added text
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
jdpalmer

I have 1929 Roadster and want to put manual wiper on it too but there is no hole in windshield frame. Do you still one
Old 06-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpalmer View Post
I have 1929 Roadster and want to put manual wiper on it too but there is no hole in windshield frame. Do you still one
I have a bag full of holes....... No, wait! It's empty.
More seriously, if you can avoid it, don't buy one of those Vintique wipers. Like everything else they sell, they are JUNK.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #8
CarlG

When I bought my '31 CCPU, it had a manual wiper. The rebber was rotted off of it, so I bought one of the manual wipers from one of the vendors. It never did work well. Next step was to put aftermarket electric wipers from Newport Engineering. They fit and work perfectly. Highly recommend them.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote